Who's Still Active? (cup-winning teams S1-S19)

Victor

• Admin

Doing some work for the Calgary team PT and providing advice or info for a bunch of others, I decided to look at how many members are still around from the Continental Cups before S20 (i.e. before the introduction of the vhlsim.net domain). The research was as eye-opening as it was depressing.

S1 Vasteras IK

Members remaining: 1 (Smarch)

Although it is never quite clear to me how Tommy Brown ended up on Vasteras, here he was, winning the first of three straight cups long before Conner Low was even born.

Other notables include scotty and Quik, last seen around Season 35 (Quik won the cup in S36).

S2 + S3 Calgary Wranglers

4 (sterling, Smarch, Kendrick, Beketov)

Having upset the 69-3 Wranglers, Tommy jumped ship and joined good friend Sterling Labatte in Calgary where they upset Vasteras. The following season, Joey Kendrick rounded off a superb defensive cast and Robert Sharpe was in goal.

HM: Brett Slobodzian. Slobo was one of the longest-serving S1 members, last seen with Vojczek Svoboda in S39.

S4 + S5 Seattle Bears

No one left :/

Shocking. Scotty, McNeil, Cowboy, Kloepfer, just a few once indispensable members now long gone. Cowboy, granted was last seen last season as Vikings prospect Valentin Taneyev. Dustin Funk, meanwhile, last IMed me about a week ago and gave hope of a return some day soon. It's the hope that kills you.

S6 Helsinki Titans

:/

More scotty, Quik, and Cowboy sightings. Add Zero to the list of once very prominent members.

S7 Avangard Havoc

2 (Sandro, Fong)

Halle-lujah! We have NHL discussion resident (since Kjellberg's S39 retirement) Sandro and ageless Asian wonder Fong, soon moving on to his sixth player (just one Hall of Famer so far though, step it up).

S8 Calgary Wranglers

3 (sterling, Smarch, Knight)

Reverting to form with more Sterling Labatte, Smarch's now third player Max Weinstein in goal, and inactive David Knight (barely active now). Other notables include the infamous Robbie Zimmers, Devon Marlow-Marta, and future Davos GM Miroslav Ladic.

S9 Toronto Legion

2 (Mike, Kachur)

Brooks, Gegeny, Quik, Marshall (Walser). Where have you gone?

But Mike Szatkowski Sr. and the original Alex Kachur make a much needed appearance.

S10 Riga Reign

2 (Kendrick, Fong)

Still Fong's first-gen while Kendrick moved on to Torsten Schwarz. Slobo also featured on this team as did Zach Manship, a prominent member of the NY shortbus, and both Funk brothers (last active circa S34).

S11 HC Davos Dynamo

No one

Well then. Didn't actually see that coming. Usual suspects Scotty and Cowboy gone, as is Zach Arce, whose last player was journeyman goalie David Poulin, false hope of both expansion teams.

S12 Seattle Bears

4 (Beketov, Tyler, Sandro, Ball)

A more positive surprise here! Beketov wins as Beketov, Tyler, later known as Evans (twice), Bjorkman, and now Denis gets his first, as does first-gen Sebastian Ball. Sandro gets one for his second-gen.

Goalie Steve LaFramboise, former single-season GAA and shutouts record holder, was last known round these parts as inactive FA Steve Tremblay.

S13 HC Davos Dynamo

1 (Streetlight)

Was about to cry but then remembered, Fayt Leingod, that's Streetlight's first-gen in his rookie season!

S14 New York Americans

3 (sterling, Smarch, Victor)

The usual suspects now on Grimm Jonsson and Baron Von Jonsson and my own first-gen goalie. Complemented by Arce, Dustin Funk (Zak Rawlyk), Devon, plus DGFX. and Nilstorm who popped in to say hi fairly recently.

S15 Helsinki Titans

2 (edgar, Fong)

Fong's won a lot, Edgar less so, but here he was with a forgettable first-gen defenceman leading the blue-line with Ginzou Fujiwara.

Dishonourable mention to Kyle, who was an inactive goalie then and an inactive goalie now.

S16 Riga Reign

1 (Hickey)

Just... hanging... on. Oh and almost 8O8 (Godavari) but he's pretty much gone now.

S17 Seattle Bears

7 (sterling, Smarch, Greg, Beketov, edgar, Streetlight, Sandro)

Considerably more than I expected. Most of the team and Slobo was on this great roster too. Also, Greg's first cup. Damn, this makes me jealous because...

S18 + S19 Calgary Wranglers

2 (Victor, Jardy)

What inspired me to write this long 590. Come back Matt and Quik and Zero. :(

S15 Helsinki Titans

(edgar, Fong)

S17 Seattle Bears

(sterling, Smarch, Greg, Beketov, edgar, Streetlight, Sandro)

Still active?  I think you're being a little generous with your words