Premier League Talk 2014/2015

Phil

How's Xabi going over there. Miss the shit out of him.

Great. I would consider him the glue that holds our transitional play together. He distributes to Ribery and Robben to allow the game to become about edges of the white chalk. Technically thats his main use anyways. I think we aren't really using other players to the best of their ability, but he is one that is being used properly.

• 2 weeks later...

LIVERPOOL FANS (and soccer folk who say the highlights/ match of the LFC game today):

Did you think it was " disrespectful" of Balotelli to take the penalty over Henderson?

An article in the Guardian says Gerrard thinks so.

Personally this whole "deal" is fucking blown out of proportion and I think it's an easy second choice that Balotelli should be taking it. When Gerrard's not on the pitch - Balotelli should take them... I mean come on... other than Gerrard, why would you want an Englishman taking a penalty anyway?

I missed it... but was Sturridge also arguing to take the kick?

Here's my thoughts on it:

- Balotelli should take the kick ahead of anyone on the team not named Steven Gerrard. Balotelli is one of the top PKers in the world.

- Balotelli looked like he took the ball out of Henderson's hands after a quick discussion where not much was said

- Henderson realized he was the captain and has some sort of silly fantasy that he is the next Gerrard

- Freak out ensues

- Gerrard is getting senile and racist :P

- Balotelli cured all by tucking it lower corner and depantsing the goaltender.

- From reading twitter, it looks like most Liverpool fans were 100% behind Balotelli taking the PK ahead of Sturridge or Henderson.

- Sturridge sucks at PKs, has bricked his last two.

- Henderson sucks at striking the ball period.

Well said coach,  I honestly just think this is the media fishing for a story because they have nothing else to talk about.

Henderson knew Super Mario should take it, that's why he didn't argue. Sturridges face perennially looks like he's sulking so that means nothing, and Gerrard's definitely just feeling his age but is still a boy at heart so he can't stand watching from the sidelines.

Balotelli was pissed at Sturridge because a couple minutes before that, liverpool had an attack and sturrdige, instead of him crossing the ball to an open balotelli, selfishly decided to try an impossible chip of the keeper. I was really mad at him for that and I'm sure that's also why balotelli ensured henderson that he should take it. 

Everyone I've spoken to thinks Balottelli was the right man for the job. It's great to see him playing at his potential finally 

• Admin

Don't listen to Gerrard imo, he won't be there in six months anyway.

Balotelli's penalty record is like 27/29 now ever. In any case, Henderson seemed quite diplomatic at the end of it all and has let it slide.

#neutralview

Oh yea! 

Matic's reaction was justified... that fucker could have broken his leg! I hate Chelsea as much as the next man-that's-not-a-Chelsea-fan, but dangerous and recklessness I can't stand. 

Although amazing results this weekend for Liverpool :)

No idea how Allen didn't get called for a foul, but the one 20 seconds in was a brutal dive in my opinion. 

On the Mignolet should-be handball, it was obviously a bang-bang play, and if it hit his hand directly instead of his chest and then his arm, he would have been in the box and fine with the save.  Is there anyway they can just call a handball there without giving a red?

Also, I wish Sturridge would stop trying to be so cute and try and rip the ball towards net when he gets a clear look instead of trying to sneak everything in

definitely wasn't liverpool's strongest lineup... i think our best squad with the 3-4-3 would look something like this:

GK Mignolet

CB Lovren/Sakho

CB Skrtel

CB Can

LWB Alberto Moreno

RWB Jordon Ibe

LM Markovic/Lallana

CM Henderson/Gerrard

CAM Philip Coutinho/Lallana

RM Sterling

ST Sturridge

Ibe has really saved Liverpool's season as crazy as it sounds.

Edited by CoachReilly

• Admin

Can't have LM, RM, CM in a 3-4-3, two of the "4" are taken up by wingbacks.

It's really a Christmas tree formation when Sturridge plays, except 3-4-2-1 instead of 4-3-2-1. I like it for being different but it frustrates me because I don't understand why it works.

Also you guys should definitely get better defenders and move Can into Gerrard's spot when he leaves.

Sahko over Lovren ANY day, considering their performances this season. 

Ibe's a breath of fresh air. 

Can is highly versatile and thus can adapt to a wing back, winger, or play the gerrard-esque role in the midfield. 

I've been saying for 3 seasons that we badly need defenders, and it still stands true today. 

And Victor, I think it's our fluidity in midfield that makes this "xmas tree" formation work - we are so dangerous on the counter-attack, I  don't think teams can 'fully' commit to their attack. Muhahaha suckas. 

3 (Skrtel-Can-Sako)

4 (Alberto Moreno-Gerrard/Henderson-Coutino-Ibe)

3 (Markovic-Sturridge-Sterling)

for instance... lots of people can swap in and out... like Sturridge to wing and Sterling to striker (although I like Sterling on the outside to wreak havoc)

• Admin

3 (Skrtel-Can-Sako)

4 (Alberto Moreno-Gerrard/Henderson-Coutino-Ibe)

3 (Markovic-Sturridge-Sterling)

for instance... lots of people can swap in and out... like Sturridge to wing and Sterling to striker (although I like Sterling on the outside to wreak havoc)

Yeah that's more like it. Guess my main issue initially was that I've never seen Coutinho listed as a central midfielders, he always seems to part of the 3 (Markovic has been the wingback on numerous occasions as has shockingly Henderson too).

It's pretty marvelous really and it's great seeing Liverpool back at their best. Please beat City.