VHL Magazine Power Poll - Quebec's Wylde move

Toast

VHL Magazine Power Poll  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In a surprise move (to those not in the loop apparently), the Quebec City Meute traded star defenseman Jack Wylde to the Calgary Wranglers in return for a S47 2nd.

Wylde had just recently re-signed a one-year deal with Quebec after flirting with free agency, but with so many VHL teams sitting against the cap, there was no room for Wylde on any of the teams looking to make a push for the playoffs. Hence why a trade had to happen after Game 40 for some of the cap hit from Wylde to stay with Quebec.

For this week's Power Poll, the question is simple: do you believe Quebec got an appropriate return for arguably the best defender in the league?

A S47 2nd is going to take quite a few seasons to pan out to see if it was worth the deal, but then again if there was nothing else on the table being offered, then there wasn't much GM Brovy could do here.

It's expected that a similar will go down soon to see Bruno Wolf also traded from Quebec, but that makes some believe that Quebec could have gotten a better deal by packaging the two players to one team instead of two separate deals despite what GM Brovy has loudly declared to the media since the trade.

So what do you think? Make sure to comment with your vote!

I think I'm going to have to ruin your poll Toast. Wylde wanted to sign with us during the offseason, and I told him it would be better for him to join after game 40 for cap purposes. He signed with Quebec with an NTC, and would have refused to be traded to any team other than Quebec. Me and Kesler negotiated the trade before the signing, as Wylde chose to re-sign with Quebec so they at least got something in return for him. 

• Commissioner

Under normal circumstances, it would seem a no brainer that Wylde is worth more than a 2nd round pick.

However, given the circumstances with Calgary I'm going to say that Kesler got the best he could out of the situation. Cap hell aside Wylde would have gone to Calgary in free agency, leaving Quebec with nothing. However for cap purposes he re-signed and was dealt slightly later. Sure, his value is higher than a 2nd round pick but is it not better to get that than nothing at all?