Future of the VHFL

scoop

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don't just vote; discuss. The discussion is more important than the vote tallies.

This season, the VHFL allowed weekly roster changes. Due to the late start to getting things underway and the assumption that this change would be met with positivity, there wasn't time enough to properly gather opinions and decide how to go about running the VHFL.

After a season of running it this way I'm not sure the change is one that needed to be made. While I don't mind the extra work, if people don't care about it then we will just revert back to how it was in the past; that is, everyone makes their roster before the season starts, and that's what they're stuck with for the season. Personally, I still much prefer this way and I think it makes a lot more sense, but I'm going to leave it up to everyone to make a decision.

I don't want to do a variation of allowing people to change rosters where it's limited, or changes can't be made after Week X. Limiting the changes in terms of a "swap one player per week" is bad because it doesn't allow you to change the makeup of your team where maybe you had an expensive goalie but you wanted to change that to a cheap goalie and upgrade elsewhere. And making it so you can only make a change in let's say two different weeks adds to the work I have to do in keeping track of who has made changes and I just don't feel like doing that even though it would be a miniscule amount of work.

These are the options. Vote. Discuss.

Edited by Streetlight

I think the swapping is nice, despite not having done it. Just didnt have the time for it, but it could be rewarding those that put extra effort in it.

Did the people at the top change rosters around?

I think the swapping is nice, despite not having done it. Just didnt have the time for it, but it could be rewarding those that put extra effort in it.

Did the people at the top change rosters around?

Draper didn't change at all. I changed mine every week. I'll take a look back to see who else changed their rosters.

For me personally, I will point out that I was 12th after the first week. I've been in the top four every week after and it's looking like I'll win a second consecutive week. There is definitely benefit to be had for those who put in the effort as I have.

I don't have a problem if you're willing to put in the work, why not? But I highly doubt it's sustainable if you personally are tired of the job/go inactive for a spell.

Why not? I don't know. That's what I'd like people like NUCK, boom, and Jamie to comment on.

I think it takes more skill to pick a good team from the beginning and stick with it rather than just pick players every week after seeing who is on a hot streak. 

I actually accumulated the data for how a team would have done if they simply picked the six best players from the previous week. I even gave them the best possible first week roster.

They got rekt.

Okay, so not "rekt" but they definitely weren't winning. I don't remember where I had the data or maybe I didn't save it, but it was not optimal to simply pick who was doing well. Yes, with regards to Pablo Escabar, Draper knowing that he would be the one to get a fuckton of shots blocked took a whole lot of skill I suppose, allowing him to crush week one and have it carry him to victory.

Okay, so I lied. They actually would've been winning by a couple points. But that was with the optimal Week 1 roster, but if we just give them the average score instead, they would be in 8th place entering Week 5.

But yes, seeing who is playing well and considering them for your roster is going to be beneficial. That's kind of the point of fantasy leagues.

Edited by Streetlight

• Admin

A couple thoughts I had:

1. Limit to one player swap per week? Actually I don't like that after writing it.

More importantly:

2. Set player salaries not off real contracts but off last season's results. SO like 90th percentile is 5mil, or something, etc. Doesn't rely on people handing out bonuses and means you can predict who will improve and get them for cheap in the season before they do.

More importantly:

2. Set player salaries not off real contracts but off last season's results. SO like 90th percentile is 5mil, or something, etc. Doesn't rely on people handing out bonuses and means you can predict who will improve and get them for cheap in the season before they do.

I suppose that is an option. How would you propose rookies be dealt with?

I never changed my team - as I like the concept of sticking to your guns and seeing how it turns out - just like we do with yearly predictions, however, those that want to put in the effort every week of changing their team - go for it.

However I don't think that after the trade deadline, people should be able to change them. But that's just my opinion and I'll reply to myself and save streetlight the trouble:

TabDSkG.gif

• Head Moderator

I did not know you could swap rosters. But then again i haven't paid much attention to it since I don't like pools in general.

Edited by tfong

I did not know you could swap rosters. But then again i haven't paid much attention to it since I don't like pools in general.

See, I'd almost rather make it more like a weekly task with a smaller bonus for the season's top performers. I feel like that would make it more rewarding for the people put in the effort to get more involved, and might also serve as a reminder to people that you can adjust your roster.