Dear Calgary, please bear with me.

leandrofg

wCvlEzF.jpg

Dear Calgary, please bear with me.

For the past six seasons, you've made me one of the happiest individuals on Earth. You, the fans, and the city deserve so much more than what we could give you during my time with you. Even so, you remained loyal, engaged, and hopeful that we were destined to end the drought that was with us for far too long.

Words seem inadequate to express the depth of emotion that washed over me when we were crowned champions. That moment was a realization of a dream long nurtured, the culmination of countless hours of practice, sacrifices made, and battles fought. Yet, that victory extended far beyond the arena. It was a beacon of hope for the city, a testament to what can be achieved when a community unites with a common purpose. The title was not just a sports achievement but a celebration of our shared journey and a testament to the power of perseverance.

I am eternally grateful for the journey I've shared with my teammates. Their unwavering determination, camaraderie, and unselfish dedication formed the bedrock of our collective effort. Each member, from the veterans who provided guidance... to the rookies who injected fresh energy, played an integral role in our pursuit of glory. Together we overcame defeat, celebrated victories, and leaned on one another in the face of adversity. The bonds forged on and off the field are irreplaceable and something I will cherish forever. As I reflect on our shared triumph, I am reminded that our victory is a testament to the power of unity and teamwork, and that makes the victory even more meaningful.

I attribute my entire experience in Calgary to the Janser family. I can't overstate the impact of having Kurt Janser as a sponsor. Not only was he the one who gave me a shot in the VHLM, not only showing me the ropes of the North American hockey culture but also molding and adapting my game to its standards. But this wasn't everything or enough. There is no doubt in my mind that Kurt slipped some information to Daniel, which, in the end, found its way to Kris Rice's ears.

To Daniel, retirement doesn't suit you. You're a Hall of Famer, and I'm glad you already have your jersey in our rafters. Some say that the connections in our brain for love and hate are very similar, and in your case, I believe that to be true. I love you. I'm deeply grateful for the guidance and inspiration you provided, shaping not just my skills but my character as well. This is why I also hate you - you were our heart and soul, and now that I was ready to take over the team for you, your retirement meant it was time for another era. 

Kris Rice, I want to extend my heartfelt appreciation for believing in my potential and selecting me during the draft. Your trust has been a cornerstone of my journey, and your unwavering support was instrumental in shaping my career. From the early days of joining the team to this moment of reflection, your guidance and belief in my abilities have fueled my determination. Your mentorship has been invaluable, and I am grateful for the opportunities you've provided that have allowed me to grow and contribute to the team's success. Thank you for being a driving force behind my journey... even when it was time to part ways. I won't ever be a First-Gen again, but I wouldn't change a thing.

I must acknowledge my incredible teammate, Landon Wolanin, who has been with me throughout this journey. Since we were drafted together, his unwavering dedication and relentless pursuit of excellence have ignited a fire within me. Your tenacity, work ethic, and unyielding passion for the game have been a constant source of inspiration. As we pushed each other to new heights, I was driven to be the best version of myself, both on and off the field. Your camaraderie and shared aspirations have been pivotal in my growth. I feel grateful for the opportunity to have been your teammate and to have won a championship with you.

I would be negligent to overlook other players that were part of our history, some of whom had more impact on me, others who were valuable additions to our championship-winning group, and those who left without having the opportunity to fight for the ultimate goal. The first player that comes to mind is our incredible goaltender, and even better person, Oskar Lindbergh. After showing their quality elsewhere, they chose Calgary for the last two seasons of their career, and we couldn't have been more grateful for it. Instrumental, not only on the ice but off the ice as well - it was like they were part of the process from the beginning.

Our amazing defensemen tandem in AirRig GoodBrandSun and Phil Strasmore, with the former accompanying me in this new chapter in Seattle and the latter staying put in Calgary, now leading the team and getting the nod as the captain. Erlantz Jokinen was another influential piece of our puzzle that couldn't win it all.

On the offensive side, we had Saku Kotkakoivu, who had a brilliant career - and arguably with one of the best seasons in the modern era - but was the victim of the surplus in our position, leaving before we could win a Continental together. Lastly, Vincent Laroche-Gagnier. Now a Dragon, I'd call him, alongside Landon, a mentee. The one who was to take the Wranglers' reins in the future. But that wasn't in the cards, and Vin was the first of us to be traded in this off-season saga.

