Bratislava Watchmen Press Conference

FrostBeard

• 2 weeks later...

:brt: Watchmen Press Conference :brt:

1. What do you hope to achieve with your player and the Watchmen this season?

2. What are your long-term goals for your player?

3. Who do you think will the cup this season and why?

4. What can the management do to make your time in Bratislava more enjoyable?

5. Who is your favourite NHL team and why?
6. If you were forced to eat one food every day for the rest of your life, what would it be? (You can eat other food too)

• 2 weeks later...

1. What do you hope to achieve with your player and the Watchmen this season?

I hope to improve my player. I also want to be the best teammate I can. I want to be able to contribute to the team and hopefully take us to the top.

2. What are your long-term goals for your player?

To be the best teammate I can be. I guess setting some records along the way would be nice, but that is not my goal. I want to go down in the annals of VHL lore as the best overall teammate in the league.

3. Who do you think will the cup this season and why?

Us of course! Who else would I back but the awesome team I am a part of!

4. What can the management do to make your time in Bratislava more enjoyable?

Provide guidance in what I can do to improve. I want to take advantage of the experience everyone else has in the league to make my player the best I can be.

5. Who is your favourite NHL team and why?

Carolina Hurricanes. I am from North Carolina. Can I admit that prior to sim leagues I never really paid attention to the NHL?

6. If you were forced to eat one food every day for the rest of your life, what would it be? (You can eat other food too)

Carrot cake. But not just any carrot cake, the recipe that my Grandmother used. She did share it with my wife before she passed away so I still get it on special occasions.

For anyone who needs a press conference...

1. Who do you feel is the undervalued player on the Watchmen?

2. If you could start your career over, what is one thing you would change?

3. Do we make the playoffs? If so, who do you want to face?

4. Who do you think is that one team that we just cant seem to play well against?

5. Plans for the off-season? Anything interesting?

I guess I will answer my own questions, lol

G Jonny Elgar. I think goalies are so often considered an after-thought. But I think a good goalie can make up for the flaws in a defense. 

Some of the progression choices I made, I would do differently. It is tough to figure out what to do at the beginning. 

I hate to say it, but I dont think we do. We are just too inconsistent. 

4. Who do you think is that one team that we just cant seem to play well against?

Istanbul. Maybe it is where I have seen them as our opponents, but it seems like we cant seem to get one over on them

Practice, practice and more practice....oh...and going home for a few days. I miss my family...

Everyone on the team is undervalued! They deserve more recognition.

I wouldn't change anything. I'm very happy with how my player's career has gone.

I sure hope so. I don't know who we would face though.

I am optimistic that we play well against everybody!

Just recreated so gotta start earning that TPE and get drafted.

1. We are nearing the end of the season. What are your hopes for your player next season?
2. Which team would you most like to see win the VHLM trophy (doesn’t need to be one with an actual chance)?
3. It is GM Rory’s birthday (not in real life). What gift are you getting them? Are you going for cheap and quick or do you want to give the best gift out of all the players?
4. Why does your player have the name they have?
5. If you could totally get rid of one sport as if it never existed, what sport would it be and why?
6. If you had to bring an animal onto the ice with you every game, what animal would it be and why?

1. Make it to the playoffs and improve.

2. Us! 

3. The best dog tog in the world(also very durable) and make it the best out of all the players although I'm sure everyone would give very good gifts.

4.Because the original name wast to long so I shortened it and voila Jonny Elgar

5. Golf. The most boring sport in the world. Although I would keep mini golf because it is more interesting and you do not need a lot of money for it.

6. Dog. They are cute and it could be the

team mascot like Davy Jones was for the kraken.

14 hours ago, dylanjj37 said:

1. We are nearing the end of the season. What are your hopes for your player next season?
2. Which team would you most like to see win the VHLM trophy (doesn’t need to be one with an actual chance)?
3. It is GM Rory’s birthday (not in real life). What gift are you getting them? Are you going for cheap and quick or do you want to give the best gift out of all the players?
5. If you could totally get rid of one sport as if it never existed, what sport would it be and why?
6. If you had to bring an animal onto the ice with you every game, what animal would it be and why?

1. Randy Bobandy is still focused on a strong finish with Seattle as we get closer to playoffs. If he were to think about next season it would be hoping for 100 points. Bobandy wants at least one 100+ point season.

