Why I think the lotto tournament is a waste of resources

Berocka

Why I think the lotto tournament is a waste of resources

The Lotto tournament was brought in during the VHLs biggest expansion ever. With the inclusion of four new teams the league was buzzing with excitement.

One of the other changes at the same time was the start of the Lotto tournament. A way of giving Sims to the teams who missed out on playoffs. A chance for the weaker teams to increase the chances at securing the first overall pick. All well and good but as someone who has been in more Lotto tournaments than playoffs I think it is a waste of league resources.

Firstly, the idea that the Lotto tournament is there for players to keep interested during the offseason is kind of stupid in the first place. The fact that someone is in the lotto tournament means they have participated in the playoff/off season routine at least twice before this, most likely once in the vhlm and once in the vhle. Both leagues do not have a Lotto tournament and therefore the players would understand that not making playoffs means they don't play a game. I think if someone has made it through roughly three seasons of the VHL they won't leave over not playing a couple of games during playoffs.

I also think and I will admit that this is more of my personal opinion and you may think otherwise but… the results don't really matter. If my player goes out and scores a Hattrick or gets a shutout, I am not really cheering on the sidelines. This is because the games don't matter I am not winning anything, these games aren't improving my stats this is just a fancy exhibition game that is helping the GM more than myself. 

Let's talk about the GMs, the whole incentive side of the lotto tournament is also a little bit wrong and can disincentivise the teams to perform well. If two teams traded their first round picks between each other and they were both in the lotto tournament why would you want to beat that team? By beating them you are only hurting your chances at a first overall pick. If you don't have a first round pick what is your incentive to perform to the best you can. Would a GM not just randomly submit a set of lines and go enjoy a break what does the GM have to gain. There is no need to work on strategy or lines as most likely your next season team will look different.

Just go look at the game threads or read the media spots. How many people do you see talking about the lotto tournament. I'll give you a hint it's mainly people talking about the draft and the actual lotto no one cares about the tournament.

Well that is my five cents, I don't understand why we give the simmers more work to do during the busy part of the season so it can make quite small changes to a random number generator. What do you think, do you like the Lotto tournament or do you think it is a waste of time and resources. And if you think you like the lotto tournament tell me the winner of the last season?

Well I find it has its justification as it may prevent the 'Tanking for number one pick', as you still need to win the lottery to secure the first pick. And it may feel like some redemption for a team who was just FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY by Simon T. during the regular season.

But to be honest, I cannot tell you any of the Lottery winners either. 

1 hour ago, Berocka said:

Let's talk about the GMs, the whole incentive side of the lotto tournament is also a little bit wrong and can disincentivise the teams to perform well. If two teams traded their first round picks between each other and they were both in the lotto tournament why would you want to beat that team? By beating them you are only hurting your chances at a first overall pick. If you don't have a first round pick what is your incentive to perform to the best you can. Would a GM not just randomly submit a set of lines and go enjoy a break what does the GM have to gain. There is no need to work on strategy or lines as most likely your next season team will look different.

I think this point in particular is very valid.

This is probably the point you were referencing but for those who hadn't seen, LA (who traded their first) have been playing their backup BOT goalie for this set of lottery sims and, while I understand mistakes happen in regards to backup goalies (especially when they play the last game of the season), it's a bit silly that Toronto (the owner of the 1st) may as a result have a lower chance of getting good odds with that pick, and I believe similar situations have happened before as well. 

7 minutes ago, MubbleFubbles said:

I think this point in particular is very valid.

This is probably the point you were referencing but for those who hadn't seen, LA (who traded their first) have been playing their backup BOT goalie for this set of lottery sims and, while I understand mistakes happen in regards to backup goalies (especially when they play the last game of the season), it's a bit silly that Toronto (the owner of the 1st) may as a result have a lower chance of getting good odds with that pick, and I believe similar situations have happened before as well. 

Looks like I've paid attention to the lotto tournament about as much as I've played in it.

I know I was initially against the lotto tournament when it was first announced, because I saw it as a thing that was going to keep the lower teams down (as finishing last would presumably make you less likely to win the tournament as well). I'm also pretty sure I was told that the base odds were adjusted to account for that.

...so, if you adjust things so the final odds are about the same, then what's the point of changing anything at all?

The lotto itself is going to mess with the draft order a hell of a lot more than the tournament. If we got rid of the tournament I don't think anyone would miss it.

• Commissioner
20 minutes ago, Frank said:

I believe it was implemented to make tanking less attractive. I'm not sure it's necessary now with the amount of parity in the league.

This but also because people are constantly against the idea of not having sims so it was a way to give the non-playoff teams something to look at.

Honestly given that no one seems to care anyway for that purpose I’d rather just save the headache of additional sims for the simming team to handle.

2 hours ago, Daniel Janser said:

Well I find it has its justification as it may prevent the 'Tanking for number one pick', as you still need to win the lottery to secure the first pick. And it may feel like some redemption for a team who was just FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY by Simon T. during the regular season.

But to be honest, I cannot tell you any of the Lottery winners either. 

45 minutes ago, Frank said:

I believe it was implemented to make tanking less attractive. I'm not sure it's necessary now with the amount of parity in the league.

Isn't this the point of the lottery in general and not the Lotto tournament. You don't need the tournament to make the lotto happen.

• Head Moderator
29 minutes ago, Beketov said:

This but also because people are constantly against the idea of not having sims so it was a way to give the non-playoff teams something to look at.

Honestly given that no one seems to care anyway for that purpose I’d rather just save the headache of additional sims for the simming team to handle.

I care, we're trying to improve our draft position :cheers:

9 minutes ago, Berocka said:

Isn't this the point of the lottery in general and not the Lotto tournament. You don't need the tournament to make the lotto happen.

Kind of sort of... if you win the lottery tournament you can better your chances to draw the number one spot... 

26 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

Kind of sort of... if you win the lottery tournament you can better your chances to draw the number one spot... 

But the lotto tournament doesn't stop tanking as coming last still gets you the best odds of first overall