Updates from the Mod Team

fishy

It seems to me that everyone agrees that the confidentiality of individuals involved in a report is extremely important–we all share that common ground, and I think it's important to acknowledge that first.

Both @GustavMattias and @RomanesEuntDomus (and correct me if I'm wrong) seem to be pointing out that we can decrease the number of issues that we have by better fleshing out the expectations. From what I'm understanding, the proposal to release more information comes from a place of wanting to educate people.

We can't release much more information about individual cases. Now that we have a better-organized Code of Conduct, though, we can be more specific about which part of the policy was broken. The Code now has a definition of harassment included, which will hopefully help to bridge the gap of misunderstanding. Otherwise, for reasons that we all understand and agree upon, listing specific information about an incident isn't an option.

In the vein of taking an educational, proactive approach, how do folks feel about a post outlining hypothetical situations that would breech the Code? We could work on making up some situations that are somewhat like those we've seen in the past, point out which part of the COC it violates, and talk about the kind of factors we consider in issuing a punishment. It would, by no means, be a guide for "if you do X, then Y will be your punishment," but I think it would help outline what we mean by specific parts of the policy. If the goal of releasing more information is to help clarify expectations, I feel like a list of hypothetical scenarios and their potential outcomes could be valuable to do the same thing without infringing upon anyone's privacy.

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, fishy said:

In the vein of taking an educational, proactive approach, how do folks feel about a post outlining hypothetical situations that would breech the Code? We could work on making up some situations that are somewhat like those we've seen in the past, point out which part of the COC it violates, and talk about the kind of factors we consider in issuing a punishment. It would, by no means, be a guide for "if you do X, then Y will be your punishment," but I think it would help outline what we mean by specific parts of the policy. If the goal of releasing more information is to help clarify expectations, I feel like a list of hypothetical scenarios and their potential outcomes could be valuable to do the same thing without infringing upon anyone's privacy.

I think that is a Smashing idea. I think it help quite a bit, or atleast let people know how things are handled and better outline the new C.O.C.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't? 

Perhaps we (the male user base) should refrain from commenting, lest our opinion or support is interpreted as lip service. 

I have zero interest in knowing what the specifics were and I hope that the actions taken and revision of the coc helps to prevent any further upset or negative experience,but to suggest that a good chunk of the support was lip service? Awesome. 

4 minutes ago, BOOM said:

Damned if we do, damned if we don't? 

Perhaps we (the male user base) should refrain from commenting, lest our opinion or support is interpreted as lip service. 

I have zero interest in knowing what the specifics were and I hope that the actions taken and revision of the coc helps to prevent any further upset or negative experience,but to suggest that a good chunk of the support was lip service? Awesome. 

had a little research been done they would also know that many members reached out to said "female members" asking what can be done and having conversations. 

so yeah i agree with you BOOM 

13 hours ago, fishy said:

It seems to me that everyone agrees that the confidentiality of individuals involved in a report is extremely important–we all share that common ground, and I think it's important to acknowledge that first.

Both @GustavMattias and @RomanesEuntDomus (and correct me if I'm wrong) seem to be pointing out that we can decrease the number of issues that we have by better fleshing out the expectations. From what I'm understanding, the proposal to release more information comes from a place of wanting to educate people.

We can't release much more information about individual cases. Now that we have a better-organized Code of Conduct, though, we can be more specific about which part of the policy was broken. The Code now has a definition of harassment included, which will hopefully help to bridge the gap of misunderstanding. Otherwise, for reasons that we all understand and agree upon, listing specific information about an incident isn't an option.

Thoughts?

If I tell @JardyB10 that I want to spank his ass how many weeks tpe ban is that? I need more information before I proceed. 

5 hours ago, Frank said:

If I tell @JardyB10 that I want to spank his ass how many weeks tpe ban is that? I need more information before I proceed. 

One week per spank, punishment for punishment. The scales must be balanced.

• fishy unfeatured this topic