Grade 12 programs

Kesler

Hey Man, just wanted to tell you, whatever you get into, it isn't the end all, be all. It is however, a wonderful fallback option. Currently, I am a 1st year service tech/plumbing apprentice. When I started I had no experience with anything, but now after 1 and a half years of job experience I not only have a path, but it has driven me to want more. I now plan to get a degree and try to run my own AC/Plumbing company, and if it doesn't work out I will have an excellent career waiting for me as long as I get my license. It really has done wonders for me, I recommend trade school to anyone who doesn't have a defined career path.

see kesler this guy knows what's up 

I didn't read any of the rest of this thread, but I know a good bunch of people that did Ace-It in high school and they said it was awesome.

I never did it myself, because I thought I was going in an academic direction but I ended up in a trade down the line. :(

I know more than a few girls who went through the hairstyling as well, and some of them are still doing it to this day. I have a friend I go to for hair cuts because even though she has a different job now she gives hair cuts on the side.

• Commissioner

I never did the Co-Op program in grade 12 (sounds like the same thing but with a different name) since they didn't have anything in media which I knew i wanted to get into.

However I do know a lot of people that took the course and enjoyed it. You basically get credits for learning what you're actually interested in instead of a bunch of bullshit you don't care about. Plus you get the added bonus that if the trades aren't for you, you realize it before you pay a bunch of money for trades school. Seems like a solid win-win to me.

Just don't let it get you down too much if you realize that it's not for you. High schools love to make it sound as if you need to know exactly what it is you want to do by the time you graduate but most people don't and don't need to. Get an idea of what you're interested in, try it out, and if it's not for you than move on. I know several guys I started university with that wound up graduating in completely different fields than they initially started in and there's nothing wrong with that.

I've heard mixed reviews about the high school tech programs. It may have just been our school district (note: from the US, so may not even be apples to apples here), but people who went into those fields really were just going to rely on those skills and those skills alone to live life with.

My GF's brother, on the other hand, went out and got a shit ton of certifications while he was in HS and it's been landing him some steady jobs while he works toward being an electrical engineer. He's still going to college, though.

Personally, I'd just take whatever suits you best, even if it's not what you think you want to go into. I saw tons of people who get to college and have no idea what they want to do because they didn't think about it beforehand, and it's good to get ahead, even if you take a course for this Ace-It thing and say, "Wow, I learned something, but I don't want to do this for the rest of my life." Those classes and whatever job prospects you get from those classes can motivate you to get a degree in something else so you aren't stuck in a job you hate.

Also, gorlab's right on the Journeymen thing. That holds tons of weight in industry. If you can, work toward that.

Hope some of this helps!