Official Videogame Thread

Sandro

Brace your wallets, ladies and gents. Buying a new game on launch in Canada is going to cost you $74.99 before taxes now. The importance of those E3 pre-order deals just rose tenfold.

• Commissioner

Brace your wallets, ladies and gents. Buying a new game on launch in Canada is going to cost you $74.99 before taxes now. The importance of those E3 pre-order deals just rose tenfold.

Seriously, they upped the fucking price again? This is getting a little much. We already pay an extra $50 on the consoles, why should we get tacked an extra $15 on per game as well.

Lol add in the shitty highest 15% tax for NS and it's 87 dollars for a new game. Fuck that noise.

• Commissioner

Lol add in the shitty highest 15% tax for NS and it's 87 dollars for a new game. Fuck that noise.

$85 in NB, not a whole lot better. I'm just hoping they'll be stupid and not up the collector's edition prices and we can start getting $20 worth of content for next to nothing because the base game costs so much, I doubt it though.

All this says to me is that I need to start buying used games again. They can be greedy and try to get an extra $15 out of me all they want but it just means they'll get nothing instead.

They could have at least not increased the price on digital download games, although I'm sure they have. They don't have to bother packaging or shipping anything so why should we still have to pay insane prices for them. Give it a year and we'll likely be over $100 after tax just to buy a new game.

• Commissioner

I always buy my games on Steam a couple years after they have come out for like $5.

Not so helpful for console gamers or anyone who wants to actually play new games unfortunately.

The thing everyone's been !@#$%ing on about The Order is that it's reportedly taking people 5 hours or so to complete the game and 2.5 hours of that are cutscenes. Then on top of that there's no multiplayer. Also that's it's pretty linear, so if you play it a second time things aren't going to change, giving it no replayability for a $70 game that only lasts 5-7 hours. I haven't played it myself so I can't really give my own opinion.

Man, about the Canadian price raise on released games....that's ridiculous.

I already have to buy Bloodborne and Borderlands: Handsome Edition next month on March 24th. Then there's also Final Fantasy: Type-0 which is the week for it I believe, and that game comes with the FF15 demo which I'm stupidly excited for. I've been waiting for FF15 for a long, long time. It's one of the reasons I bought a PS3 and now it's finally coming to the PS4. It was originally named FInal Fantasy 13: Versus and a Playstation exclusive, but it was so much different than FF13 that they had to rename it and continue to work on it. The game looks fantastic.

/ramble

The thing everyone's been !@#$%ing on about The Order is that it's reportedly taking people 5 hours or so to complete the game and 2.5 hours of that are cutscenes. Then on top of that there's no multiplayer. Also that's it's pretty linear, so if you play it a second time things aren't going to change, giving it no replayability for a $70 game that only lasts 5-7 hours. I haven't played it myself so I can't really give my own opinion.

Hint: It's bullshit. For the most part.

It's easy as fuck to speedrun the game in 5 to 5 and a half hours. But you can also speedrun something like Demon's Souls in 30 minutes if you really wanted to. Most people I've talked to fall between 8 to 10 hours for completion. 2 hours of cutscenes, 6+ of gameplay. Enemy AI isn't the greatest but the devs fucking nailed the mechanics of shooting the guns.

Edited by Sandro

• Commissioner

Hint: It's bullshit. For the most part.

It's easy as fuck to speedrun the game in 5 to 5 and a half hours. But you can also speedrun something like Demon's Souls in 30 minutes if you really wanted to. Most people I've talked to fall between 8 to 10 hours for completion. 2 hours of cutscenes, 6+ of gameplay. Enemy AI isn't the greatest but the devs fucking nailed the mechanics of shooting the guns.

It sounds decent and looks amazing but, honestly, even 6 hours with no replay-ability (no open world, no multiplayer, etc) doesn't seem worth it at $70. I'll definitely look for a used copy or sales or something but I want at least 12+ hours of playtime out of a full price game.

It sounds decent and looks amazing but, honestly, even 6 hours with no replay-ability (no open world, no multiplayer, etc) doesn't seem worth it at $70. I'll definitely look for a used copy or sales or something but I want at least 12+ hours of playtime out of a full price game.

Eh, value is up to the individual person. I paid $55 and I'm fine with that. It's a technical marvel and the gunplay is so damn satisfying that I replay certain sections just to mess around with the weapons.

