Help For Finding Trivia Answers

For anyone who is not on the VHL discord or has never been for help regarding it, one of the most common problems that comes up regarding trivia is that the answer that the VHL Portal would suggest is the answer to your trivia question is not presented as an option for you to answer the question with. This does not mean that the answer to the trivia question is wrong, but more likely that the portal is lacking or has incorrect information. But since not everyone visits the discord, I’ve decided to write a short media of when and when not to use the Portal to answer your VHL Trivia question, and if not to use the Portal, where to use instead. Hopefully I will cover all bases, but if I don’t for whatever reason, please let me know in the responses and I’ll edit accordingly.

For those who want the TL:DR, check the spoiler tag below

Spoiler

DO NOT USE THE PORTAL FOR RECORDS OR PLAYER STATS PRIOR TO SEASON 47.

DRAFTS FROM SEASON 61 AND EARLIER ARE HERE (SEASON 1 DRAFT IS ON PAGE 4)

MOST INFORMATION THAT ISN’T ON PORTAL IS EITHER HERE, HERE or HERE (MORE SPECIFICALLY THE THREADS AT THE BOTTOM)

DON’T KNOW WHY I’M USING CAPS HERE EITHER

What Can I Use The Portal To Find?

Hall of Fame Players/Builders

Inducted Players Link

Inducted Builders Link

While most of our historical information that was written on the site has stayed on the site in some form, Hall of Fame player and builder articles that were originally written and stored on the forum have now been moved to the Hall of Fame area. Recently written ones may be found submitted as Media Spots but the easiest (and only in the case of everyone inducted before S35) place to look if you are after HOF Players and Builders are these portal links. I have had at least one question that pertains to Hall of Fame inductees and I was able to find the answer on the portal. 

VHL/VHLM Awards

VHL Awards

VHLM Awards

Like the Hall of Fame player and builder articles, while awards were originally stored on the forum, they have been completely moved over to the VHL Portal. Especially for individual awards, the best place to look for the answer to any question that refers to players who have won these awards would be on the VHL/VHLM links above, although there is also a good spreadsheet for repeat award winners on the forum. For team awards, you can also find the winning franchises in those respective links along with the Continental Cup and Founders Cup pages, however there are places on the forum that may serve to answer particular trivia questions related to team awards better which I will cover later.  

Note that there is currently no VHLE awards section in the portal, if there happens to be a question pertaining to VHLE awards you can find the respective winners for Season 80, Season 81 and Season 82 at those links.

VHL/VHLE/VHLM Drafts (Season 62 – Present Day)

Draft Page

From the Season 62 VHL Draft onwards, drafts took place on the VHL Portal directly rather than GMs manually inputting their picks in through posts on a forum page. Therefore, you can find the VHL Drafts from Season 62 onwards, the VHLM Drafts from Season 63 onwards and every VHLE Draft on this page.

Trades (Season 64 Onwards)

Trade Page

While I have yet to see any questions talking about trades, if one does come up in the future, you can quickly find any trade made from Season 64 onwards using the page above. There are also trade threads and a written record of all trades on the forum, but the portal will be quicker to answer questions from Season 64 onwards.

GM Stats

https://vhlportal.com/hof/careerstats/gm

While the career stats for players and goalies in the portals should NOT be used, it seems like GM stats are, from what I’ve checked, reliable. They don’t include any GM stats from Seasons 1-17 and while the forum does contain records of who was GM in those seasons, there’s no specific GM stats on the forum. Therefore, if you do get a question pertaining to a GM’s record, you can use this page or the “GM Stats” tab on a Team Page.

Specific Player Stats In A Season (Season 20-Present)

VHL Index Archive

I have had some questions in the trivia that refer to specific stats in a given season. If you get the same, or in fact any question that requires you to go back to a specific season, then the best place to look would be the VHL Index Archive, where you will find all of the indexes from Season 20 to present day. It is worth pointing out that while the VHLM index archive stops at Season 35, you can find VHLM indexes for seasons 20-34 in the Farm section of the VHL index for the respective seasons. While they not on the portal, you can also find the VHL Season 18 and Season 19 indexes at the respective links.  

