Grading Picks 11-16 of the S90 VHL Draft

FTK

My rankings on draft selections will be determined by a color code, followed by a description of my view of the pick to hopefully give each selection a unique flavor. As a bonus, I will be doing a “who I would have selected” at the end of every pick. Without any further delay, let’s review the first half of round one of the S90 VHL Entry Draft!

(PART TWO OF TWO)

Green - Good Pick

Blue - Underrated Pick

Purple - Certified Steal

Yellow - Questions, but a good player

Orange - A Reach

Red - A bad selection situationally

11th Overall - Severus Targaryen, Seattle Bears

@Banackock
Honestly just a solid selection by Seattle here. Severus might not light up the scoresheet like some of the top end prospects in the draft, but that's why he is a perfect pick outside of the top 10. Rock solid play as a center is honestly needed by every team in the VHL, and Seattle has their own locked up for the upcoming future. 

Who I would have picked: King Kisslinger

12th Overall - Obuz Schneider Canut du Bocage, Moscow Menace

@Grape
Spartan is one of my favorite GMs in the entirety of VHL, which is why it feels to be down on one of his selections in the first round. du Bocage no doubt belonged in the first round, but with prospects such as Banner, Zilla, and Kisslinger still available, it's hard to justify taking a defenseman who wasn’t even at the top of his positional board. As du Bocage’s teammate I hope he shatters this rating, but for now it's the biggest reach of the first round for me. 

Who I would have picked: Bruise Banner

13th Overall - Xiver Zilla, New York Americans

@jhatty8
I think Zilla definitely deserved to go around the 12-15 range, but with some of the other prospects on the board falling the way they had, I didn’t see him as the top prospect at the time. Zilla will be a good point-producer regardless of this ranking, this rating is only due to me favoring some of the prospects behind him.

14th Overall - Conference Prince-de-Galles, Prague Phantoms

@UnkemptCL4PTP

I strongly feel like Prince-de-Galles was the top defenseman available at the time, so for Prague to pick him up 14th was definitely a solid pick. Strangely, Prince-de-Galles didn’t receive much post-draft hype outside of Moscow, I think he’ll definitely play up to this selection. If du Bocage and Prince-de-Galles swapped places, I’d honestly like both selections. 

Who I would have picked - Conference Prince-de-Galles

15th Overall - King Kisslinger, Warsaw Predators

@Kisslinger
The definition of a steal for me. Imagining a Kisslinger-Anisimov line is criminal. Warsaw really nailed this draft, honestly I view both of their picks as excellent. If Kisslinger and Anisimov aren’t giving goalies nightmares for seasons to come I’ll be very surprised.

Who I would have picked - King Kisslinger

16th Overall - Bruise Banner, Helsinki Titans

@ctots

Having two steals at the end of the draft may make me look like a snob, but I honestly think both Kisslinger and Banner should have been selected before 15th and 16th respectively. Banner has the potential to become a franchise cornerstone in Helsinki, one can hope he hits his stride while Dixon and Grimes are still in theirs. 

Who I would have picked - Bruise Banner

• 4 months later...
On 8/16/2023 at 4:31 PM, FTK said:

12th Overall - Obuz Schneider Canut du Bocage, Moscow Menace

@Grape
Spartan is one of my favorite GMs in the entirety of VHL, which is why it feels to be down on one of his selections in the first round. du Bocage no doubt belonged in the first round, but with prospects such as Banner, Zilla, and Kisslinger still available, it's hard to justify taking a defenseman who wasn’t even at the top of his positional board. As du Bocage’s teammate I hope he shatters this rating, but for now it's the biggest reach of the first round for me. 

14th Overall - Conference Prince-de-Galles, Prague Phantoms

@UnkemptCL4PTP

I strongly feel like Prince-de-Galles was the top defenseman available at the time, so for Prague to pick him up 14th was definitely a solid pick. Strangely, Prince-de-Galles didn’t receive much post-draft hype outside of Moscow, I think he’ll definitely play up to this selection. If du Bocage and Prince-de-Galles swapped places, I’d honestly like both selections. 

Who I would have picked - Conference Prince-de-Galles

Bruise Banner: 329 TPE
Xiver Zilla: 435 TPE
King Kisslinger: 628 TPE
Conference Prince-de-Galless: 479 TPE

Obuz Schneider Canet du Bocage: 661 TPE

few