A Press Conference for VHML Players

1. How do you feel you've performed thus far into the VHLM season?
2. Do you have a teammate who you feel you can count on to back you up?
3. Is there a player on an opposing team that has her your respect or disdain, if so why?
4. Is there a team you're particularily interested in getting drafted by?
5. Do you believe your Squad is capable of winning the Founders Cup this year?
6. Who to you is the scariest opponent right now? (Team/player/goalie)

7. What current M player do you feel a sense of rivalry with?

8. If you had to be stuck on an island with 4 other M players, which would you pick and why?

9. Pick a M team. What would their mascot be? Look like? What would it’s name be?

10. Is there anything you’d like to say to the amazing new members of the league?

11. What’s been a surprise to you when it comes to the VHL or your experience in it? 

12. Are there any members you look up to and why?

13. How has your 2024 new year gone so far?

14. Anything fun and exciting coming up in life for you?

15. Your player was abducted by aliens. They probe you and steal important data from your hockey brain. What do the aliens learn about human life on planet earth because of your player? 

1. As a rookie in the league I feel I have started off pretty good in helping my team get the points we need

2. yeah I feel like my teammates are amazing and I can always count on them to back me up

3. Right now no one on other teams has my respect or disdain

4. I would love to be drafted by any team but one I particularly would love to get drafted by is Toronto 

5. I think our squad has a good chance at the cup, we have a great group and are ready to compete 

6. I think the scariest team right now is the marauders good group and I think will be hard to play against 

1. How do you feel you've performed thus far into the VHLM season? I feel like my player has not put up the offensive numbers that I would have liked having .5 pts a game but I do have a +5 and +/- is not the best stat but it does show that i have at least bean a positive impact on the ice.

2. Do you have a teammate who you feel you can count on to back you up? I feel I can count on all of my teammates In Houston to back me up as the team culture is really something special where everyone gets along and are having great chats.

3. Is there a player on an opposing team that has her your respect or disdain, if so why? Every player has my respect until they lose it.

4. Is there a team you're particularily interested in getting drafted by? I would be interested in being drafted by Seattle as my current gm AJ is their agm and their gm Banackock has been very nice to me since I joined.

5. Do you believe your Squad is capable of winning the Founders Cup this year? Definitely we already have a great team wee just got off to a slow start and we have a lot room to improve. 

6. Who to you is the scariest opponent right now? (Team/player/goalie) San Diego because we have had so many close games with them already but haven't been able to pull through to get the W.

7. What current M player do you feel a sense of rivalry with? No one but with a lot of M teams being close to Houston in player skill level i could see rivalries growing.

8. If you had to be stuck on an island with 4 other M players, which would you pick and why? Ondrej Vencko, Benjamin Abenduct, Trimiskez Artav, and Lucy Leitner because we have all had lots of great chats in the Houston lr.

9. Pick a M team. What would their mascot be? Look like? What would it’s name be? Houston's mascot should be a Bull (duh) that's name starts with a B for alliteration like Barry the Bull or Benny the bull.

10. Is there anything you’d like to say to the amazing new members of the league? We are all straight W's.

11. What’s been a surprise to you when it comes to the VHL or your experience in it? How amazing and welcoming the community was because there is not many community's like this and a lot of them are full of pricks.

12. Are there any members you look up to and why? AJ, and Banackock for the same reasons I said for why I want to be drafted by Seattle lol.

13. How has your 2024 new year gone so far? Great!

14. Anything fun and exciting coming up in life for you? The new semester starting inearly February so i will never have to deal with french class again

15. Your player was abducted by aliens. They probe you and steal important data from your hockey brain. What do the aliens learn about human life on planet earth because of your player? That our brains are full of the strangest most random shit that we can think of.

So far, I think it's been a decent start to the season personally, just trying to get a feel for the game at this level and the points have been coming, which is obviously nice.  I need to be a bit more disciplined though, I'm probably taking too many penalties.  Definitely not satisfied with our team record so far, but we've got a lot of belief in our locker-room that we can turn that around.  The main thing will be to stick with our development plans.  There's a lot of young players on our squad so we just have to keep working every day and getting better.   

He's only been here four games so far, but Abenduct has been an unreal defense partner.  He's so reliable defensively and it's really just allowed me to play my game and not have to worry about what my partner is doing.  I think we really match well together on the blueline, so yeah, definitely him. But honestly, all my teammates have been incredible so far.

3. Is there a player on an opposing team that has your respect or disdain, if so why?

Honestly, Annie Oaks has got my respect in Saskatoon. She's got a wicked shot and was really dangerous in the game we played against them.  Definitely someone to watch, I think, in terms of rookies in this league.

4. Is there a team you're particularly interested in getting drafted by?

I'll be happy to be drafted by any team in the VHL or VHLE, just a huge honor! It's hard to pick just one, but maybe Calgary since I've got some family there.  I'd also be super stoked to play in Sweden for the Malmo Nighthawks.  But like I said, I'll be happy whereever I end up.

I do.  I think we've got a super strong dressing room with a ton of drive to improve.  I really believe that by the end of the season we can be competing for the Founders Cup.

