Nighthawks Announce Captains on Eve of S92

tcookie

On the eve of S92, Malmo Nighthawks general manager Christopher James held a press conference introducing the team’s leadership group for the upcoming season. The Nighthawks hope to be a playoff contender in S92, and these are the players who will be leading the way.

Wearing an “A” on his jersey will be Viktor Jensen. Jensen posted the first PPG season of his career in S91 with 75 points in 72 games, and he seems poised to take another step forward in S92. While Henry Eagles and Yaroslav Bogatyrev are bigger names, Jensen is the player who carries the “face of the franchise” mantle as the #1 centre and high upside former top draft pick. “We had some shakeups this past season, but Viktor remained committed and has helped create a fantastic culture in the locker room,” James told the media. “We’re definitely excited to have him with us!”

The second “A” goes to another S89 first-rounder, second-year forward Savaisk Tzesar. Tzesar has consistently impressed with his leadership for a player of his youth; he is a key member of the Nighthawks’ locker room and showed some promise in his rookie season with 15 goals and 33 points. Tzesar is a well-rounded power forward with some physicality to his game and has improved his game a lot over the off-season. With the opportunity to step into a first line role this season, look for big things from Tzesar in his sophomore season. Tzesar maintains that his goals are entirely team focused: “my goals are to help lead this team into the playoffs and further!”

Finally, sporting a “C”, goaltender Ash Sparks. Sparks has become a Malmo mainstay since coming over from Seattle, with this being his fourth year holding the starting job. Last season, Sparks posted a 38-21-5 record and 0.923 SV%. With 92 wins and 14 shutouts in a Malmo jersey so far, Sparks is a constant source of stability in net. Of course, more importantly for the captain of a team, Sparks is also a prominent member in the locker room. “He's been a staple of the Nighthawks for quite some time and has formed into a great leader within our locker room. We are extremely thrilled to have him back in net with Malmo and are excited to see him use his experience to lead us forward!” explained James.

In a moment, we will get more reaction from the Nighthawks on their leadership group and the upcoming season, but first, a word from our sponsors!

When you need a taco, you need a taco. And sometimes, that just happens to be at 6am on your way to practice.

That’s why we’ve partnered with the Malmo Nighthawks and new captain Ash Sparks to bring you the Taco Bell Breakfast Box deal. Grab yourself two tacos and a burrito of your choice, plus a drink and a Malmo Nighthawks S92 team poster featuring Ash Sparks for $5. Available every morning until 9:30am for a limited time only.

Live Más with Ash Sparks and the Malmo Nighthawks.

The Nighthawks have some big names in Henry Eagles, Yaroslav Bogatyrev, and Jacob Stone that will not be wearing a letter this season, but the Nighthawks emphasized that, with so many good options and leaders on the team, you don’t need a letter to lead. Eagles, an eighth-year vet in his third season with the team, is expected to wear an “A” on nights when Sparks has the night off for rest.

“It’s a great honour to be named Captain and play along such a great group”, Sparks told the media after being introduced as the new captain. “I’m confident in the leadership group, the management group keeping us on track and focused, and of course the entirety of the team. Every skater on our roster is critical to us making a push for the cup and I’m excited to chase after glory with these guys!”

“I’ve had a blast with these guys since getting here,” said rookie forward Phillip Rave. “It’s been a lot of fun in the locker room and you notice that guys like Tzesar and Sparks are always such a big part of it, so I think we’re all pretty united in feeling that they deserve some recognition. It’s such a good group, so it’s never easy to pick a few guys as the leaders, and I think we all know we can contribute to leading this team in our own ways, but these guys all deserve to wear those letters so much.”

With the leadership group in place, a talented roster, and by all accounts a strong locker room atmosphere, the Nighthawks believe they have what it takes to contend in S92. There are elite, first-line calibre talents in Jensen, Bogatyrev, and Eagles, a bonafide #1 defenseman in Stone, a proven veteran goaltender in Sparks, and plenty of good young players ready to make an impression. “I'm proud of the team we've assembled in Malmo and look forward to S92 with these wonderful individuals leading the charge,” concluded James.

“I’m just fired up and ready to lead our team back to the promised land,” Sparks said as the media wrapped up their duties, clearly looking forward to getting on the ice and embarking on the quest to the Continental Cup.

Forward Ronald Johnson MacWallace III echoed his excitement for the upcoming season. “I want to flatten other teams players like a hydraulic press coming down on an empty aluminum can.”

With the team assembling for one final team bonding session ahead of the new season, Rave grinned at the chaos ensuing as players left the press conference. “See, it’s an awesome group,” he told a reporter as he hung back for a minute. “Pretty happy I ended up here, just thankful overall for everything working out as it did. We all can’t wait to get out there. I think we have a good thing going here, and you can’t discount the value of good chemistry in a team sport.”

---

1003 words, this week & next

@DarkSpyro @hylands @KaleebtheMighty @Bojovnik @RJMW @comrade cat @Advantage @Greg_Di @Spaz @scoop @UnkemptCL4PTP