Der Meister's Writing (and YouTube!) Thread: Live from the Waiting Room!

der meister

Thanks to those of you who subbed to my YT channel. It's nice feeling like I'm not totally shouting into the void. I have almost every video for the next 3 weeks already in the can and scheduled. Just need to work out some audio kinks that are preventing me from playing some of the stuff I have planned. 

Y'all are gonna get real sick of me talking about my new YT channel, but I just made a 6 second intro for my videos and both myself and my oldest are absolutely delighted with it. I'm not gonna re-upload everything to get it included, but it will be there at the end of the month and moving forward.

• 4 weeks later...

Still waiting on the agent - almost to the end of the response time period - but I have my first 100 view video, an episode of Crystalis that went up yesterday, and I'm almost to 30 subs. So that's cool. If you missed the link:

https://www.youtube.com/@AlexIsgAEming

• 2 weeks later...

Agent says my book is still under consideration for representation, so I keep cranking out YT content. I've got nearly 60 videos uploaded. The first run of games - Shadowrun, Papers Please, and Crystalis - are all complete IRL, and the second set - War for the Overworld, Binding of Isaac, Hades, Death Road to Canada, and A Link to the Past - is being uploaded for release in the coming weeks. If you haven't subbed and any of that stuff sounds good, please jump on soon so you don't miss anything!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a response today from the agent I've been waiting on for three and a half months. She rejected it. This being the agent who loved the concept and requested me expand it and resubmit. She rejected it without even requesting the full thing.

• 3 weeks later...

A few days ago I filtered out a list of about 1200 agents down to about 30 who actually represent kid literature. Need to further research to see who is a good fit.

In YouTube news, I'm up to 38 subs (thanks to those who are included in that number!) and next week I'll be adding 7 Days to Die on Thursdays, so I'll have new content going live almost every day of the week.

• 1 month later...

Couple things:

- going to spend some time this weekend getting queries ready. A few agents I'm interested in have open submission windows at the start of September.

- finally got into BlueSky, which is going to be my social media home for both writing and YouTube. @alexemerson.bsky.social is the handle.

- looking like I'm getting a promotion to Director soon, which I have very mixed feelings about. Hopefully doesn't impact my writing/gaming/VHLing at all

• 4 weeks later...

Waiting on agent stuff still. Shit is depressing. It's so hurry-up-and-wait.

On the flip side, I have a short that's over 10k views, my first video that has come even close. Next highest is just under 2k. The short, if you're not subbed to my channel yet for some ridiculous reason:

https://youtube.com/shorts/xwz_xa6ozqQ?feature=share

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2023 at 5:41 PM, der meister said:

If you haven't subbed to my channel yet, first of all, how dare you? Second of all, I'm closing in on 100. Third, I started Deus Ex Human Revolution today and it has such an amazing soundtrack 

I'll check out your latest Hades video later!  Already subbed 😎

• 4 weeks later...

Waiting on agent responses to queries is an absolutely soul-sucking activity. I was just peeking back at my query notes to see how long it's been since I last sent one out, thinking it's been probably 3 months and that means a likely non-response rejection; folks, it's been 6 weeks. 

• 1 month later...

Never heard back on the most recent queries. Lame. It's been a tough start to the year in the Meister household; my older child is turning 17 in March so there's a lot of activity with that, and college tours and whatnot. Still, need to send out EVEN MOAR queries.

On the YouTube front, thanks to those who helped me reach the 150 sub mark! If you missed it, my VHL holiday auction was won by Baozi, who picked Leisure Suit Larry. The video is live on my channel, just about an hour of hyper-phallic gameplay. It's a surprisingly fun adventure game, though.

Finally, if anyone is at all interested in designing me a better YT logo, give me a shout in my messages. I've been thinking the AE thing is cool but could be much better, and y'all are the best graphics people I know 

• 2 weeks later...

Three queries out on the children's book. I decided the other day that if I don't have an agent by the end of the year that I'm going to self-publish at least one of my books. I figured I can do that and then buy a few copies to sell at the local convention, possibly at some local bookstores.

On a mildly disheartening note, for some reason I have lost three subscribers this week on my YouTube channel and am back below the 150 mark. It's a little frustrating, but I do realize this sort of thing has a lot of ups and downs. All I can do is keep producing content and hope that people enjoy it.

Edited by der meister

9 hours ago, der meister said:

Three queries out on the children's book. I decided the other day that if I don't have an agent by the end of the year that I'm going to self-publish at least one of my books. I figured I can do that and then buy a few copies to sell at the local convention, possibly at some local bookstores.

On a mildly disheartening note, for some reason I have lost three subscribers this week on my YouTube channel and am back below the 150 mark. It's a little frustrating, but I do realize this sort of thing has a lot of ups and downs. All I can do is keep producing content and hope that people enjoy it.

Bring more Larry content ;)

2 hours ago, Daniel Janser said:

Bring more Larry content ;)

It's funny you mention that. I'm almost done with Shadowrun, Deus Ex, and Landstalker. I'm guessing I have 2-3 episodes of recording left for each. I thought I'd put Donkey Kong Country in one slot, Larry in another slot, and maybe Illusion of Gaia in the third. But I also have a few Indie games to check out, so there might be a little longer gap for Larry.

1 hour ago, der meister said:

It's funny you mention that. I'm almost done with Shadowrun, Deus Ex, and Landstalker. I'm guessing I have 2-3 episodes of recording left for each. I thought I'd put Donkey Kong Country in one slot, Larry in another slot, and maybe Illusion of Gaia in the third. But I also have a few Indie games to check out, so there might be a little longer gap for Larry.

yeah I have not looked at Shadowrun yet (which seems the most appealing to me). When I was younger I tried to establish a SR party but never found enough, reliable and nearby people to run it...