I mean, we've played San Diego twice and lost 2-1 both times.  They play such a strong defensive game and don't give us much, so I'd probably go with them as the "scariest" opponent right now.  Just tough to play against.

I don't think I can call anyone out in particular, haha, but you always just wanna play with a competitive edge and see how you stack up against the best.  The better my opponents play, the more I'm motivated to get better, so I think it's kind of a good type of competition.

8. If you had to be stuck on an island with 4 other M players, which would you pick and why?

Okay, so it's me, Vencko, cuz he's stupid funny, Ecker, Artav, and... dang, this is kinda hard. I guess I'd bring Abenduct, he's just got such a solid, logical, stabilizing personality so he'd probably keep the rest of us goofs in check.

9. Pick a M team. What would their mascot be? Look like? What would it’s name be?

Oh, um, maybe Vegas, haha, they could have a mascot who is just a giant playing card. I think it'd be kinda funny, just this giant ace of spades awkwardly bumping around the arena. I don't know, that's probably a stupid idea.  Haha, just call him Ace, that way when he says hello to kids it'll be like, "Ace says hi!"-- Aces high... sorry I gotta stop with the puns, I'm terrible.

10. Is there anything you’d like to say to the amazing new members of the league?

I'm super excited to see where our careers take us and I'm proud to share the ice with y'all!

11. What’s been a surprise to you when it comes to the VHL or your experience in it? 

I've definitely been surprised by the amazing community around the league. People have just been so warm and welcoming and that's just made it really easy to get used to things and feel comfortable.  

I mean, there's a bunch so it's hard to choose one, but I'm gonna go with my GM AJW. He's just set such a great example for all of us rookies. 

2024 has been a great year so far, haha, sticking to my resolutions thus far has been a positive-- two weeks down, let's go! But yeah, excited to see what the rest of the year has in store.

Not really, haha, just the usual grind, at least for a while, but maybe later in the year.  I guess we'll see...

15. Your player was abducted by aliens. They probe you and steal important data from your hockey brain. What do the aliens learn about human life on planet earth because of your player? 

Haha, what a question! They'd probably learn that we think about the most odd, random stuff.  I don't envy anyone who gets to read my thoughts, haha, god... what a mess.

Edited by LucyXpher

10 hours ago, Noodle Enjoyer said:

3. Is there a player on an opposing team that has her your respect or disdain, if so why?

1. I think I've performed very well. I've scored almost every game.

2. Chris Reynolds Jr. He's been a great linemate, and I greatly appreciate him. I love this whole team though.

3. To be honest nobody, until they piss me off.

4. I like Helsinki. They're pretty cool. Seattle would be nice too since AJ is great.

5. Definitely. We will all be capped at the season's end for a nice run!

6. San Diego. We've played them multiple times and lost in close matchups.

I’ve definitely not performed to my standard. I need to step up and start contributing more if my team is gonna start winning more games

I can always count on Nathan Ecker he’s my guy.

I feel my team can still win the founders cup, we just gotta get going on offense

Our scariest opponent is Las Vegas, they’re killing it right now and we need to catch up to them

If I was stuck on an island with 4 other players it would be Ecker, Jake, Mutti, and Lucy

The Houston Bulls mascot would be a bull wearing a bulls jersey, I think his name would be Bobby or Benny

I feel my performance has been way below my expectations as well as everyone else's. I strive to be great at what I do, which is probably relatable in any given profession. Currently, I'm just in a rut with only 5 points in 10 games, but I'm looking to be a breakout player before it's all said and done.

Yes. Another player that I seem to have some chemistry with has been @Noodle Enjoyer. We both started and the same time, and they've been super supportive and extremely helpful. 

I couldn't honestly narrow it down to any one player as far as respect goes. There needs to be a certain level of respect for every player in the league. So, I'd say that all of you are in even keel in the respect department. So far, I haven't had any real feelings of rivalry against anyone specific.

Well, at the moment I'm trying not to focus too much on the draft itself as much as I have been staying in the moment and trying to elevate my game. When the draft comes, I'll just be happy to be selected.

Of course I do. We're off to a slow start, but we're gaining momentum as time goes on. There are a few key pieces missing in the line up, but we're making the best of what we're working with.

To answer this is to say that I live in fear of someone or a team as a whole. If I go into the ice with that type of mentality I'm doomed. So, going back to the question about respect, I just try to equally respect everyone and not put any one individual in a pedestal.

On 1/14/2024 at 8:03 AM, Noodle Enjoyer said:

Thanks for posting these!

1. Until the most recent couple of games I would have said a disappointment, but 8 points in 2 games against the Hounds may hopefully get me back on track. Hoping that things are looking up for Halifax.

2. Trading for Aanarsi Reingaard right before the start of the season was absolutely clutch. They've been a great linemate and just general teammate, letting me show off some more playmaker skills.

3. Naturally there's going to be friendship with somebody from the same country like Gianfranco Del Rocco and I, but there's a bit of a rivalry there too. As two players fighting to be the top pick in the draft, we're both doing our best to one-up each other.

