S80 Calgary Wranglers Regular Season Awards

Ricer13

Better late than never but we are finally presenting our regular season awards for season 80. On the eve of season 81 we look back at the season that was and celebrate the performances from a number of Wranglers. Some will be celebrated for what they accomplished on the ice while others will be recognized for their hard work on the forums and their dedication to this league. Let's waste not another minute and begin with our first award...

The Top Shelf Award

This award is given to the leading goal scorer for Calgary during the regular season. The player to lead our team in goals in season 80 was Nathan Perry @tinafrombobsburgers! Perry finished the season with a total of 46 goals which was 13 goals ahead of the next Wrangler. This is a career high for Perry who only eclipsed 40 goals once in his career. It is also the single highest goal scoring record in over 5 seasons in Calgary. It was quite the performance from Perry as he took charge in Calgary in season 80.

The Rybak Trophy

The Rybak Trophy is awarded to the player who leads the Wranglers in points during the regular season. This seasons winner is none other than Nathan Perry @tinafrombobsburgers! Statistically Perry had a career year. He hit career highs in goals, assists, points, shots, +/- and shots blocked. It has also been well over five seasons since a Wrangler hit the triple digit mark in points proving that Perry has become one of the best Wranglers of this generation. 

Young Buck Award

We don't only celebrate our current Wranglers but also like to celebrate our Junior Wranglers. Our stand out Young Buck was a tough decision this season as we had two players with fantastic seasons. However we can only choose one and this seasons winner of the Young Buck Award is Saku Kotkakoivu @DollarAndADream. Saku played on a mediocre Vasteras team during the regular season. They finished fourth overall and Saku had an impressive 91 points. Where Saku really shined was during the post season. Vasteras came in as the underdogs and upset their way to the first ever VHLE Championship. They took home the trophy and Kotkakoivu was a big part of that. He finished with 23 points in those in 14 playoffs games to help make a statement in Vasteras. We are very excited to see what he will bring to the Wranglers organization. 

Jubis Memorial Trophy

This award is on of my favorite awards. The Jubis Memorial Trophy is handed to the member who best demonstrates long term success in the VHL. One person really took the league by storm this past season and I am thankful that she played for our Wranglers team. She took the initiative to speak on issues in the league that were affecting her personally. Being strong enough to do that is going to bring real change to this league in a positive way. She has taken more responsibility in the league joining the Moderation team and has been promoted from the VHLM to the VHLE as the new Geneva Rush GM. She is such a genuinely good person and a pleasure to always have a conversation with even if it does have to do with why chicken wings are so much better than Chicken Nuggets. I can't think of a more deserving member to give the Jubis Memorial Trophy to, Congratulations to Joe Madison (Sam) @samx!

The Sheriffs Badge

The Sheriff's Badge is given to the player who best demonstrates leadership amongst the team. The season 80 winner of the Sheriffs badge and the player who best exemplifies leadership in Calgary is no other than Captain Nathan Perry @tinafrombobsburgers. This one is a no brainer for me. He won the award last year and does so again this year because of how supportive he is of each of his team mates. He never waivers from his team first mentality and is always the first one to congratulate team mates for success of their own. He wants nothing but the best for this organization and for his peers and that is how a true leader should be. 

The Last Line Award

Our top defensemen award was a close race this season. We had two defensemen going neck and neck all season with their impressive performances on the ice. The player we have decided is most deserved of The Last Line Award is Tom Eagles @Greg_Di. Tom was a menace on both ends of the ice last season. He logged nearly 30 minutes per game and finished the season with 75 points in 72 games. 24 goals from a defensemen is impressive on its own but doing so with a shooting percentage of over 12 percent really showed how efficient he was. When the game was on the line he was also one of our most clutch players and finished with 5 game winning goals. He also did well in his own end finishing with 151 blocked shots and a +/- rating of 24. Impressive season from an impressive defender.

The MVW (Most Valuable Wrangler)

This award is usually awarded from a peer vote. However due to how busy this offseason was for myself I completely blanked and forgot to do that. We discussed it over and thought it was fairly obvious which player performed to their highest level last season and really lead the way for this squad. We are proud to award the Most Valuable Wrangler award to Nathan Perry @tinafrombobsburgers. As mentioned by the many reasons above Perry really was a shining light on this Wranglers roster last season. Knowing the player he won't be satisfied with a few team awards. The goal is the Continental Cup and he plans to lead this team to glory in S81.

Top Media Spot

The Top Media Spot this year is being awarded too Nils Tallinder @Patrik Tallinder. Although Tallinder has taken a step back from the league in some capacity to pursue other parts of this personal life he still manages to put out some incredible material. I can't wait until he comes back in full force and shows the league what they're missing without him!

Top Graphic

The top graphic this season is being awarded to Alex Johnston @Alex_J32. Not necessarily known as a graphics wizard, Alex made a really cool trade tree graphic recently. I love the concept and originality. To step outside your comfort zone and create anything is hard so he is well deserved of the recognition.

Top Podcast

Our top podcast this season is going to Phil The Rock Johnson @Phil. Podcasts are Phil's specialty and I love listening to what he has to say. I hope he can inspire some of our newer members to give it a go because I for one would love to hear what more people have to say.

Congratulation's to all of our award winners for S80. I love the group of players and members that come through our locker room. This league is so much more than a game and I for one enjoy telling people how kick ass of a job they do every season. We will be back next offseason for another edition of the Calgary Wranglers Regular Season Awards.

word count: 1500 +

Edited by Ricer13

Review:  I don't know any of these players (though I know some users) and don't usually concern myself with teams beyond Davos, and I still found this a great read.  Not just a bland "this guy had the most goals" write up, but one that gave the context for where a particular performance placed the player in the Wrangler history.  Also, clear, crisp prose which made it easy to read.  9/10

• 2 weeks later...