Trivia is the answer

jRuutu

6s6IssM.png

An ongoing debate has been going on for a number of years in VHL; how can VHL get as many welfare users away from welfare earning and into doing point tasks? The ultimate goal and wish is that articles, graphics, and podcasts are steadily posted into the forum, creating a fun and active community that encourages people to invest in the league. Equally important is the goal to increase the activity on the forums and on Discord to create a place where people from all over the world come together to compete and have fun. Since VHL has a large population of welfare users, it is these users that can make a big impact on VHL.

So far, the efforts to encourage welfare users to create point tasks have largely circled around trying to understand the users and giving them the benefit of the doubt by making sure the welfare users are able to reach the very top of VHL without the need to do point tasks. As we have seen, the results have been rather poor. Not that many welfare users have made the jump into doing point tasks and the new point task creators are largely completely new users in VHL.

I see a lot of similarities between the welfare user problem and the obesity problem around the world. Many countries struggle with the obesity problem. As with welfare users, societies around the world have largely focused on trying to understand the people and giving them the benefit of the doubt by making sure the people can still feel part of the human experience by creating social media filters, spreading the inner beauty propaganda, and creating the "work from home" jobs. As we have seen, the results have been poor, the obesity problem is almost a crisis now as people do not have to do much in order to fill their every need.

I think it is time we start asking for more. It is time for a new set of expectations in order for growth and improvement to happen. I suggest that in VHL welfare users are forced to answer 4 to 5 trivia questions in order to maybe claim the full welfare. Based on the research I have done, it should not take more than a few weeks before, at the very least, 50% of the welfare users just give up and start doing point tasks because it is easier to do a point task than trying to understand and research how a user that does not exist can have over 20 awards.

Some welfare users might feel the need to do any research on trivia is simply too much and they quit right away, so I am willing to extend an olive branch by suggesting that the trivia questions will be "yes or no" questions, so you can simply guess the answer. If you did not get any of the answers right, I guess it was not your week. Based on the research I have done, it should not take more than a few weeks before the remaining 50% start to feel like research is necessary in order to maybe claim full welfare. And when a few more weeks go by they realize it is just easier to do point tasks, so they start doing point tasks.

It really is that simple.

I do think trivia has a major accessibility issue these days. A lot of questions are either a.) pointless; b.) worded in confusing/misleading ways, or c.) intentionally made obscure enough that you need to know the forum inside and out to even get a hint at the answer. I’ve seen people get laughed at on Discord for having an issue with all of those things and I don’t think that’s right. 

I can see where the idea that you should be putting in work for your answers comes in to justify those questions for people like me who have been here for years and DO know how to find just about anything. But I don’t think “lol, just try harder, idiot” applies for a new member or a casual one who might not have any idea how to navigate. 

Now that the portal labels first-gen players, we should be able to have questions marked as appropriate for new members (reasonably easily found on the portal or the forum’s HoF section) or otherwise and have the weird ones excluded from those players. I think that would keep trivia expectations more fair across the board. 

3 minutes ago, Gustav said:

Now that the portal labels first-gen players, we should be able to have questions marked as appropriate for new members (reasonably easily found on the portal or the forum’s HoF section) or otherwise and have the weird ones excluded from those players. I think that would keep trivia expectations more fair across the board. 

I like this idea, having a separate pool specific to new members, however we do not have the capability to do so with the current system. Would be a Josh or Will thing but that’s just another thing to add to the long list of improvements they’re working on.

My only concern with it is still the answer sharing because if we had just a specific pool running 24/7/365 for new member lbs it would be very easy to compile a database over time. I would honestly like BOG to discuss it because it’s just me myself and I making a large amount of the decisions for trivia and some more thought out input on where we draw the line of is answering sharing less important than retention to therefore justify answer sharing for new memebers?

not a plug to put me on bog but more input would be helpful if we did decide to more forward on this

Article Review:  Honestly I avoid doing trivia altogether based on the reason of the article above.  I can do a game review or a media spot review in less than 5 minutes but most trivia questions you need to basically ask for the answer because as noted the question is so poorly worded that there is no way you can decipher what is being asked or you are left counting through 92 years of history on 3 different spreadsheets to get an answer.  Trivia needs to be completely overhauled or eliminated.  I like this article because it provides a whimsical stance on the entire issue, both welfare only players and trivia. I don't agree that people should just be given points, but trivia sure isn't the right answer currently.

