Claimed:Advantage's Trade Review - Edition #5 [Final 6/6]

Advantage

Advantage's Trade Review - Edition #5

suit-clip-art.jpg

Normally I dedicate my media spot series to multiple trades but over about a two season period I really only made one significant deal.  In Season Thirty-Six, I made a trade that I still believe is the most important transaction to the success that New York has had over the last decade of seasons.  It is certainly linked with a bit of controversy and I’ll try to remember all of it as I explain what went down between Davos’ GM Victor Alfredsson and myself when we discussed a certain booming player.

Season 36 off-season Trade -> NYA/DAV

To Yp5RCrq.png
(S33) RW - Odin Tordahl

To FrRpAcc.png
S38 NYA 1st Round Pick (Don Draper)

The Davos Dynamo were the new Continental Cup Champions and they had a lot of great players including the recent Boulet Trophy winner, Odin Tordahl.  The high-powered offensive player was also a very physical player that managed to shut down opposing wingers along with being incredibly productive.  The New York Americans, on the other hand, had just missed the playoffs narrowly but have some really bright young players that were ready to help the team start competing in a few seasons.  However, I had a plan set to start competing the next year but knew I would have to pay the price to do so.

From what I can remember, despite recently winning the Continental Cup, Boom had an interest in leaving the team.  Specifically, he had come to me and told me he wanted to be a New York American.  Obviously, I could have waited for Free Agency, but he wanted to do it by trade so I started to discuss the happenings with Victor.  He was certainly not pleased and right off the bat, the asking price was way too steep for me.  Boom, who had been told about the offers, was not pleased and eventually Victor and I started to center around a 1st round pick for Tordahl.  While this wasn’t really equal to Odin’s value in theory, Davos needed to get something out of trading him, and while I could have been a dick and waited but I decided to not be a massive douche.  I mean, Victor was the commish after all!

In the end we settled on a 1st in S38 for Tordahl and the deal was complete.  That first would be later traded by Davos in a deal to acquire Naomi Young, and Helsinki would certainly clean up by selecting Don Draper with the third overall pick in Season Thirty-Eight.  Draper would help solidify a great Helsinki group while Davos got their veteran elite talent by using the first rounder.  Odin Tordahl would go on to lead the league in points several times and win the MVP and a Continental Cup in the process.  His tenure with the New York Americans would solidify him as one of the best players in franchise history, if not in league history.  I guess you could say this was a win-win as both players in the trade had pretty excellent value and when it comes to reflection time for myself, I certainly can’t regret this move as we had the pieces to move the first and needed a veteran elite player to help carry the young guys.

Content: 3/3 - Ah, Tordahl. He was the biggest superstar in the league when I first joined here. While I knew basically nothing about the VHL when I started here, I clearly knew who the best player was, and that was Odin Tordahl.

Grammar: 2/2 - Perfectomundo.

Appearance: 1/1 - Guda.

Overall: 6/6