Der Meister's Writing (and YouTube!) Thread: Live from the Waiting Room!

der meister

34 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

yeah I have not looked at Shadowrun yet (which seems the most appealing to me). When I was younger I tried to establish a SR party but never found enough, reliable and nearby people to run it...

I'd love to play the actual RPG with people. I find the video games really engaging in terms of the writing and plot, and I adore the soundtracks

• 4 weeks later...

Decided that since my kid's book is designed for kids who loves the Magic Tree House series but have outgrown it, I would send a query to the agent who reps the author of that series. Rejected within 2 days, based solely on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, Scurvy said:

Keep plugging away pal.  It will happen

The kid's book feels the most mainstream marketable. But if I don't have an agent by the end of the year, I'm self publishing a novel next year. I wish there was a way to add a poll topic to a post within a thread, so I can present the two main self pub options and see what the VHL community has more interest in. 

A few quick PROGRAMMING NOTES as we are reaching the end of multiple games simultaneously. So once the current round is wrapped, we're looking at:

Sunday - Illusion of Gaia (SNES)

Monday - Magic Arena

Tuesday - 7 Days to Die

Wednesday - Dead Island

Thursday - 7 Days to Die

Friday - Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

Saturday - Random Showcase

• 1 month later...

Never heard back on my other queries. Publishing industry sucks. It doesn't help that the month of April was one of the hardest months for me in six and a half years of my current job. I'm absolutely exhausted from what I have to do and what I have to cover since we've been operating at 50% staffing and they moved me into management at the beginning of the year. 

That being said, a few days ago I had a brilliant and silly idea for a 7 Days to Die miniseries. Not sure if any of you here watch my 7 Days content, but either way I am really excited to do this at some point. Honestly, I'm just as excited to have something to look forward to with the way things have been going lately

• 3 weeks later...

So the first episode of the aforementioned 7 Days miniseries dropped on Tuesday and is currently well over 500 views. My episodes of this game are usually closer to 20 views. I don't understand YouTube, but if the algorithm wants to promote my content, then I'm not gonna complain. Gained 9 subs from it, as well.

• 2 months later...

I don't know if I'm going to do this or not, but hypothetically, would anyone be interested in being a beta reader on a novel at some point this year? Depending on the level of interest, it might be the whole thing or it might be a chunk (I'm curious how it reads if you read from, say, chapter 7 to 12). Obviously there's a huge element of trust involved with me sharing my stuff before it's published, which is part of the reason I'm undecided yet, but I would like to get a couple more sets of eyes on it before I try the traditional route again. 

I also haven't fully decided on this course of action, but at this point I'm thinking if I don't have representation for the book by next summer, I'm going to self publish it and hope for the best.

• 4 weeks later...

About 2 years ago I thought I had found a publisher for one of my novels, the first one I wrote, in fact. After some great conversations and back and forths, it was rejected. I took it hard. Like, hard hard. I've gone through rejections plenty of times, but this one felt different, maybe because they included a PDF that explained why they rejected it. A PDF I was too afraid to open. Being a professional writer has been my dream since I was 6 years old, and to have someone write up a document explaining why I was a failure was too daunting to consider.

It's 6:45 in the morning on a Saturday. I've been up for over an hour due to work stress. It's been really bad. Started seeing a therapist specifically for work reasons, and I'm breaking down in tears in every session, and sometimes outside of sessions. I'm 15 years into an IT career that I sort of fell back-asswards into. I don't hate it, but it's not something I really care about. It pays the bills reasonably well, and I'm not financially wanting for anything [aside from things like moving to Ireland and starting my life over].

I opened the PDF this morning, friends. It...wasn't as bad as I had feared, and I actually agree with some of the critiques. Ultimately, the reason they rejected it was the genre, which they described as Supernatural Thriller, versus what they wanted, Urban Fantasy. Personally, I see a lot of overlap between the two, but that's neither here nor there. 

I'm not going to rewrite the entire manuscript; it's already gone through 9 full rounds of edits over the years. But if I'm ever going to make a shot at living my dream, of making the most of what I consider my strongest talent, it (re)starts today. 

See you on the other side.

Also, YouTube schedule update.  

Sunday - Shining Force 2

Monday - Magic: the Gathering

Tuesday: Star Wars: KOTOR

Wednesday: Shadowrun Hong Kong (some of the best music I've ever heard)

Thursday: off day, at least for now

Friday: Fallout: New Vegas

Saturday: Random showcase game