I give this article an 8/10

I had a question ask: What was the answer to question #1 in the S66 Week 3 Trivia?

Grape took the words out of my mouth, that question sucked. I don't want to go researching for stuff like this it's boring and not even trivia imo. @N0HBDY you do a great job running this, I just don't think questions like this should be approved, they aren't fun.

Edited by AJW

14 minutes ago, AJW said:

I had a question ask: What was the answer to question #1 in the S66 Week 3 Trivia?

Grape took the words out of my mouth, that question sucked. I don't want to go researching for stuff like this it's boring and not even trivia imo. @N0HBDY you do a great job running this, I just don't think questions like this should be approved, they aren't fun.

I mean the answer is written right there, also highlighted depending on what mode you use the forum in "It was a tie not too long ago on 12, a number of cups I remain on with a few others, but tfong pulled away in S65 by winning his 13th." it's just slow down and read carefully, it's one of the more direct questions imo. This was also a question of my own making because we didn't have enough community given questions

37 minutes ago, JCarson said:

question is so poorly worded

1. I'm only human and so are the other members who submitted questions

37 minutes ago, JCarson said:

Trivia needs to be completely overhauled or eliminated.

2. Outright terrible take

People have to learn it's ok to ask for help, I see new members attempting trivia and asking for help in the discord channel all the time and they get help from myself or another member in <1 hour. Sure the spreadsheet questions are a little harder, the portal ones are probably the easiest, I've said it many times if you ask for help from me directly I will give you the source to the answer and all you have to do is find it. People complained that there wasn't enough variety or opportunities to earn tpe when trivia took a break before it was implemented on portal. So eliminating it us just a terrible idea, would love to hear any suggestions on how to "overhaul" it. This has however given me an idea however to try and improve the "findability" of spreadsheet questions so I will possibly try to act on that in the near future.

21 minutes ago, N0HBDY said:

This was also a question of my own making because we didn't have enough community given questions

My suggestion is to reach out to GMs to provide this link for their team at the beginning of each season. I bet you lots of people don't even know they can earn uncapped TPE from submitting questions. One of my player's actually showed me this thread this season because I forgot it was a thing! I'll 100% be posting it each season now. Should definitely be something all league GMs should be sharing with their team.

7 hours ago, AJW said:

My suggestion is to reach out to GMs to provide this link for their team at the beginning of each season. I bet you lots of people don't even know they can earn uncapped TPE from submitting questions. One of my player's actually showed me this thread this season because I forgot it was a thing! I'll 100% be posting it each season now. Should definitely be something all league GMs should be sharing with their team.

This reminded me I used to do basically that, at least this one linked here is the most recent I could find, don't know why I stopped really (probably the fallout of using the members tag). But the thing is I had already rolled over the question pool before this last recruitment wave so it's not on them, we're actually way up on question submissions with lots of new names appearing! It's not going to be an issue to where I have to make the questions for this season at least

12 hours ago, N0HBDY said:

Currently Trivia cannot support yes or no questions 😅

Yes or no <rest of question>
Answers:  Yes, Don't Pick, No ,Don't Pick

ez pz

9 hours ago, Garsh said:

Yes or no <rest of question>
Answers:  Yes, Don't Pick, No ,Don't Pick

ez pz

But someone will still find a way to select the options you're no supposed to and it'll just be an unnecessary problem

7 hours ago, N0HBDY said:

But someone will still find a way to select the options you're no supposed to and it'll just be an unnecessary problem

OK so what do you do now if someone tells you they selected the wrong one on accident?  Why treat this any different?  It would be even easier to know they did because unless they are wanting to troll you they have no reason to select the dummy answers

If possible, I'd love to see this idea implemented. I've rarely used trivia as a means to gain 2 TPE each week. You've clearly stated why. It's difficult for me, and probably many others, to navigate or come up with search results that give at least a clue. Although I've gotten better at searching through the forums, it seems I could pump out 200 or more words for an article quicker than I could find the trivia answers I was looking for. I'm not complaining. Some things just aren't everyone's cup of tea. But, I like this and the article is well written. 10/10

👍