2. Houston! For no reason at all, just a random team I like.

3. Cheap and quick is all you'd want on your birthday, right? Anyways for GM Rory they would receive nothing less than of a Juan Ceson golden statue (very high quality).

4. I was watching Trailer Park Boys around the time of my player's creation so Randy inspired me. Was going to do Bubbles but people would think my name was soap bubbles or whatever.

5. If F1 is considered a sport then I would get rid of it. I've never had interest in it, but I've also never been in real life! Only have watched through a screen so maybe if I went I would enjoy it.

6. Playing as a center I'd want to bring cheetah with me. Position that skates the furthest and should be one of if not the fastest skater on the ice.

• 2 weeks later...

To continue to improve. I know I need to get better and I need to have a plan to do so.

Oslo. It may just be me, but it seemed like we struggled to beat them so if they win it at least we can say the champion was out bogey team

Sure, splurge! Why not, it is only money, right?

I started serious online sim games when I was still teaching and I didnt want my students to be able to find me. So I was sitting at home with my wife and I just said, how about "Otis" and I cannot tell you why I said it. She then said "Boudreaux" sounds good. So "Otis Boudreaux" was born. Sadly I had to leave when I was him and since I came back to continue what he started, wala, Otis Boudreaux, Jr!

Cornhole. Is that even a sport? I see it on ESPN and I just dont get it. Sorry for those who enjoy watching it. But let people still play it in their backyards, nothing wrong with that. Just not sure it warrants coverage on ESPN.

Monkey! Why not? I mean, who doesnt like a monkey??

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2023 at 7:34 PM, dylanjj37 said:

1. sadly my player is retiring, so he will be sent to the shadow realm. hopefully my new player gets to play for bratislava.

2. mexico city kings! i love mexico city it is the best team in the entire league.

3. i will think about it for a very long time in order to get the best gift possible for rory!

4. i wanted my name to be as long as possible and i thought it was funny.

5. i would probably get rid of american football. i dont know what it is about it but i just cannot enjoy that sport at all.

6. i would bring a cute little otter with me because otters are the best and definitely amazing at hockey.

wow im back already!

:brt:Bratislava Watchmen Press Conference:brt:

Week Ending 8/13

New AGM takeover edition!

1. Off-season tends to be a slow time around sim leagues. What do you do to keep yourself engaged and excited for the upcoming season?

2. The draft is coming up soon and we have a chance of getting some really good players. Do you think we will be in a good spot for a strong season afterwards?

3. How do you think the contraction from eight teams to six will affect the VHLE going forward? Is it good or bad overall for the league?

4. What is your favourite two team combination for Puckdoku and why?

5. Does an active locker room factor into your overall enjoyment of sim leagues? Why or why not?

6. What do you think makes rory such a great GM?

1. Do lots of things, lots of fun things, like AGMing Bratislava

2. You will not be in a good spot afterwards as you have removed your draft expert DYL from the draft channel.

3. Looks like it will be good as lots of people dont want to actually be in teh VHLE so it is lesss popular. 

4. Atlanta thrashers (winnipeg jets🤢) and buffalo sabres or many other teams

5. Good locker rooms must be active which is why DYL is so good for bratislava as he keeps the lr active.

6. My personal opinion is that rory is not a good gm because he fired DYL.

Crashing your PC

1. Well… just got done losing in finals to Davos so still licking my wounds.  

2. Hmm..not sure.  So tough to tell in VHLE who will be avail.  This is my final season before I recreate. Then you can draft me

3. I think it will be ok.   Not really sure 

4.  Oilers and Krakken

5. yes for sure.  Dead locker rooms suck.  Makes it tough to stay motivated sometimes if nobody on club talks.  It’s a must for me   

6. Because he’s DEGROOT!   I won a Cup with Rory in Warsaw.   Enough said 

1. Off-season tends to be a slow time around sim leagues. What do you do to keep yourself engaged and excited for the upcoming season?

I try to learn as much as I can about other aspects of the league. I know at some point I will be going up to LA so I am trying to get more comfortable in the LR there.

2. The draft is coming up soon and we have a chance of getting some really good players. Do you think we will be in a good spot for a strong season afterwards?

Yes, I think we were so close in so many of the games last season so getting some new pieces in will, hopefully, get us over that hurdle to win more games.

3. How do you think the contraction from eight teams to six will affect the VHLE going forward? Is it good or bad overall for the league?

