VHL Needs a Move

Tyler

I don't see why NA somehow has a hold over hockey over some European countries. Canada? Sure. Fuck America. Hockey isn't even the number one watched sport there. Americans watch boring ass american football, way too long of games Baseball, and even the mildy entertaining NBA over the NHL. 

In some of these European countries, hockey IS the sport. Besides the unique factor, anybody who actually knows hockey will show up here and even if they don't know the city. They will ask where is that city located? And you say things like Finland, where Selanne is from. There is enough overall Europeans in the NHL that hockey fans actually know that it matters. Plus most real hockey fans watch the World Jrs and the Olympics. I'd say the Worlds as well but that always airs when the playoffs are on. 

• Admin

yea but NA has California so idk also american football which is dope. Also the best English speaking soccer country in the world is located in NA.

Only USA and Canada play soccer so it's not really a contest.

Australia all the way.

P.S. American football is the worst thing to happen to the real man's sport: rugby.

Only USA and Canada play soccer so it's not really a contest.

Australia all the way.

P.S. American football is the worst thing to happen to the real man's sport: rugby.

they call it soccer in australlia too....

also rugby is lame as fuck only losers who cant make it in football play it

I don't see why NA somehow has a hold over hockey over some European countries. Canada? Sure. Fuck America. Hockey isn't even the number one watched sport there. Americans watch boring ass american football, way too long of games Baseball, and even the mildy entertaining NBA over the NHL. 

In some of these European countries, hockey IS the sport. Besides the unique factor, anybody who actually knows hockey will show up here and even if they don't know the city. They will ask where is that city located? And you say things like Finland, where Selanne is from. There is enough overall Europeans in the NHL that hockey fans actually know that it matters. Plus most real hockey fans watch the World Jrs and the Olympics. I'd say the Worlds as well but that always airs when the playoffs are on. 

I'll be honest, the majority of European countries will tell you that Football is THE sport there, not hockey.

Edited by Kendrick

• Admin

I'll be honest, the majority of European countries will tell you that Football is THE sport there, not hockey.

In terms of VHL team, Latvia, Finland, and I guess Sweden would lean towards hockey. So it's a 3-2 split. Europe as a whole, yeah, it's not even close.

In terms of VHL team, Latvia, Finland, and I guess Sweden would lean towards hockey. So it's a 3-2 split. Europe as a whole, yeah, it's not even close.

Oh I thought he meant the entire continent and not just VHL based countries. That makes sense now yeah. Sweden, Finland, Latvia and Davos (Split between Hockey and Football) are all big into it.

• Admin

Yeah, kind of on the fence for Switzerland (as are they really). Whole country seems to be growing into every sport now.

If we dip into the VHLM, then Russia leans towards hockey I'd say. Norway's pretty bad at both, but again I think they'll put hockey first (behind skiing I'd guess). And even in Germany hockey is probably #2. Ish.

All higher than USA. #RelocateUSA

• Head Moderator

Americans watch boring ass american football, way too long of games Baseball.

I'm interested as to why you think football is boring.  In regards to the MLB, they are currently working on some time-clock options, at least from what I've heard on the radio.  Would be a good way for the new commissioner to start his tenure.

I'm interested as to why you think football is boring.  In regards to the MLB, they are currently working on some time-clock options, at least from what I've heard on the radio.  Would be a good way for the new commissioner to start his tenure.

Too many stoppages in American football. A play starts, then it stops instantly. I get why some people enjoy it but it just isn't for me. Not enough time to me to build to the intensity. There are also way too many players on the field at once. Then you add in my issue with their super short seasons, their playoff format being a single game elimination and it just irks me.

To be honest the only sport I really do like is hockey. When I have tired all other sports there is just too much that bugs me in comparison. Hockey is fast, it's high octane, out of bounds rarely happens due to their being boards, the hitting is intense. Penalties actually have a huge impact on the game causing PP and PK moments to feel tense. Goalies have a legit chance of stealing games by themselves. The action is easier to follow and root for/cheer for specific players since there is only 5 players on the ice and two goalies on each side. 

I find other sports have elements that I like, but just combine it with things I don't. Football has too big of a field, too many players on the pitch, nets are too big and there are no boards. However it does have the same impact as a goal in hockey, where it actually matters and feels important. American football I discussed above. Baseball in general is just a sport that I find boring to watch. NBA has similar trappings to hockey, however no boards, no hitting, too many baskets making each one feel meaningless until you get a clear indication of who is winning based on the time left in the game. I actually find golf more interesting than soccer, American football, baseball or basketball tbh. 

Devise, the stoppages in golf are what makes it boring though.

Haha! To be fair, I got drunk one day watching the Masters a few years back. By one day I mean over a whole weekend bender. I watched the entire Masters while I played something on a handheld device. When there was a stoppage, they'd just cut to footage of another golfer. Never a dull moment in the action packed excitement of GOLF! :P 

Haha! To be fair, I got drunk one day watching the Masters a few years back. By one day I mean over a whole weekend bender. I watched the entire Masters while I played something on a handheld device. When there was a stoppage, they'd just cut to footage of another golfer. Never a dull moment in the action packed excitement of GOLF! :P

But the commentary is just so bland. Bowling is more exciting on TV than Golf is.