VSN Presents the Leandro Goncalves break-up story

In international hockey, the World Cup is the pinnacle of competition. A stage where the best players from across the globe unite to represent their respective nations. It's a spectacle that evokes passion, nationalism and showcases the sport's finest talent on a grand scale. However, amidst the anticipation surrounding this prestigious event, there are instances when even the most exceptional individuals find themselves inexplicably left on the sidelines, watching their dreams slip away.

This article aims to disclose the factors that led to these unexpected events. Was it influenced by politics, personal biases, or tactical considerations? Did this player's personality clash with the team's dynamics, or was it a case of unfortunate timing and circumstances? Through interviews with key figures, insiders, and experts, we delve deep into the aftermath of this snub, exploring its profound impact on the player.

It's a story that transcends individual achievements and delves into the essence of fairness, loyalty, and the responsibility of those tasked with shaping the destiny of national teams. As the hockey world continues to reel from the shockwaves generated by this unforeseen twist, this article serves as a testament to the unwavering spirit of a remarkable athlete who, against all odds, continues to inspire fans with his determination to rise above adversity.

This is the story of Leandro Goncalves, the fifth-year veteran from the Calgary Wranglers. Not only is Leandro one of the best players in the world right now, but he's been a stellar part of the Calgary organization. During the draft of this article and through all the people involved in the past and present of the organization, we didn't hear one bad thing about the Portuguese.

Leandro's path to the VHL wasn't easy, and when he got there, that didn't change. He couldn't have been drafted to a worse place for him to shine. As part of the season 83 masterclass that Kris Rice pulled off, Leandro came to the league alongside AirRig GoodBrandSun and Landon Wolanin. His teammates have found their place in Calgary's first line and played integral parts in Calgary's efforts to win the Continental Cup in season 87.

Leandro hasn't had that chance, but it isn't his fault. We can't say Leandro doesn't amaze everyone when he places his skates on the ice... but he has developed in the shadow of future Hall of Famer, and Wrangler extraordinaire, Daniel Janser. Drafted in season 81, the Swiss has made the playoffs every season of his career - so far, but we can't see Calgary not making the playoffs in season 89, his last - and that experience has granted Daniel a place as the leader.

Leader of the team. Leader of the locker room. Leader of the first line. And so, Leandro keeps working in the dark. But, to his credit, not once as he complained about this. The Portuguese player is team driven, of great character, a joyful presence, and a talent on the ice. This made what happened next one of the most puzzling moves in this season's World Cup.

Chosen Western Europe's General Manager, Cole Pearce, decided to keep Leandro out of his selections. Instead, the offensive core of the Western Europe team would be comprised of the returning Daniel Janser, Nico Pearce, Ronan Lavelle, Perry Laperriere, and John Jameson. At this point of the call-up announcement, everyone in the room expected Leandro to be the next name called by the GM, completing the return of the 6 forwards that won Western Europe the gold medal in season 86.

Instead, Cole Pearce said, "(…) and, finally, The Frenchman."

Literal gasps were heard in the room as everyone rushed to push the story as fast as they could. At the same time, everyone had questions that went on without any answers. So far, the difference in the selected players from the ones Zef Goncalves had called two seasons prior came only because of the newfound position for Bosnia and Herzegovina in the Eastern European front. Those changes were expected, and the replacements chosen deserved the opportunity to dress for Western Europe, including back-to-back champion Marcel Janser. To not call Leandro? A bomb.

Why? No comments. This could mean we will never know what drove this decision. It's hard to see a situation where Leandro doesn't have a case to be in those six forwards selected. It could be political. Hockey in Portugal isn't a powerhouse, and the National Federation doesn't have the power and influence other nations may have within the Western Europe board. It could be personal, but that's farfetched and hard to gauge since there haven't been many impressions between GM Cole Pearce and Leandro.

After the announcement, it took some time to hear back from Leandro and his camp, but when we did, the player didn't sugarcoat his opinion. When asked about the situation, Leandro said, "I can't hide my disappointment and frustration with the management's decision to exclude me from the World Cup of Hockey. It's disheartening to see my efforts and contributions go unrecognized and undervalued. I have proven that I am among the best in the world, and to be FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY in this manner is simply unacceptable."

And this is where the story took a turn for the worst. Leandro didn't end his press conference there and continued his statement.

"I question the criteria and judgment used in the selection process. It feels like personal biases or politics have influenced the decision rather than focusing on merit and performance. It's a bitter pill to swallow, knowing that I deserved to be there, representing my nation on the biggest stage of international hockey.

I have poured my heart and soul into representing my nation, but my efforts have been in vain. From now on, I will no longer be available to play for the national team. It's a difficult decision, but I believe it's necessary to prioritize my self-respect and seek opportunities where my talents are appreciated.

I will now focus on my professional career, playing for a team that values my abilities and provides the opportunities I deserve. I will continue to strive for greatness, working tirelessly to prove that I am among the elite in the sport. 

While I will no longer don the national team jersey, I will forever cherish the memories and experiences I had representing it and winning the gold medal in season 86. Those moments on the ice will remain etched in my heart, and I will always be grateful for the chance I had to compete internationally. I hope you're able to bring the title back home again.

But now, it's time to close this chapter and move forward. I will use this disappointment as a catalyst to propel me toward a future where my talents are recognized, respected, and celebrated. Thank you to all the fans who have supported me throughout this journey. I will make you proud, regardless of the jersey I wear."

This article started as a pursuit of the truth regarding why Leandro wouldn't be called up for Western Europe and the repercussions it could have on the VHL world, Western Europe's structure, and the player. The reasons couldn't be uncovered by the report or the player's camp, and Leandro decided to retire from the international competitions.

It's a sad day for a competition that thrives on this kind of passion, but the fans can be glad that they saw the Portuguese player have the opportunity to showcase his value internationally - and win a gold medal for Western Europe, something that they couldn't do for over forty seasons.

Mentions

6 hours ago, leandrofg said:

Leandro hasn't had that chance, but it isn't his fault. We can't say Leandro doesn't amaze everyone when he places his skates on the ice... but he has developed in the shadow of future Hall of Famer, and Wrangler extraordinaire, Daniel Janser. Drafted in season 81, the Swiss has made the playoffs every season of his career - so far, but we can't see Calgary not making the playoffs in season 89, his last - and that experience has granted Daniel a place as the leader.

Thanks for the nice words Leandro... I am sorry that I cast a shadow on you, as you are a superstar in your own right and you would shine even brighter, were you not in a team with such a TPE grabbing whore like me. I will not apologize for doing my best for the team we both love, but I feel you deserved more time in the lime light...

1 hour ago, Daniel Janser said:

Thanks for the nice words Leandro... I am sorry that I cast a shadow on you, as you are a superstar in your own right and you would shine even brighter, were you not in a team with such a TPE grabbing whore like me. I will not apologize for doing my best for the team we both love, but I feel you deserved more time in the lime light...

You will apologize to absolutely nobody! It's been with the utmost pleasure that I have shared a place on a team with you. DJ has been a killer throughout his career and has been hard to have him step down from that first-line Center spot. Further than that... we have tried to switch things up multiple times, but found, time and time again that the Janser-Wolanin pair is the best of the two.