I think initially it will be uncomfortable for some. But if it means there are more real players on the teams I think it will help with the league because people will feel like they are competing against real people and not just AI players. If, at some point in the future, the league finds it needs more teams in the E, then they can expand back.

Umm...guess this is something else I need to learn about...I have no idea what this is.

5. Does an active locker room factor into your overall enjoyment of sim leagues? Why or why not?

I think so. I join sim leagues because I want to interact with other people. I guess that is one of the downsides of working from home, I dont really interact with people that much. So an active LR gives me people to talk to....even if I am damn-near old enough to be some of yall's grandfather, lol.

His humility of course!!

13 hours ago, hylands said:

wow im back already!

Week Ending 8/13

New AGM takeover edition!

1. Off-season tends to be a slow time around sim leagues. What do you do to keep yourself engaged and excited for the upcoming season?

1. I just like watching the moves around the leagues, especially with the new promotion rules. Gives a good indication about where teams think that they are heading into a new season.

2. Absolutely! We have multiple good pieces in place already, the draft will be a great spot to bolster this group.

3. There's going to be an influx of talent onto multiple rosters with the 2 teams leaving. It's going to make the E a much more competitive league with deeper rosters all over. I think that it's a good thing for the teams that are still around.

4. Definitely the Leafs and anybody. Having watched them for almost 30 years, it gives me a background on some players that aren't as well known, and so they give lower pick rates.

5. For sure, I think that it's important to have an active and engaged team, it keeps everybody invested more in what is happening with the team, which increases enjoyment. It's nice to have a sense of working towards a common goal as part of a team 

6. I think that a lot of that comes from my previous point about keeping the team engaged. The active Discord group makes for daily fun, and helps keep a good group well connected. Rory helps generate and maintain that level of activity.

I chat a lot with people about the VHL. There isn’t a whole lot I can do to keep myself engaged other than chatting with people.

yessir. The draft is always huge for teams and I don’t see why it would be any different for us this season.

I think it’s more bad than good. Gives people less flexibility on choosing a team, gives less people an opportunity to play, and just generally makes the league less fun,

Probably Montreal and LA since I have a 0.0% that I can go every time. I’m not revealing who it is but his last name is Bergeron!

100%. outside of locker rooms, where am I supposed to hang out? There is literally nothing to do with other people other than chat and if you take out the only play you can do that, it ruins a lot of the enjoyment of it.

Rory has done a great job at keeping people engaged and chatting (which is more than I can say for… a lot… of other servers) and he seems like he actually cares about his players. He’s also very knowledgeable and makes great moves.

Week Ending 8/20

VHLE Draft edition!

1. We added two great defencemen to the team in the draft, filling a big hole in the roster. Do you think we look like one of the best teams in the league now?

2. Vasteras had 10 picks in a row this draft! Who do you think was their best pick?

3. We also managed to pick up rory's player WWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Are you glad to have the GMs own player on the team?

4. If you had to play for any other VHLE team which would it be and why?

5. If you're planning a getaway where is your ideal spot?

6. Are you prepared for the eventual heat death of the universe?

Just now, hylands said:

Week Ending 8/20

VHLE Draft edition!

1. We added two great defencemen to the team in the draft, filling a big hole in the roster. Do you think we look like one of the best teams in the league now?

2. Vasteras had 10 picks in a row this draft! Who do you think was their best pick?

3. We also managed to pick up rory's player WWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Are you glad to have the GMs own player on the team?

1. Absolutely!! We are going to be in for a very fun and competitive season!

2. As I saw them show up numerous times in my "This Week in the VHLM" series last season, I'll give that nod to Axle Gunner. They had a monster season last year, and were a solid add.

3. Happy for Rory, sad for the player list. Formatting is a tragic, but worthy sacrifice.

4. I play for nobody else, Brats for life for Harry Callahan.

5. If it's for fun, I'll go anywhere with an NHL hockey rink, NFL stadium, or NASCAR track. If it's for relaxation, anywhere with sun, a pool, and drinks.

6. Not only am I prepared for it, I welcome it with open arms. Light us all on fire, I say.

I don't know what a typical VHLE roster looks like, but ours looks pretty dang good.

Weirdly, I think defender Didier Verhault is their best pick. He's at a TPE value where he's likely to stay in the E for a couple of seasons, but is still higher in TPE than most, if not all of the current S91 class. From an E standpoint I think that's a wise pick.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWho are we talking about again? JKJK, I think rory is a cool person, glad to have their player aboard :) 

None, because then I'd have to be away from Sunset Moth and that would be less fun.

