My History in the VHL

Ledge

There's been a lot of strikingly different ways people have interpreted this seasons' theme week, but one that consistently reappears is just members looking back at events in the past, whether that be last season or a glory playoff run ages ago. That brings me to this article; I thought I might as well try to tick off some boxes with a short history of me in the VHL.

Phase 1: Ledge_and_Dairy, Clueless First Gen

I guess I didn't really realize how internet usernames worked at the time, because for some reason I put underscores as spaces in Ledge and Dairy. Anyways, I created Linus Zetterstrom, a Swedish, pass first (oh gosh, what did that mean again?) defenceman. I joined at a terrible time, right after the playoffs started, and of course the marvelous Junior Showcase Tournament didn't exist, so I just explored the site and clicked welfare and practice facility each week because I didn't know any better. Luckily, draft time came, and @JigglyGumballs decided to use a 4th round pick on me. I was forum-only at the time, because I was fairly new to the whole browser internet thing, and it was tough at first. Eventually in the season I joined discord, and had a lot of fun times. I got my feet on the ground and started running, max earning by week 4. Las Vegas was super fun, with Jiggs and @Spartan forming an all-star management group. This was back during the second COVID wave of 2020, so the locker room was full of active players. Zetterstrom did pass-first defenceman things, like getting mediocre points and not doing anything significant. In the S75 draft (best and deepest draft class of all time) I was drafted by the super-rebuilding Riga Reign, who had sold practically their entire team to buy into this super draft. That began the second phase of my time here.

Phase 2: Ledge_and_Dairy (still?), The Famously Unlucky Reign of Riga

After I was drafted by Riga, I entered a locker room that was even more active than Vegas somehow. Even though some of our top picks in the S75 class fizzled, we still put together an impressive (yet oddly underachieving) group of youngsters that included Justin Lose @youloser1337, Isau DaMoose @Eynhallow, Cabe McJake @ragequit, Matt thunder @Matt thunder, and Addison McLaren @tcookie. We were no doubt the most promising team in the VHL, yet for some reason we hardly made it far into the playoffs and put up noticeable numbers. It was one of the most bamboozling conundrums I have ever seen, and I know it drove @hedgehog337 off the wall. Either way, it was a fun time, and from S76-S79 I was AGM of the Reign, which gave me the experience I needed for the next step in my management career.

Phase 3: Ledge, VHLMGM Days

After I left Riga, I was hired as GM of Miami as a part of the mass hirings of S80. I've served the Marauders dutifully for nearly 4 seasons now, and this one will be my last. Blokes such as @nurx, @Sen, @Shindigs, and @Ben made it a fun ride. During this time, I created a brand new player, a bruising, scoring winger named Cobalt Burns, who kept Zetterstrom's tradition of being an underachiever so far in his career. Nevertheless, he'll have his first VHL season next season, and I'm excited to see what my second player brings to the table. 

That's about it. ~550 words. I'll be doing a sort of creative writing piece next week about Istanbul, so stay tuned for that. Yeah. Cya