Der Meister's Writing (and YouTube!) Thread: Live from the Waiting Room!

der meister

Still waiting on agent replies from queries sent in August. This is a painfully slow business.

My current project is a little over 11k words. It's a fantasy heist, and will almost certainly be the longest thing I've written so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • der meister changed the title to Der Meister's Writing Thread - Ghosted by an Agent, Hiding from the World
22 minutes ago, JardyB10 said:

48a6bfbc0e0e9ef65fe5a365ecb6e1b1.jpg

That sucks though, so what’s the next step?

Undecided. Could scour MSWL and see if I find any other agents who seem like a good fit for the project. Could self-publish, but marketing is hard as hell. I am still well under 100 views for the free short story I have on Simily. 

I'm considering self-publishing one of the 3 novels I've written so far. If I did, it would likely be between $9.99 and $12.99, depending on where it gets published. The one I have in mind is a modern fantasy, about a living woman trapped in the world of the dead.

If I did self-publish, would anyone here buy it? I'd have to do some digging on preorder systems and things like that.

• 4 weeks later...

Starting Wednesday off with an email from an agent:

I find the premise and setting of THE NIGHTRUNNER intriguing, and there is much to recommend about the story. However, I wouldn't be the right agent for this project. For this reason, I am passing and stepping aside.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A brief update on this project from the charity event:

Spoke to my coworker this past week about the cover idea I want to build. He's infinitely more talented at digital art and manipulation, and said he'd be willing to work on the cover, though he cautioned me that he is "slow". 

9 hours ago, der meister said:

A brief update on this project from the charity event:

Spoke to my coworker this past week about the cover idea I want to build. He's infinitely more talented at digital art and manipulation, and said he'd be willing to work on the cover, though he cautioned me that he is "slow". 

a lot of talented designers here as well that could try their hand

Starting RIGHT NOW through 2-27!

A portion of the sales of my latest short story, -7, will be donated to The Trevor Project, an organization that works to prevent suicide in LGBTQ+ youths. It's a small thing I'm trying to do to make a positive impact on the world, which seems to be just absolutely batshit insanely on fire right now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09T9G5ZJD

• 2 months later...

So I haven't written much the past few months. It's been chaotic at work [we're operating at about 70% staffing], and the world is kind of on fire and stuff, so writing doesn't feel very important, compared to surviving. 

That said, I did just send out a query tonight based on an agent liking my pitch during an event on Twitter. So who knows. 

Hope all of you who have been following this thread for 3 years are doing well. HOPEFULLY I can update it with some relevant content in the coming weeks.