Rebranding yourself in the VHL, a collection of stories.

Hogan

“Tfong” has not been a member of our league for years at this point. Yet to me and many others, “Baozi” is not a member of this league. For years, our head moderator was known in the league as Tfong, making the switch over to Baozi seemingly in late 2021. I have been in this league for nearly 5 years and have shared more time with Baozi then I have Tfong, yet I will always know the head moderator to be Tfong. 

I believe this is the case for many older members, and a cause of confusion for the younger ones. This week is all about rebranding, and I think rebranding yourself is the hardest thing you can do.

TXC is a name that I used in the VHL for a brief period of time. I coined it after less than a year of joining and its original intention was to draw away from Hogan. Hogan was meant to be my player and I didn’t exactly know what I was doing when I created my player. I did actually receive many people calling me TXC, but as you can see, I’m Hogan again. Hogan never left people's minds, many still referred to me as it and I think now if I was still TXC many still would call me Hogan. 

In response to me telling Gorlab my name is no longer Hogan.

Gorlab- “it is to me…and it always will be”

N0h- “Calling you txc is just weird”

As I learned from Gustav’s most recent 30 for 30. Instant Rockstar once tried to rebrand as “Goonie”. This was a few months before my time but it seems as if the Goonie name was shed very early, but late enough for him to get a VHLM GM job. 

Diamond Ace- “@beketov just so you know, the new member was actually ir the whole time”

I believe the VHL’s most notable rebrand was one done by Kachur. Many know the legend of Horcrux, and those there to experience it know that the legend lives up to the stories. For those who don’t know, Kachur was an old member who was banned and generally not heard from in a long time. On the other hand, Horcrux was a huge piece in the current landscape of the VHL and the moderation team .Horcrux presented themselves as a queer woman, which we now know to not be anywhere close to the truth. Horcrux was only in the league for 2 months, Oct-Dec 2021. 59 Days in the VHL with 323 posts equally out to about 5 and a half per day. This number does not include the discord which would bring our totals up immensely. Around the middle of Horcrux’s time in the league, there was a large change in the COC, while not directly caused by them I believe they had the second largest hand in that whole scenario. But not all things last, shortly after Horcrux was found to be Kachur and was rightfully banned. 

I don’t want to bring up the specifics behind everything. Kachur was a horrible member who caused a lot of pain for numerous of our members and I do not wish to bring it all back up. 

In the end, rebranding yourself in the VHL is something that is so incredibly hard to do. Once members know you as one name or character, it will stick. But with true dedication I am sure it’s possible. Or in the case of Horcrux, pure delusion.

Although I have used the Doomsday name since Season 32 when I first joined, that is technically a rebrand from my first appearance here in Season Four. 👀

Edited by Doomsday

5 hours ago, Hogan said:

Maybe just shorten your name to Jcarson?

wake up everyone, funniest hogan comment just dropped

10 hours ago, Doomsday said:

Although I have used the Doomsday name since Season 32 when I first joined, that is technically a rebrand from my first appearance here in Season Four. 👀

Is this common knowledge? It's the first time I've heard of it.

11 hours ago, Hogan said:

TXC is a name that I used in the VHL for a brief period of time. I coined it after less than a year of joining and its original intention was to draw away from Hogan. Hogan was meant to be my player and I didn’t exactly know what I was doing when I created my player. I did actually receive many people calling me TXC, but as you can see, I’m Hogan again. Hogan never left people's minds, many still referred to me as it and I think now if I was still TXC many still would call me Hogan. 

This wasn't even intentional but I don't think I ever said TXC. I would have been fine switching if you asked but I don't think it ever would have occurred to me to do that normally. 

Wasn't there some day when Devise took control of your account and posted a few stupid things on it, and didn't that happen around the same time as TXC? I remember for some reason thinking that your name was switched by someone other than yourself and you just decided to roll with that for a while. Maybe I'm just making things up.

I actually really like the name Hogan and I think it works well in a sim league where a lot of us know each other by more "normal" sounding names than just gamer tags. For context, I got my original username (and therefore my current one) by just rearranging the name of a bass player from a band I don't even really listen to anymore. My name isn't actually Gustav, but I've found that I love that that's how people know me because it works exactly the same as if it were. I'm familiar to people and it doesn't sound fake.

5 minutes ago, Gustav said:

This wasn't even intentional but I don't think I ever said TXC. I would have been fine switching if you asked but I don't think it ever would have occurred to me to do that normally. 

Wasn't there some day when Devise took control of your account and posted a few stupid things on it, and didn't that happen around the same time as TXC? I remember for some reason thinking that your name was switched by someone other than yourself and you just decided to roll with that for a while. Maybe I'm just making things up.

I actually really like the name Hogan and I think it works well in a sim league where a lot of us know each other by more "normal" sounding names than just gamer tags. For context, I got my original username (and therefore my current one) by just rearranging the name of a bass player from a band I don't even really listen to anymore. My name isn't actually Gustav, but I've found that I love that that's how people know me because it works exactly the same as if it were. I'm familiar to people and it doesn't sound fake.

Devise did take my account but I only think he edited a post (the one where I @'d members causing me to @ them again". Not sure when the name change happened but I do honestly prefer Hogan. 

• Commissioner
3 minutes ago, OrbitingDeath said:

I successfully rebranded once and never looked back.

You are Green and shall forever remain Green. I must solidify my claim of having the most successful rebranding.

Just now, Beketov said:

You are Green and shall forever remain Green. I must solidify my claim of having the most successful rebranding.

My cup winning rate has gone done since the rebrand if that helps.

And technically Green is also no longer Green but 'NotAVHLMGM' as that account kept notifying me for stuff i shouldnt have had rights too.
To call my rebrand succesfull in terms of winning stuff - nope,   but in a matter of feeling better with the new name personally, hell yes. 

9 hours ago, Gustav said:
20 hours ago, Doomsday said:

I know I've talked about it before, but I have no idea who has heard it.