a tale of two Brothers // Another post-season for Calgary

Daniel Janser

Bild

Graphic courtesy of Leandrofg

(Marcel's stats/Daniel's stats)

An other exciting regular season came to an end, where Calgary won the Victory Cup for the first time since the S75 season. They also have the best goal scorer as well as the best point producer in their ranks for the second consecutive season. A feat which was last achieved in the S34/35 season by a Wrangler (Chershenko and Wozniak respecively). Daniel is the first in the Red/White/Black who was able to repeat this success back-to-back. It is also of note that it is the first time in the league's history that there is a threeway tie on the goal scoring title with Galvins and Bob scoring 54 goals as well. Congratulations to this achievement.

Wolanin, Strasmore, M. Janser, Justice, GoodBrandSun and Vladovechsenkchushkin all showed improved offensive numbers and Gonçalves had to adapt to his new role first but scored more goals than last season.

Here are the Jansers' stats for the regular season:

Marcel: 72gp, 4g, 44a, 48pts, +11, 96 PIM, 124 hits, 125sb, 2ppg, 1 First Star Award

Daniel: 72gp, 54g, 66a, 120pts, +39, 118 PIM, 276 hits, 35sb, 11gwg, 8ppg, 62.90FO% and 17 First Star Awards

We had a chance to talk to the brothers in a pub in Calgary and here is what they had to say:

Jean-Luc Lieuxperroux (JLL): 'Marcel, Daniel, thanks for taking the time talking to us. The Wranglers do take home the Victory Cup. Do you feel a sense of achievement?'

Marcel (MJ): 'Hi Jean-Luc, nice to see you again. Well, yes and no. Yes, because we have proven to be the most consistent team in both conferences over a span of 72 games. No because that means nothing if you do not repeat the performance in the post-season.'

JLL: 'Daniel, the scoring race was neck-to-neck this season and for the last ten games or so you were trailing to Chicago's Bob and were even threatened to drop to third place by Bo Johansson. Were you worried that you may lose the race?'

Daniel (DJ): 'No, I wasn't. But not for the reasons you may think. I was not worried, because our team was performing well and consistently getting points. I do my best to help my team in any way possible. However, if I have a dry spell on the scoring sheet, but Calgary wins, that is fine for me. Honestly, I was not expecting to intercept Bob at the goal line, but my team wanted to give me that trophy so much, that they laid up for me left, right and center. Sometimes even refusing to shoot and instead pass to me for a tap-in, when they could easily have scored themselves. Of course, I reprimanded them for such risqué behaviour, but for once they did not heed my call.'

JLL: 'Wolanin fell short one point of a three digit number in this season. Was he heartbroken?'

MJ: 'If he was, he hid it well. He knows that he had an excellent season and carried the team in the first half where he scored a half a dozen game winners. He mentioned it feels a little unsatisfying to get a sniff at the 100 but not to get there. But as we all, the satisfaction to be a success as a team, outweighed whatever underachievement he felt in his own game. I am convinced he will get an other chance as he is still young and I do not see him getting worse anytime soon.'

JLL: 'Marcel, you have doubled your point production. Is this something you are proud of? Do you see anything you do not like on your score sheet.'

MJ: 'I mean it is always cool if you can double your production AND having success as a team. However, I scored less goals and none of them was a game winner. I also spent too much time in the sin-bin for my taste. I probably got carried away by Dan's beaming example of physical play and lost a little bit of my ways. Which probably reflected on the +/- rating as well. But all in all I am not unhappy about my performance. One finds always areas where one could improve still.'

JLL: 'We already heard from the rainbow press that the Wranglers are a hot candidate for the title. What is your take on it?'

DJ: 'Well, the scores are reset now and whatever one has achieved in the regular season does not bear any weight in the playoffs. Having said that, I believe in our team, and I think we have proven that we can beat any team in the league. Every match needs to be won first, though. We cannot lay back and think 'We have won the regular season, what can possibly go wrong?'. We need to work for our success, as every team who makes the playoffs have the same goal. To hoist the cup in their last game of the season. Lady Luck is a fickle deity and we need to do, what we can to make sure that we do not have to rely on her to win games.'

JLL: 'Gonçalves was the only star-player on the team to not exceed last years' production. Do you wish to comment on same?.'

MJ: 'I know that forwards are often measured by their goals and assists. There is nothing wrong with that per se, it is just not painting the whole picture. You see Leandro has scored two short handed goals for us this past season and had chances for a few more. The opposing teams have noted that and have to play more defensively in their power play to counter Leandro's speed. This impedes their chances to create opportunities and at the end of the day makes our job to kill penalties easier. One just does not like to take risks, if you know that the other team has a player on the ice, who just lurks for you to make a misplay and to profit from same. And let's not forget that switching from the wing back to center takes a while to settle in. All considered, I think Gonzo had an excellent season, even if it is not obvious to some who only look at the score sheet'

JLL: 'Okay that was all the questions I had. Thanks for your insight and good luck in the playoffs.'

DJ, MJ: Thanks for having us and take care.'

https://vhlforum.com/topic/130233-a-tale-of-two-brothers-quarter-and-diming/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/130353-a-tale-of-two-brothers-a-captains-disclaimer/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/130505-a-tale-of-two-brothers-halftime-summary/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/130553-a-tale-of-two-brothers-another-brick-in-the-wall/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/130908-a-tale-of-two-brothers-the-final-quarter-s86/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/130952-a-tale-of-two-brothers-the-final-stretch/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/131086-unofficial-vhl-s86-playoff-predictions/

Edited by Daniel Janser

13 hours ago, Daniel Janser said:

JLL: 'Gonçalves was the only star-player on the team to not exceed last years' production. Do you wish to comment on same?.'

MJ: 'I know that forwards are often measured by their goals and assists. There is nothing wrong with that per se, it is just not painting the whole picture. You see Leandro has scored two short handed goals for us this past season and had chances for a few more. The opposing teams have noted that and have to play more defensively in their power play to counter Leandro's speed. This impedes their chances to create opportunities and at the end of the day makes our job to kill penalties easier. One just does not like to take risks, if you know that the other team has a player on the ice, who just lurks for you to make a misplay and to profit from same. And let's not forget that switching from the wing back to center takes a while to settle in. All considered, I think Gonzo had an excellent season, even if it is not obvious to some who only look at the score sheet'

Thank you for not throwing me under the bus there, buddy. Can you imagine our season if Leandro didn't suck? Oof! 😂

@Ricer13 is making Leandro discover a whole new facet of his game this season. A much more defensive one.

2 minutes ago, leandrofg said:

Thank you for not throwing me under the bus there, buddy. Can you imagine our season if Leandro didn't suck? Oof! 😂

@Ricer13 is making Leandro discover a whole new facet of his game this season. A much more defensive one.

Don't mention it... I mean after all, our stats are a result of a dice roll, why would I s**t on anyone for being unlucky/disliked by Simon T? I was incredibly lucky these two past seasons with my stats and I do not take it for granted (in fact I expected low-key to do worse than last season). It is a team effort and no-one can accuse you of not doing your level best to be the best possible player you can be, without throwing your vision of your player overboard. What I failed to mention in the article is the incredible locker room we have in Calgary, which you are a big part of.

Gonzo for the Kanou! (if that is not going to happen, I will simply #blamecole)