Out of a job

iRockstar

Where did you read that?  That's really surprising to me if true.  One thing they do better than Wal-Mart for sure - they don't treat their employees like slaves.

I was told by someone. Surprising because for the position no schooling would be needed really

I was told by someone. Surprising because for the position no schooling would be needed really

Target in the states was my second job. Where everyone else was still only offering the 6.75 minimum wage, target offered me 8 an hour. One of my better job experiences til I got told I couldn't work in electronics cuz I was a girl.

Can't work electronics because you're a girl?  So they pay well (relatively speaking, for the US - I mean 8 bucks/hr is still really poor), but that's flat out sexism.  Not to mention if I was running a store I'd want a girl behind the tills to drive up sales for the gamer boys...

Target in the states was my second job. Where everyone else was still only offering the 6.75 minimum wage, target offered me 8 an hour. One of my better job experiences til I got told I couldn't work in electronics cuz I was a girl.

Huhwhat?

There are girls working in electronics at my Target so... That's weird.

Can't work electronics because you're a girl? So they pay well (relatively speaking, for the US - I mean 8 bucks/hr is still really poor), but that's flat out sexism. Not to mention if I was running a store I'd want a girl behind the tills to drive up sales for the gamer boys...

This was like 8 years ago. Nobody important told me that was why, the official reason was that I wasn't experienced enough, but my friend who worked in the department told me it was because they didn't think as a 17 year old girl I'd know enough.

Huhwhat?

There are girls working in electronics at my Target so... That's weird.

Yeah it was about 8 years ago when it was still a bit harder for females to get jobs at places like video game stores and such. I also applied to the EB games by my house and never got a call back (they hired a guy). They didn't hire their first female employee for another 3 years.

Yeah it was about 8 years ago when it was still a bit harder for females to get jobs at places like video game stores and such. I also applied to the EB games by my house and never got a call back (they hired a guy). They didn't hire their first female employee for another 3 years.

To be fair EB Games is borderline impossible to get a response from either way. Pretty sure they have a line up of 16 year olds dropping off résumés every day. It's weird to me that things used to go that way though, I'm pretty sure the two EB Games I frequent have more female employees than male now. Like, 70/30 split.

To be fair EB Games is borderline impossible to get a response from either way. Pretty sure they have a line up of 16 year olds dropping off résumés every day. It's weird to me that things used to go that way though, I'm pretty sure the two EB Games I frequent have more female employees than male now. Like, 70/30 split.

I meant to put in, they actually interviewed me. Granted i have no way of knowing whether it was a sexist thing but the way they spoke to me during the interview definitely made it feel like it was. And yeah exactly, when my local store first started hiring females it seemed to be around the time they started recognizing the guys might want to buy games from "gamer chicks" gimmick.

Nowadays it seems like there's girls at most electronics departments I go to in stores.

Hell, the EB Games where I live there's this girl there that knows a ton more than me about video games. At least the games we were talking about, she dove pretty deep into the Mass Effect lore and playing that trilogy at least 3 times over myself, I didn't remember half the shit she was talking about.

Then there's the girl at the Wal-Mart near me in the electronics department that barely speaks a word. All one word answers.

The one Target I went to around a month ago around here had a guy in that department, and he knew nothing about the current games. He literally told me he's never owned anything past a PS2, and he mostly still plays Super Nintendo. When I went there to buy Hyrule Warriors for Wii U, I asked him which is better: Hyrule Warriors or Pikmin 3. He told me he has no idea and the last Zelda he's played is A Link to the Past...which is SNES.

I meant to put in, they actually interviewed me. Granted i have no way of knowing whether it was a sexist thing but the way they spoke to me during the interview definitely made it feel like it was. And yeah exactly, when my local store first started hiring females it seemed to be around the time they started recognizing the guys might want to buy games from "gamer chicks" gimmick.

Ahhh yeah, that's different then.

Maybe it's the "gamer girls" gimmick but just about every female EB employee I've talked to puts 90% of the guys to shame in actual gaming knowledge. But hey, if they wanna go about hiring good looking girls who actually know videogames I'm not gonna complain.

Edited by Sandro

Ahhh yeah, that's different then.

Maybe it's the "gamer girls" gimmick but just about every female EB employee I've talked to puts 90% of the guys to shame in actual gaming knowledge. But hey, if they wanna go about hiring good looking girls who actually know videogames I'm not gonna complain.

see and that was what bothered me. When I got interviewed one of the guys told me I played more games than half the guys that worked there and was more knowledgeable, but then they told me that because j hadn't played on all the current gen consoles they couldn't hire me. Just smelled like bs.

see and that was what bothered me. When I got interviewed one of the guys told me I played more games than half the guys that worked there and was more knowledgeable, but then they told me that because j hadn't played on all the current gen consoles they couldn't hire me. Just smelled like bs.

That's... actually sort of legitimate...... Maybe. I totally understand that they would want someone who is completely up-to-date on what is going on in the industry (see DollarAndADream's post) but I didn't hear the words spoken myself, and the way the interview went obviously suggested other things to you.

That said, it's still completely possible to keep updated on things even if you don't have the consoles. The other thing that goes against EB/GameStop is they manage to hire some real ignorant people sometimes. So I dunno. Just sounds like you may have had the unfortunate circumstances of interviewing at one of the many shitty EB locations. They really are a mixed bag.

That's... actually sort of legitimate...... Maybe. I totally understand that they would want someone who is completely up-to-date on what is going on in the industry (see DollarAndADream's post) but I didn't hear the words spoken myself, and the way the interview went obviously suggested other things to you.

That said, it's still completely possible to keep updated on things even if you don't have the consoles. The other thing that goes against EB/GameStop is they manage to hire some real ignorant people sometimes. So I dunno. Just sounds like you may have had the unfortunate circumstances of interviewing at one of the many shitty EB locations. They really are a mixed bag.

Well see that's the thing. Its not that it wasn't a legitimate concern, its that they told me that I was more knowledgeable than several people that already worked there, but then told me I still wasn't knowledgeable enough. Maybe they were just putting some new rules into effect, but it still rubbed me the wrong way. That said, I've yet to meet any GameStop/EB games employee that owns all consoles, even to this day. Most people simply don't play all consoles or have enough money, so I think it was a dumb "requirement" for them to have.