Cologne Etches Name Behind Modern Dynasties

Devise

With their big game seven win over the Stockholm Vikings the Cologne Express have etched their name just below the most recent modern dynasties in the VHL. Those dynasties are of course the Davos Dynamo and the New York Americans. 

Since Season 35 when the Quebec City Muete won their first ever Cup, the VHL playoffs has been consistently dominated by one team over the span of their era. While New York went for it in Season 42, their era was arguably dwindling by that point.

Both the Americans and the Dynamo share 2 cups within a 3 year window, and 3 straight final appearances in their modern day dynasty runs. While neither club was able to repeat as Champion, both enjoyed a quick bounce back dominant season to reclaim the title the year after. Cologne arguably had the best shot of any modern team to repeat last season when it all came crumbling down to the Cinderella story that was the Seattle Bears.

But with their win over Stockholm Cologne sits just behind this elite company with 3 straight finals appearances. However in order to join the Americans and the Dynamo as a modern day dynasty Cologne will have to accomplish the same feat New York and Davos did, and beat Calgary for their second Continental Cup in 3 seasons.

That will not be an easy task. The upstart Wranglers decided to trade to push themselves in competition instead of wait any longer for their prospects to grow. A decision some thought was rushed, but when they ousted the Muete, a team with some good star power the Wranglers proved they were the real deal. However Cologne isn't Quebec. Unlike Quebec Cologne manged to ice a full roster this year. So the depth advantage Calgary had over Quebec will be a lessened blow against Cologne.

Furthermore, stopping star power forwards like Wolf and Thomassen while difficult, isn't the same as stopping the top two leading forwards. Thomas O'Malley has officially stamped himself over the past two seasons as the best forward in the league. Fellow center and often linemate Bismark Koenig has been chasing right behind him. If Calgary is going to get a Continental Cup this early into their run neutralizing those two big names is the number one priority.

Regular season results show the two teams at basically even. Both teams had 3 regulation wins, with a win coming to each side after regulation, one via shootout, one in overtime. Each team scored 19 goals against each other. So the questions remain. Can Calgary get an early start on their own attempt at a dynasty in the VHL? Or can Cologne complete their trip and join New York and Davos in modern day dynasty territory? 

I don't think making the finals quite counts as a dynasty.

I don't think reading the article is the same as reading the title and missing exactly where I stated they weren't a dynasty yet. But hey thanks for the post. :P 

Back in my day, consecutive cup wins made you a dynasty.

None of this "2 in 3", "5 in 16" bullcrap you sissypants fucks have today.

Get off my lawn.

"Modern day dynasty". It's a great term, it means we fucking suck compared to the previous generations. We can't win back to back despite like a shit ton of attempts in the last 15 seasons. 

So no, we can't get off your lawn, we are off it and constantly pointing the poster of your lawn as a dream that we may one day reach. 

"Modern day dynasty". It's a great term, it means we fucking suck compared to the previous generations. We can't win back to back despite like a shit ton of attempts in the last 15 seasons. 

So no, we can't get off your lawn, we are off it and constantly pointing the poster of your lawn as a dream that we may one day reach. 

It doesn't mean we suck, it means parity is greater. The league is better now than what it was back then.

But you know that.

Edited by Streetlight

I don't want to hear excuses. I want to hear solutions.

"We can't do it" isn't good enough