The D.C. Legend

Juice

Time to hang up the skates | Spring fling at the Monarch Par… | Flickr

With the S80 Season over and done with for the D.C. Dragons, finishing the regular season with a respectable 91 point season with a 43-24-5 record and finishing the playoffs winning against the Chicago Phoenix, but ultimately being swept by the Vancouver Wolves, I can't help but point out that we have technically now seen that last of the D.C. Dragon legend himself, Groovy Dood ( @bigAL).

At the start of the S80 Season, Groovy Dood announced that this would be his last season in the VHL. Going into this season, he was on the cusp of topping the all-time point leader records for the Dragons, however the season was still young and looking at the roster, D.C. really could have been in the sink and miss the playoff mode, or swim and just barely make the playoffs. However with great signings like Aloe Dear ( @Renomitsu) and Lester Green ( @Smarch), the Dragons looked more and more like they could push for that one final playoff run with Groovy Dood as their all-star captain. And boy, did their captain ever cap off his career in the best way possible.

Career highs in both goals with a whopping 61 (!!!) wheel snipe cellys and career high 120 points, Groovy Dood did finally hit his mark of becoming without a doubt the GOAT of the D.C., overcoming the great Benny Graves who had 263 goals, 335 assists, and 598 points in his entire career that he spent with entirely with the Dragons. And not just overcome, but he blew Graves out of the water with an outstanding 313 goals (most in Dragons history), 387 assists (most in Dragons history), a nice round 700 points (most in Dragons history), and even 2191 hits (well beyond the most in Dragons history). It's easy to say that so far, Dood is the best Two-Way forward to ever grace the Dragon uniform, and with the totals he's put up, it'll be hard to ever top these numbers even for someone who spends their entire career with the same team similarly like Groovy Dood.

And it's hard to not look back at Dood's infamous draft class, where despite future greats like Jeffrey Pines ( @rory ) and Dakota Lamb ( @dlamb) could be the ones to go first overall, General Manager @Enorama decided to take a shot in the dark on the up and coming Groovy Dood, even when many feared he could be someone who would hang up the skates sooner than later, due to the gut feeling that Dood could be an all-time great. At the time, many were surprised and shocked, not that he was picked high in the first round, but more so because he was picked as the 1st pick in this deep of a draft. But if anything, Dood took this on as a challenge to prove critics and haters wrong, and it's easy to see now after all the seasons to pass that he's cemented himself as not just an all-time great Dragon, but an all-time great VHL player overall.

Although the season ended a bit abruptly, with quite the disappointing end with the sweep by the Vancouver Wolves, Groovy Dood capped off his career with a bang and the D.C. crowd will both cherish the moments they had with him, and be quite sad by the S81 Season where the captaincy won't be on the one they called "The Captain".

(565 words)

Review: Great article Juice, image is awesome, really puts the phrase “hang up the skates” into color lol. Punctuation and grammar look good, very well-written. Terrific send off for a terrific player. 10/10

Friggin groovy article dood ✌️ We celebrated when I passed Benny earlier this season but I didn’t realize just how FRANCHISE LEGEND the Dood had become. Epic. What a eulogy, we’re so lucky to have you in DC as long as we did wooooo

review: Yo Juice great MS!! A good read that's paced well and spaced out well to, love the picture XD I feel this is a pretty good send of for Dood and good post on what he manged to accomplish in his career, a life long dragon and setting new highs for the team, he is one to go down in history for the team and I think you captured that well. He leads in so many categories, and the most important ones. I like that you mention his draft to, good little history for those who weren't around then. 10/10 bud!!