Claimed:The All-Time Minot First Line [Final 6/6]

large_logo.png

Entering Season 43, the Minot Gladiators will be no more. It may be a shame, but it’s not exactly a surprise. One of the more commonly-ridiculed VHLM teams, the Gladiators have not won a Founder’s Cup since Season 19, the longest active losing streak among VHLM franchises. And with Brampton the presumptive North American Conference favorite in Season 42, the Fightin’ North Dakotans may ride away into that sweet sunset without a recent title.

But it’s not all bad in Minot. In fact, there have been some great times for the Gladiators, and many former Minot stars have become legends in their own right in the VHL. This is not a time for sadness; this is a time for happiness. And with that in mind, let’s look back at the all-time first line for 42 seasons of Gladiators hockey. I’m taking some liberties with positions, some don’t jump down my throat. (And also, the underlines are links to player pages!)

The All-Time Minot First Line

8RPPVOE.png

Center: Frank Ricard (S14-S17)

Awards: S15 Minot championship, S15 Sakic Trophy, S15 Dionne Trophy, S15 Yzerman Trophy

Many VHL fans may remember Ricard as a second round flame-out for the Calgary Wranglers, but for Minot fans, he remains one of the most memorable players in franchise history. Seeing as how he got close the VHLM TPE cap, but never exceeded it, Ricard spent four seasons in Minot with varying success. His peak had to be Season 15, when he led Minot to the second of its three franchise championships. With 81 goals and 104 assists, he won what is (unbelievably) the most recent Sakic Trophy for the Minot franchise.

8RPPVOE.png

Winger: David Knight (S10)

Awards: S10 Minot championship, S10 Sakic Trophy, S10 Oates Trophy

David Night is a Hall of Famer. David Henman is a Hall of Famer. And in between, for the Knight agency, was this guy, who seemingly nobody wants to remember, even his own agent. However, following two thoroughly forgettable seasons with the Calgary Wranglers in S8 and S9, Knight was demoted to Minot in S10. That’s where he showed what he could truly do. With 70 goals and 157 points, Knight won the franchise’s second of three Sakic Trophies (S3 Alec Miller was the first), and his 87 assists were good enough to lead the league, giving him the league lead in that category as well. Plus, of course, the team won its first ever Founder’s Cup. Naturally, Knight retired after the season to make way for Henman, but Minot fans will always wonder what could have been.

8RPPVOE.png

Winger: Vogon Jeltz (S42)

Awards: None... yet.

Why am I including a player who hasn’t even finished the season yet on this list? One look at the stats should paint a decent picture. With 126 goals through 66 games, Jeltz is already seventh all-time on the single-season goals list, and it’s entirely conceivable he will pass fourth (Tyrone Williams – 135) by season’s end, giving him the most goals in a VHLM season since S24. He's also first in single-season goals in Minot history already. Jeltz has provided the offensive firepower that has largely escaped Minot in recent seasons, and it’s likely that Minot fans will remember him as the last great star of the franchise.

8RPPVOE.png

Defenseman: Till Lindemann (S31)

Awards: Bourque Trophy (S31), Oates Trophy (S31)

The Minot franchise hasn’t had much to get excited about in recent seasons, but the three-year playoff streak between S29 and S31 stands out as one of the highlights. Syracuse’s Finals run in S30 may be the most profitable year, but the most talented single season belongs to defenseman Till Lindemann in S31. In the first season after the franchise moved back to North Dakota, Lindemann was an all-around force, leading all players in assists (107) and hits (359) while finishing third in shots blocked (147).

8RPPVOE.png

Defenseman: Giddy McFly (S7)

Awards: Bourque Trophy (S7), Oates Trophy (S7)

Even though Minot did not win its first championship until Season 10, the early years of the franchise are still chocked full of memorable players. Take, for instance, Giddy McFly. Although he was later turned into an unremarkable winger in the pros, McFly thrived as a defenseman in the VHLM, winning the franchise’s second Bourque Trophy and second Oates Trophy, while being the first (and only until Lindemann) to do both in the same season. His +62 plus/minus was also a record high for defensemen at the time.

8RPPVOE.png

Goalie: Mattias Backlund (S22-24)

Awards: Sawchuk Trophy (S22)

Mattias Backlund is somewhat of a VHLM goaltending legend in his own right, as he is one of only three goalies (Pavle Buric, Gunnar Skovsgard) to have won multiple Sawchuks. But while his S21 victory in Ottawa may have saw him finish with a better record, his Season 22 in Minot was his finest masterpiece. Backlund’s .911 save percentage registered .018 higher than his closest competitor, and he held six shutouts in a season when not even a single other goalie had more than one. However, Minot inconceivably did not stick with Backlund going forward; he lost his starting job to Carlos Vasquez in S23 and Alexsander Osiak in S24 while still on the roster.

gwinnett_gladiators_2004.gif

Minot will miss its Gladiators, but they will live forever in our hearts.

Edited by CowboyinAmerica

No Wingate either. It'll be fun that, by the time I reach the VHL, both VHLM franchises my rookie goalie has played for will no longer exist.

And apparently this is Post 1,000. I don't really do post parties, but here's a corgi

tumblr_llcscwd1jK1qkodk4o1_500.jpg

Edited by CowboyinAmerica

No Wingate either. It'll be fun that, by the time I reach the VHL, both VHLM franchises my rookie goalie has played for will no longer exist.

And apparently this is Post 1,000. I don't really do post parties, but here's a corgi

That's funny you played for teams that won't exist