6+ is still nothing

Depends on who you're asking. After playing Shadow of Mordor, Assassin's Creed Unity, and Far Cry 4 back-to-back-to-back I was more than ready for an 8 hour long, linear title. I enjoyed those first three games, but fucking hell everyone seems to use the same open-world formula nowadays.

Eh, value is up to the individual person. I paid $55 and I'm fine with that. It's a technical marvel and the gunplay is so damn satisfying that I replay certain sections just to mess around with the weapons.

Depends on who you're asking. After playing Shadow of Mordor, Assassin's Creed Unity, and Far Cry 4 back-to-back-to-back I was more than ready for an 8 hour long, linear title. I enjoyed those first three games, but fucking hell everyone seems to use the same open-world formula nowadays.

I'm with you there. Going back to Destiny, playing The Crew, Hearthstone, Shadows of Mordor and now Evolve it was nice to finally get to a game that actually ends relatively quickly. With the busy of life it's nice to sit down for a weekend and finish a well made product imo. 

The Order is polarizing everyone, I quite like it but what I would suggest at the end of the day is that you should play it.

Whether you rent it, borrow from a friend, pick it up for cheap or buy it full price. That's up to you, and how you value what the game is. But I think it is a game that deserves to be played because the gunplay is fucking fantastic, the game is unbelievably gorgeous, and the world that Ready at Dawn has created is incredibly intriguing and ripe for a sequel.

I'm just hoping The Order: 1887 is the same kind of leap that Uncharted 2 and Assassin's Creed II were over their predecessors.

Edited by Sandro

I know this is at least 3 years old, but I just found an unopened copy of ARMA 2: Combined Operations?

Fuck knows when I bought that.

Has anyone played the ARMA series and is ARMA 2 the one you can use the Day-Z mod with?

I know this is at least 3 years old, but I just found an unopened copy of ARMA 2: Combined Operations?

Fuck knows when I bought that.

Has anyone played the ARMA series and is ARMA 2 the one you can use the Day-Z mod with?

Yeah ARMA 2 should be the one that the orginal Day-Z mod came for. i bought ARMA 3 in a steam sale a while ago but haven't really played it yet, I loooved Operation Flashpoint back in the day though.

And about The Order, for some reason this game was never really interesting for me at all, the first announcements and trailers weren't particularly interesting and I think I completely lost interest after the presentation at E3. Doesn't mean that it's a bad game of course but I don't think they did a good job marketing/presenting it and are now feeling the results of that.

And about The Order, for some reason this game was never really interesting for me at all, the first announcements and trailers weren't particularly interesting and I think I completely lost interest after the presentation at E3. Doesn't mean that it's a bad game of course but I don't think they did a good job marketing/presenting it and are now feeling the results of that.

They did a god awful job of marketing it until PlayStation Experience back in December. The demo they brought to all the conventions was bad (see the video I linked in my first post about the game) and the trailers showed nothing. Starting with PSX though, people got hands on with a 40 minute chunk of the game and the trailers improved significantly. It got my interest back up and I'm totally on board with the IP as a whole. I don't want to say one of the big reasons why because it's a spoiler, but I think people will know when they see it.

Also: GAHD DAMN

cfxkgt.gif

If I ever pick up The Order, it will be a ways down the road.

In just March I'll be picking up Bloodborne, probably Borderlands: Handsome Edition and probably even Final Fantasy: Type 0. That's like $200 right there.

I'll probably have to hold off on one of those as well.

I've got Bloodborne pre-ordered from E3 last year. Probably going to double down on pre-orders when Future Shop brings that deal out again this year. Even if it only brings things down to the original MSRP, at the very least I won't pay $85 a game.

Edited by Sandro

I'm fucking late, but I just can't play Skyrim. I've started a new character and it's soo boring. I don't know if it will change at some point. There tons of loading screen and I don't seem to find the controls as "fluid" as I thought. I know everyone said that it was a very good game, but it just doesn't fit with me I guess. And the fact that there's no mini map is really bothering me.

Edited by boubabi

• Commissioner

I'm fucking late, but I just can't play Skyrim. I've started a new character and it's soo boring. I don't know if it will change at some point. There tons of loading screen and I don't seem to find the controls as "fluid" as I thought. I know everyone said that it was a very good game, but it just doesn't fit with me I guess. And the fact that there's no mini map is really bothering me.

Console or PC?

Loading times kill on the consoles, same with shitty controls. I found both to be great on my Mac though.

Edited by Beketov