Note: Even if the seasons are available to do so, I would avoid using the League Leaders and League Overall pages on the portal as it splits up stats for players who are traded, whereas the indexes do not, making it easier to see where a player ranks among the league in the indexes than on those pages.

VHL Player Page (Season 50 Onwards)

If you are really struggling to find an answer to a question that requires a specific player for an answer, you could also use the Portal’s search function to find the season by season stats for a player. However, this only works for players who were in the VHL from Season 50 onwards (although there are still a few missing who were in the league from S50-59). If the member used the portal to update their player from Season 60 onwards, you can also use their username to search for any of their players.

What Can I Use The Forum To Find?

VHL/VHLM Drafts (Season 1-72)

VHL Drafts

VHLM Drafts

For all the drafts that took place before we were able to draft directly from the portal, you can find them on the forum. Note that all the Draft threads are pinned and that there are unpinned discussion threads in the same forum, so the Season 1 Draft is not on the last page, but on page 4.

There is also a Draft History thread in the VHL Hall of Fame forum that keeps track of a lot of cool VHL Draft stats.  

VHL Season Records

VHL Records

One of the more common question topics for trivia, but unfortunately the records page in the portal is not reliable (On top of not having most players from before Season 47, Seasons 18, 36 and 40 are double counted leaving to incorrect large figures for players who played in those seasons, points for a defenseman records are mainly players who were forward at the time and moved to defenseman later on, save percentage has no min. games requirement). Luckily, the pages on the forum are fully updated and contain both player and team records. Note that unless stated otherwise, any mention regarding records in trivia questions will pertain to the VHL

VHL Player Career Stats

Career Stats (Regular Season)

Career Stats (Playoffs)

For the same reason as the records, the portal is unreliable when it comes to career stats (For example, the Portal has the leading goalie as Brick Wahl, but that’s because it has fused both Advantage’s and BladeMaiden’s Brick Wahl stats together). Victor has been an absolute pro at getting the forum career stats up to date for Season 82. These sheets do NOT contain career stats of players who are currently playing, but I don’t think career stats for a player still playing will be used in a trivia question anyway. If for whatever reason a question does ask about career stats of an active player, use the Player Search to find it.

Trades (Season 1-67)

Trades (Season 1-34)

Trades (Season 35-67)

Like I mentioned before, I haven’t seen any questions mention trades as of yet, but if one were to come along and it mentioned trades prior to the point in the league where trades were done through the portal, then you can refer to the links above to find every trade from Season 1 to Season 67.

Miscellaneous

We’ve gathered a lot of stats over the years and a lot of them can be found in our Hall of Fame, but since they’re spread across a few forums, you might wonder if you’re looking in the right place for something. I’ll try and describe best I can where to find certain information

Go HERE (specifically the threads under the sub-forums) for facts pertaining to league history. E.g. How well a player did in the league, how well a team did in the league, facts about the draft, etc.

Go HERE for details pertaining to a franchise’s history E.g. Who’s jersey has a franchise retired, who has been the captain or GM for a franchise, what did a franchise use to be called, etc.

Go HERE for VHLM equivalents of the same questions above.

But one thing to consider, if something is asking you to count how many times something has happened, there’s a good chance that somewhere (in the first forum I linked to in particular) will have counted it already for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, hopefully this helps a little bit with figuring out where to look for certain trivia questions.

1500 Words, claiming for W/E May 1st, May 8th and May 15th

Edited by MubbleFubbles

The portal is very useful. I used it to help me draft my VHLFL team.  Allow me to do a little trivia as a test of the tool.

There are two VHL franchises that have not changed since S1. No rebrands, no relocations. What are these franchises called?

I 100% bookmarked it and I’m going to be riding your coattails to success! Thank you for putting this together!