Claimed:Laichly Rift's Pajodcast Episode 97 - Who the hell is Kristan Slater Larsson?

Devise

That's unfair on Edgar, Toronto wouldn't have won without the key trades for Dunlop and Zhumbayev. Let alone make 3 finals.

Sandro built that team and Edgar went and got filler/depth, yes he did some good moves but GOAT GM refers to someone who has a massive impact on the league as a whole. I'd argue that they were minor moves in the grand scheme of things.

Nice episode again guys, loos like it was a bit too short though considering how much talking was still left in Devise when we did the Colognecast the day after :D

I just wanted to adress your comments regarding Cologne/our cast last week very quickly, I already talked a bit about that in our most recent episode but that was before I listened to the Pajodcast. I probably haven't done a very good job expressing myself in the discussion we had in episode #1 about our and Helsinkis future. I have no problem admitting that Helsinki has more potential starpower right now and that they should be considered the favorites in the race between our two rebuilding teams. We are the underdogs in that race and I fully acknowledge that, but it seems like I wasn't really able to communicate that in our cast though.

I still think though that the difference between our two teams isn't nearly as big as Chris makes it out to be. First of all we shouldn't have as much of a problem with cap hell in the future due to our age/contract structure being a bit more favorable than that of Helsinki. We also have a lot of security contract wise when it comes to our future, with pretty much all of our core under contract for the rest of their careers. And the lack of starpower argument is one that I don't really share. Helsinki does have more proven VHL-stars, yes, but that doesn't mean that we don't. Laich, Richardson/O'Malley and my player should be three surefire star-caliber players that we already have, plus some younger players that could reach that status one day, and even if they don't will be valuable depth pieces in the 400-700 TPE range.

On top of that we have the ammo to bring in more proven players, a ton of them have been offered to me lately and I just haven't pulled the trigger on any of these deals yet because I don't think our window is open just yet, but it will be in S41. And that's why I think the "the team needs a change of culture/more proven players" argument isn't really a fair one. We don't have these players yet because right now, we don't need them. We will need them in 1-2 seasons, but what would we gain by having them on the roster right now? Those players could have screwed us out of our lottery pick tnat ended up 1st overall, or might have been unhappy to be on a team that missed the playoffs. We will bring in these players when our window is open, I can pretty much guarantee you that, but I think it's absolutely normal in the usual rebuilding circle to not have these players right now. I mean if I wanted to start going for it in S40 then I would've just kept Collier instead of trading him for very little return. We will do our best two reach the playoffs next season and from there on, everything can happen, but S40 is not our priority, it's the years coming after it.

Hope that somehow explains my take on things :)

Edited by RomanesEuntDomus

I think Edgar is very capable of making good deals as GM, as evidenced by the moves he made this past season, but at the same time I have to agree with Kendrick that he doesn't set a great example in terms of activity. If he could just pick it up in that regard, Toronto would be looking really good for the future if they can just keep their draft picks committed to the team.

Nice episode again guys, loos like it was a bit too short though considering how much talking was still left in Devise when we did the Colognecast the day after :D

I just wanted to adress your comments regarding Cologne/our cast last week very quickly, I already talked a bit about that in our most recent episode but that was before I listened to the Pajodcast. I probably haven't done a very good job expressing myself in the discussion we had in episode #1 about our and Helsinkis future. I have no problem admitting that Helsinki has more potential starpower right now and that they should be considered the favorites in the race between our two rebuilding teams. We are the underdogs in that race and I fully acknowledge that, but it seems like I wasn't really able to communicate that in our cast though.

I still think though that the difference between our two teams isn't nearly as big as Chris makes it out to be. First of all we shouldn't have as much of a problem with cap hell in the future due to our age/contract structure being a bit more favorable than that of Helsinki. We also have a lot of security contract wise when it comes to our future, with pretty much all of our core under contract for the rest of their careers. And the lack of starpower argument is one that I don't really share. Helsinki does have more proven VHL-stars, yes, but that doesn't mean that we don't. Laich, Richardson/O'Malley and my player should be three surefire star-caliber players that we already have, plus some younger players that could reach that status one day, and even if they don't will be valuable depth pieces in the 400-700 TPE range.

On top of that we have the ammo to bring in more proven players, a ton of them have been offered to me lately and I just haven't pulled the trigger on any of these deals yet because I don't think our window is open just yet, but it will be in S41. And that's why I think the "the team needs a change of culture/more proven players" argument isn't really a fair one. We don't have these players yet because right now, we don't need them. We will need them in 1-2 seasons, but what would we gain by having them on the roster right now? Those players could have screwed us out of our lottery pick tnat ended up 1st overall, or might have been unhappy to be on a team that missed the playoffs. We will bring in these players when our window is open, I can pretty much guarantee you that, but I think it's absolutely normal in the usual rebuilding circle to not have these players right now. I mean if I wanted to start going for it in S40 then I would've just kept Collier instead of trading him for very little return. We will do our best two reach the playoffs next season and from there on, everything can happen, but S40 is not our priority, it's the years coming after it.

Hope that somehow explains my take on things :)

Certainly your team is capable of being a top team.

With that being said, cap hell isn't a problem...it's a means of moving big assets for younger assets to prolong your competitive ability.  

That team hardly will have an issue keeping their guys locked up.  Many Helsinki loyal players and when a team is that good, no one will want to leave.

Finally...star power...Higgins, STZ, Draper, Fever, Slobo...and there could be a case made for a few others.  I agree that Devise fits that bill (assuming he doesn't retire early) and while I'm not concerned about you, I don't necessarily think Collier showed you have the same star power.

I agree with your top pick obviously...that's a no-brainer...with that being said though they are just farther along and I think Cologne will have to play catch-up until Helsinki gets older or until Seth full on stops updating (which admittedly could force their hand).

And as for your last point...how is that not fair when discussing how the teams look right now? What if Helsinki outbids you for those top proven players? I can't predict the future in terms of moves being made so as I addressed in the podcast, I am only looking at what I can see.  Right now what I see is that Helsinki has better star power and more top young talent in general.

Edited by Advantage

• 2 weeks later...