4. I'm honestly open to any team right now, I could see myself fitting many different places. But if I have to choose, I do like playing somewhere new, and Vancouver could be a lottery team I've never played for.

5. Not right now if I'm being realistic, but I do think we have the path to get there. It's just a matter of growing together to be at our best by playoff time.

6. Miami has looked very scary in our conference thus far, and they're only getting better. It's giving us something to strive towards.

1) In my first two games i feel as though ive performed well

3) They all have my respect so far, hopefully no one loses it

5) I believe we are capable but it isnt going to be easy

10) It may be hard to understand at first but once you get the hang of it its so much fun

13) new year has been great

14) I was given alternate captaincy on my hockey team

• 5 weeks later...

What current M player do you feel a sense of rivalry with?
@Noodle EnjoyerEnjoyer It's a healthy rivalry, but we came into the M at the same time, on the same team. Later, we were both traded to other teams. So, there's a bit of natural rivalry vibes there. I always wish them well nonetheless. 
If you had to be stuck on an island with 4 other M players, which would you pick and why?
Again @Noodle Enjoyer@Tetricide @LucyXpher and @Tetricide
They've all been supportive and helpful. I need @Tetricide there so we can ponder how The Dallas Stars are doing.

Pick a M team. What would their mascot be? Look like? What would it’s name be?
Well, I have to go with my current team, Miami. It'd be a pirate with a wooden leg and a custom skate built for it. His name would be Captain Scallywag Slapper.
Is there anything you’d like to say to the amazing new members of the league?
Really just thanks for being such a friendly bunch. I think that's important in regards to keeping players interested in the league as a whole. 

What’s been a surprise to you when it comes to the VHL or your experience in it? 
I misjudged the building algorithm or whatever. I sort of tried to build my player here like I would build my player for NHL 24. It's not working in my favor.

Are there any members you look up to and why? 
@Tetricide He just seems like an all around good guy, and I appreciate his favorite hockey team. Plus, he's open to suggestions and new ideas.

How has your 2024 new year gone so far? Same old routine for me. Work, school, part time caregiver. It works for me. I like having a pretty structured life.

Anything fun and exciting coming up in life for you?

Well, I guess finishing my second semester of psychology is pretty exciting. Mainly because I'm one step closer to my degree,but it's been challenging and I'm living up to the challenge. So, that's gratifying and exciting at the same time.

Your player was abducted by aliens. They probe you and steal important data from your hockey brain. What do the aliens learn about human life on planet earth because ofall-arounder? 

The aliens would learn that Dallas has the most likable team in the NHL. They'd also learn that I don't always wear a cup when I play because I doubt the only area they'd be probing around was my brain. You know how those pesky aliens roll.

On 1/14/2024 at 8:28 AM, Banackock said:

7. For me it's  @UghSike and @frescoelmo starting at the same time as ughsike and on the same team as both of them then playing against them in the postseason it's a friendly rivalry that pushes all of us to be better.

10. I think as advise I would say to turn on the STHS ratios when you're spending your TPE so you have a better idea what each stat gives.

11. that my player has been as successful as she has, I didn't see myself finishing top 10 in scoring and then being on a team going to the finals in the postseason.

12. @Ricer13 Ricer is the friendliest person I've interacted thus far, he is very talkative on discord and always willing to help out.

13. So far so good started going to gym 4-5 days a week in mid Feb and hoping to make sure I keep it up.

14. Nothing so far, planning to save money this year and finally go on an actual legit vacation next year though.

• Senior Admin
On 1/14/2024 at 12:28 PM, Banackock said:

8. Annie Oakes, Freja Hope, Harry Potter, and Phil Taylor. This one was easily...we're all used to being stuck on an island. 

9. Halifax - Personally I think it should be a donair costume like the one the government auctioned off... for your viewing pleasure: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/donair-costume-winner-alberta-1.6936780. Let's call him Donny Donair! 

10. Welcome to the VHL! It can easily seem overwhelming to a new member but it's a quick learning curve and there's lots of people willing to help so don't be afraid to ask questions. 

11. I don't think this question was intended for me but whatever - the biggest surprise to me overall honestly is just the VHL's longevity and how many members with such long tenures remain here today. I never would have imagined the VHL would still be thriving back when I joined in I think 2015 which almost still feels new compared to some others. Pretty wild. 

12. I have a lot of respect for everyone that has made significant contributions to the VHL over the years but particularly those like yourself that have done it with such consistency and unwavering dedication for so long, some of the tenures are pretty impressive and I think that's been a great asset to the league. 

13. My 2024 has been pretty good, although aside from entering the VHLM, not all that different from 2023. But it's early and I think it will shape up to be a good year, hoping to get some good vacations in and steadily renovating my place. 

On 1/14/2024 at 9:03 AM, Noodle Enjoyer said:

1. I certainly can't complain! We're in the finals and I've been able help out on the ice as well

2. I really think we have a whole host of players on our roster who always have each others' backs.

3. My dad raised me to always respect the opposition which is something I continue to cling to.

4. I'm open to anyone who wants to draft me!

5. I have zero doubt - just gotta keep our fingers crossed

6. Our biggest opponent is ourselves!