2014-2015 NHL Discussion

Sandro

• Head Moderator

Oh wow I heard Seattle was going to try and bid.

Seattlle can't bid.  One of the suburbs could.  There is actually a memorandum limiting the city to only build a new stadium for a basketball team, not a hockey team.  The hockey team could thereafter lease in the same building to play.  The only real way out of this (and best case scenario for Seattle) is to land a hockey team via relocation and putting them into, say, the Key Arena?  Which is why this won't work until the memorandum is lifted or they build a hockey rink in Bellevue, Tacoma, Everett, etc...  Portland similarly.  That's at least my understanding after hearing it on sports radio 100 times here.  :facepalm:

Pacio - Desharnais - Gallagher

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Semin

De la Rose - Eller - Kassian

Bournival - Mitchel - Weise

Scratch : DSP/Flynn

Markov Subban

Beaulieu Petry

Emelin Gilbert

Scratch : Pateryn/Tinordi

Price

Tokarski

I dont see how he could be successful in MT's system

MT's style just doesn't fit for Montreal. I was hoping that Montreal would go after Babcock :D :D MT out imo

Nah, MT brings what Montreal needs, which is winning

there's too much weight on Jesus Price. And only with Price playoff push isn't going to be anything special. just my opinion

Semin is highly underrated.

Honestly I didn't want him back in WSH due to the bad fit, but he is still an NHL caliber player who can score. He played on third lines went through coaching changes in Carolina and fell into another situation where he just didn't seem to fit. But when he first joined Carolina and left the Caps he fit in very well. Some of it has to be attributed to a lack of competitiveness on the Hurricanes as a whole.

I think on one or two year deals, he can probably be effective for MTL till his mid thirties. Honestly look for him to have a 20+ goal season with MTL and be a permanent fixture on the top six imo. 

Healthy scratch by december

Wanna bet on this? I say he has 10 goals for you and is on the second line by December.

What should we bet? Because i'm 99% your wrong as it gets! 

Healthy scratch by december

And if he is, who cares?

He can bring offense to a forward and PP group that desperately needs it.  

At 1.1 Million he can either step up or stay in the press box.  No harm either way.

Better than having Kassian or an unready prospect in the top-6.

Edited by Advantage

Before you go all angry at me to look at this. From this past season. Keep in mind Semin did great with Kirk Muller, a coach who let him play with players like Eric Stall and Jiri Tlusty and were fine with his brand of two way game (he skates, he shoots, he passes (very well I might add, underrated passer) and he does play a two way game. His stick checking and poke checking are underrated. He just isn't a board player. In any capacity. He makes moves and uses his feet before he going to the boards or playing physical. Forget the wrist surgery he had last year, he also had to play up and down a line up and was told to play a more "grinder" role and "work harder." 

Semin is not the most gifted NHL player in history. I won't deny that. But he's the type of player that excels when you don't try to change him or make him play a certain way. If you let him play his game, put him with line mates who play a similar game he does just bloody fine. Montreal is a perfect fit for him in my opinion. This thread is filled with members arguing over Dale Weise and how he is great in MTL but wasn't in Vancouver. It's because as much as i"m not a fan of Therrien he allows players to play their games instead of putting them into roles that make no sense. Weise is a grinder with great skates and good energy. Maybe he liked to fight in Vancouver and be the "bruiser" maybe not, but either way it wasn't his game. 

Semin will be left to play the way he plays on MTL and it'll do very well for you guys both on the PP and even strength. You watch.