HEY, GMS! YOU SHOULD SCOUT!

fishy

Nice listen! 

Just cause you were interested in how your numbers compared, me and @Shindigshave had 4 teams talk to us, so there's not much difference between a recreate like yourself and a first-gen like Bo, but that 1 team difference could also just be down to one of them maybe thinking they needed a skater rather than a goalie. For comparison I only got 1 PM heading into the VHLM Draft (luckily from the team that scouted me).

I don't think that figure particularly bothers me now, because I was more expecting to get PMs about it around the Playoff/Start of Off-season period, though I do agree with the notion that GMs should definitely talk to the players they could potentially draft. I honestly can't think of any negatives for it, like even the worst result you could get from scouting (finding out someone isn't a fan of your team) is itself a positive of scouting! 

I feel the same about google forms, I'm fine with them and would definitely prefer em to nothing.

I'd count the number of F bombs. But my math's a bit to rusty to do that high.😅

Good listen though, hopefully this gets us some more of those scouting interviews. Even if the GMs don't necessarily find them the most useful in all cases, they also serve some purpose as a retention thing. It's nice to feel wanted y'know? So if you get approached by a VHL GM partway through your first season, showing that they have some interest in your player. That's pretty good for motivation.

"What's the goal with your player?"

I mostly see this as a roundabout way of asking if you intend to be a lifer for your draft team, without straight up asking. An attempt at a non-leading question where you still hope for a certain answer. Though some teams have both questions, so that's clearly not always the case.

I enjoyed this lol 👍

So as an ex GM I can say, even players in the 1st round may only get scouted by 4-5 teams tops.  That is nothing against the players thats most likely due to the range of the picks. Example: if a team is holding the 7th overall pick,  if they scout 4-5 players in that range. They have a great idea who they are selecting. 

I think scouting is crucial for both sides of it. For the players it helps with the draft experience and for gms and agms they gain the info needed to make the correct picks come draft time 

55 minutes ago, fishy said:

okay GRANDMA 

Hey, now that's not way to speak to your elders! I have to go get my prune juice now. But when I get back you're in big trouble!

Edited by Shindigs

I'd love to scout, if the portal worked!

I've extensively scouted every person I've ever taken in 1st round and I'm fairly certain I've done so with basically every 2nd or 3rd rounder as well. 4ths+ are a different story though.

Thanks for the great listen! Not sure how other GMs in the E do things, but I usually build a google sheets with some other data points before I start sending out scouting messages. And I love google forms to export as a .csv to give me a big draft hub in one file. So I'm just quietly creeping in the corner until I have a good idea who I want to pursue 👍

• 2 weeks later...