Honestly, a staycation. I think adventuring is cool but I have a lot of travel ahead in the next 2-3 months and would love to just hang out at home instead of work or traveling.

Yes. I've determined how to reverse the trend in enthalpy and entropy in a limited space. Don't ask me how.

On 8/14/2023 at 8:52 PM, hylands said:

Week Ending 8/20

VHLE Draft edition!

1. For sure 

2. To be honest I didn't really look at our draft board, even though i was part of it.

3. Yes, for sure,  I think thats just dope.

4. Stockholm Vikings, because they are closest to Vaxjo, my home.

5. Montreal, London, Vancouver.

6. No. Why would you ask that.

Week Ending 8/27

New season edition!

1. The new season is just about here! What expectations if any do you have for your player?

2. Which team in the VHLE looks like an underdog to be sneakily good this season?

3. Training camp was this past week. What skills did you focus on most?

4. Did you get up to anything exciting during the off-season down time?

5. What kind of outfit is your player wearing to the arena for the first game of the season?

6. You're in charge of choosing the restaurant for a team dinner. Where are you taking us?

On 8/21/2023 at 3:15 PM, hylands said:

Week Ending 8/27

New season edition!

1. The new season is just about here! What expectations if any do you have for your player?

2. Which team in the VHLE looks like an underdog to be sneakily good this season?

3. Training camp was this past week. What skills did you focus on most?

4. Did you get up to anything exciting during the off-season down time?

5. What kind of outfit is your player wearing to the arena for the first game of the season?

6. You're in charge of choosing the restaurant for a team dinner. Where are you taking us?

1. I just want to contribute. Don't need first line minutes, don't need PP1 time, just want to help us get further.

2. Us! We were ranked 3rd and I think we can easily be 1st.

3. Whatever rory tells me to, to be honest. I don't know what any of these new-fangled skills do.

4. I went to Bermuda! That was fun. Otherwise I've been working like a dog.

5. I don't think Spanish Moon has very good person or social skills. I think they probably just wore the team uniform to the arena.

6. Thai. Thai is always the answer.

Week Ending 9/3

plz answer edition!

1. Were you worried about the rest of the season after the disaster 0-4 start?
2. The top five teams in the league are all really close together still, do you see that continuing?
3. Which team do you think will end up being our biggest competition?
4. Who do you think would be the best tour guide on the team, and why is it rory?
5. Do you follow any sports outside of sim leagues? If so, which ones are your favourites?
6. Have you watched or read anything great recently? I'd love some recommendations.

4 minutes ago, hylands said:

Week Ending 9/3

plz answer edition!

1. Were you worried about the rest of the season after the disaster 0-4 start?
2. The top five teams in the league are all really close together still, do you see that continuing?
3. Which team do you think will end up being our biggest competition?
4. Who do you think would be the best tour guide on the team, and why is it rory?
5. Do you follow any sports outside of sim leagues? If so, which ones are your favourites?
6. Have you watched or read anything great recently? I'd love some recommendations.

1. Not really, I figured that it might just be luck of the draw (or lack thereof) to start the season, so I wasn't too panicked. I thought that the team did a good job in the room of having that feel for it and being patient.

2. I think that we'll probably get about a third of the way through the season before we really start to see some separation as the teams develop. At some point, whether it's through training or trading teams will start to rise/fall.

3. I'm not sure which one of Cologne and Vasteras to pick, I think they're both going to remain near the top of the standings. Everybody still has such a good shot at being competitive this year, I think we need to focus on every team equally to make sure that we're the team that everybody else worries about.

4. Part of being a good tour guide is keeping everybody attentive and active, and that's something that Rory does very well. That level of engagement is so important, and as we saw even through the off-season for the Brats this year, there was still a large amount of engagement. I believe that starts at the top of the organization and works its way down through the players.

5. My big 3 to watch are NFL, NHL, and NASCAR. I'll watch pretty much anything though, I just love sports. I maintain that the day after the MLB All-Star Game is the worst day of the year due to its lack of sports.

6. In terms of reading, I'm making my way through the Jack Reacher book series. It's entertaining enough, and I love a good mystery. For watching, I just started re-watching Person of Interest, I love the show. Last movie that I watched was Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery. I highly recommend both it and the first Knives Out movie if you haven't seen them.