Amid the whirlwind of professional sports, I've come to appreciate the profound impact of relationships. They're the threads that weave through the fabric of our lives, connecting us to our past, grounding us in the present, and propelling us toward the future.

I want to leave you with one of the best passages or quotes from a TEDx talk by Dr. Gary Lewandowski, Jr. about break-ups.

"So, we need to talk."

Hearing those four simple words from your relationship partner never feels good. Your heart sinks, palpitates, your stomach flutters, your palms get sweaty because it's never "we need to talk about what a great relationship we have, how we're best friends, and how we're going to spend the rest of our lives together," it's never that; it's always "we need to talk about the beginning of the end."

And whether your relationship is awful, good, or great, we don't like endings, we don't like to lose things. And especially, we don't like to lose things that are important to us. And make no mistake, relationships are the single most important thing to you in your life. It's the source of all of your best memories... it's the source of all of your worst memories.

When you think back on your life when you're 95-100 years old, and you look back over the course of your lifetime, you're not going to think: "I wish I owned a better phone, I wish I spent more time on the Internet, I wish I spent more time at work or sleeping." It's not going to be any of those kinds of things. It's going to be: "I wish I spent more time with the people I loved."

Those weren't the exact words Kris Rice shared with me after we failed to achieve our goal last season - to be honest, that moment is a blur for me, but they couldn't have been much different than that.

As I bid farewell to this chapter of my life in Calgary, I am overwhelmed with emotions. The memories created, the bonds forged, and the collective triumphs celebrated will forever be etched in my heart. It's not just the victories I'll carry forever. The resilience, unity, and unwavering support define this journey. As I take my leave, I would like to show my appreciation to all of you - fans, teammates, mentors, and friends - for making these six seasons an unforgettable tapestry of growth, dedication, and shared dreams. This city, these experiences, and your love have left an indelible mark on my soul. Calgary holds a special place in my heart as the place where my dreams came true. I am filled with gratitude towards this magnificent city.

To any Seattle fan reading this piece, I couldn't be more proud to have the opportunity to play with your jersey. I am fully committed to supporting this team in their pursuit of victory and confident that we can secure another Continental Cup. I'll have the golden opportunity to play for, arguably, one of the best General Managers ever in Blake Campbell. The team that Blake has assembled to attack this season's title looks promising, and I can wait to put your colors on - and honor them.

As I embark on this new chapter, I carry the invaluable lessons of the past, the bonds that have shaped me, and the dreams that fuel my future. Here's to a new journey, friendships, and the shared pursuit of excellence.

Love,
Leandro

Spoiler

Mentions: @Daniel Janser, @Ricer13, @jacobcarson877, @Doomsday, @Rhynex Entertainment, @Phil, @jRuutu, @DollarAndADream , @vincentlg2007, @Banackock;

1500+ words. To be claimed in the weeks of September 10th, 17th, 24th.

Beautifully said @leandrofg! I’m so happy your experience with our group was such a positive one. It brings me joy that you can look back and reflect in a positive light. I was spoiled with how great this core group of players were in Calgary and it saddens me it all had to come to an end. You’ve got two more seasons left and I hope you show the league how great Leandro Goncalves can be. 

4 hours ago, jacobcarson877 said:

Is sim hockey really making me cry on a Wednesday afternoon?

2 hours ago, Daniel Janser said:

I am not crying, you are!

A good Wednesday afternoon cry, though. Sorry to have taken a day out of my vacations for this! ❤️

Article Review: Well written, this is heartfelt and sincere.  Any player having a long standing career within a city can empathize with this article.  Good luck on your journey, Calgary is not going to be the same without strong leadership that it has had for the last number of seasons.  The quality of this article gives mixed emptions, typically I want to encourage writer in their pursuit of such great work, yet in this instance that would be bitter as the heartache required to hit this depth shouldn't be experienced regularly.  Enjoy the remainder of your career, it may never feel like home but it can still be enjoyable.

Article gets a 10/10

3 hours ago, Doomsday said:

Cheers to a wonderful team filled with great friends and memories! I'm blessed that I got to be a part of it with you!

We were the ones lucky enough to have you with us for a couple of seasons!

3 hours ago, Ricer13 said:

Beautifully said @leandrofg! I’m so happy your experience with our group was such a positive one. It brings me joy that you can look back and reflect in a positive light. I was spoiled with how great this core group of players were in Calgary and it saddens me it all had to come to an end. You’ve got two more seasons left and I hope you show the league how great Leandro Goncalves can be. 

The memories will forever stay. ❤️

• 5 weeks later...