Joel Castle's Last Stand

Well, this is it, my last earning post for Joel Castle. The Cup Final will either end tonight or tomorrow but I’ve taken it to the extreme end. And what a ride it’s been! No matter how Simon rolls the dice tonight, it’s been a great career. November 7, 2022 I was drafted by the Toronto Legion and soon my time in the crease will end and it will be time for another to guard the Legion net.

With all the amazing goalies that have played for the Legion over the years, I knew I would never be the best one, but I’m proud and grateful to have accomplished as much as I did. I never thought it would be as good as it has been. It has been an honor to stand in the blue paint, look up to the rafters and see those that have been in the same spot before me: Alex Gegeny, Aidan Shaw, Remy LeBeau, Hans Wingate, and Jaxx Hextall. To also know that many Hall-of-Famers defended the same net – Maxim Desny, Alexander Labatte, Greg Clegane, and Norris Stopko – gave me a sense of duty to perform well every night.

Joel Castle finishes his Legion career with the following stats:

Regular season:

GP: 504 (2nd all-time Legion), W: 256 (2nd), L: 197 (2nd), OTL: 47 (2nd), SV%: 0.924 (T-8th), GAA: 2.59, SO: 28 (T-7th), SA: 16949 (1st)

Playoffs:

GP: 63 (1st), W: 37 (1st, T-11th VHL), L: 24 (2nd), OTL: 2, SV%: 0.927 (5th), GAA: 2.47 (5th), SO: 6 (1st, T-8th VHL), SA: 2155 (1st)

One of only four goalies in VHL history to post 4 shutouts in a single post-season (Brick Wahl S39 & S42, M.T. Power S53, Jesse Teno S88, Castle S94)

Accolades:

S84 Founder’s Cup (Las Vegas)

S85 JST Champions (Dehli Pickles)

S86 WJC Silver Medal (Canada)

S90 WC Gold Medal (Canada)

S91 Continental Cup (Toronto), S91 Diasuke Kanou Trophy, S91 All-VHL Second Team

S92 WC Bronze Medal (Canada)

S94 Victory Cup (Toronto)

I want to thank @Shindigs for drafting me to Las Vegas and @Moon for drafting me in the S86 draft to Toronto and allowing me to assist as AGM.

I want to thank the rest of the Legion management team for being so awesome to work with: @Peace, @v.2 , @dstevensonjr.

Thanks to the BUGs that have come in when I had a bad game and rode the pine at the expense of their own playing time – DJ Fire Dragon @Firekiss, Even Bihler @Eb14, Toddly Bobbly @ToddlyBobbly - it was a pleasure sharing the crease with you!

Thanks to Oskar Lindbergh @Doomsday for accepting a trade to Calgary and allowing me to become the starter right away – which I think turned out good for both of us!

Thanks to the rest of the “Fab Four” from the S86 Draft: Fuukka Rask @Jubis, Lachlan Summers @kirbithan and Ash Sparks @DarkSpyro. You guys pushed me to be better every day and it was honor to battle against you.

And especially I wish to sincerely thank all my teammates over the years with the Las Vegas Aces, Geneva Rush and of course, Toronto Legion. You have made this journey with Joel Castle so awesome and I appreciate every one of you.

I’m taking a season off but I’ll be around. I’m looking to recreate for the S97? Draft. Everyone have a great summer!

Edited by animal74

It has been an amazing run, I couldn't have asked for a better group of guys to help run this amazing franchise.  I'm very excited to see how your next player turns out! 

Let's go win this cup.

Love ya