Attribute Depreciation

jRuutu

Hey hey

I have managed to enter the stage of my glorious career that I need to work extra hard to keep up with the younger players.I think attribute depreciation is what they call it. Basically I woke up and felt like a old guy. 

I got a small complaint/suggestion to make: 

Would be nice if the information about things like this is available in some other location, I have pretty much 0 reason to ever visit:

Player management - free agents, retired players, update threads section. Touch me

I found that thread by using google and that was after Kendrick hurt my feelings and informed me that I´m getting old and attribute depreciation is a real thing now.

I could of course ask about the whole thing from someone, but I did not have any idea I need to look out for something like that now already. This is my first player ever in any sim league that is getting this far on his career so I don´t have the experience about things like this. It might look like I know what I´m doing, it´s not true, most of the time I have no idea.  

So even though this is mostly me being lazy and not spending too much time looking for information, the information about attribute depreciation is not too easy to find. Same goes with the banking of TPE. Should I have been banking points? for how long? Some tips and tricks like this would be nice to have written down somewhere where someone like me can easily find them,

Thanks and sorry ;)

• Commissioner

You don't NEED to bank TPE but it definitely helps, especially in later seasons when it starts to hit you harder. It's not too bad in the first year of depreciation luckily.

Generally speaking, bank as much as you want. I usually calculate out how much TPE I'm going to lose to depreciation based on how much TPE I expect to have entering the season and then make sure to bank at least that much over the course of the year.

5 minutes ago, Beketov said:

You don't NEED to bank TPE but it definitely helps, especially in later seasons when it starts to hit you harder. It's not too bad in the first year of depreciation luckily.

Generally speaking, bank as much as you want. I usually calculate out how much TPE I'm going to lose to depreciation based on how much TPE I expect to have entering the season and then make sure to bank at least that much over the course of the year.

Thanks!  Post like this would be excellent in Tip´s and Tricks of VHL section ;)

Here is a tip: Decide on which attributes you want to remain high and which you don't care about and bank the TPE needed for the percentage that will come off. Then keep going to help out over time.

I hope I didn't hurt your feelings too much by telling you about depreciation. I went through it with Richardson and it sucked but was also a blessing.

29 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Here is a tip: Decide on which attributes you want to remain high and which you don't care about and bank the TPE needed for the percentage that will come off. Then keep going to help out over time.

I hope I didn't hurt your feelings too much by telling you about depreciation. I went through it with Richardson and it sucked but was also a blessing.

Thanks!

You did not hurt my feelings too badly, getting old sucks, I will get over it, some day ;_; 

Before Parechkin that I have now was my first player Travis Boychuk. I always heard about depreciation but basically just ignored it until it hit me.

It wasn't that bad. For me at least, I never really banked much at all. I would get hit in the off-season and be a little lesser of a player, but throughout the season I would have earned most of, if not all of that TPE back by the time playoffs hit. As long as I was back to being my best in the playoffs, I didn't care much for depreciation.

I agree with you on the depreciation thread though. I had no idea that thread was there since people told me to go look at it. I figured it would be in the help threads for new members, but it wasn't I don't think. It should be located in there somewhere and there should be some tips/tricks for it. :)

1 hour ago, DollarAndADream said:

Before Parechkin that I have now was my first player Travis Boychuk. I always heard about depreciation but basically just ignored it until it hit me.

It wasn't that bad. For me at least, I never really banked much at all. I would get hit in the off-season and be a little lesser of a player, but throughout the season I would have earned most of, if not all of that TPE back by the time playoffs hit. As long as I was back to being my best in the playoffs, I didn't care much for depreciation.

I agree with you on the depreciation thread though. I had no idea that thread was there since people told me to go look at it. I figured it would be in the help threads for new members, but it wasn't I don't think. It should be located in there somewhere and there should be some tips/tricks for it. :)

I´m going to do pretty much that, just try to get all the TPE back and perhaps throw some into the bank for next season ;) 

I rarely see depreciation mentioned anywhere, might be just me not seeing it being mentioned, but moving the thread would be helpful for sure! 

7 hours ago, Victor said:

Just cherish those game winning goals from last season before the dementia hits.

Just wait that my body starts to break down, going to install titanium parts and play until I´m 50 :o 

• Admin
2 hours ago, jRuutu said:

Just wait that my body starts to break down, going to install titanium parts and play until I´m 50 :o 

Jagr's way ahead of you.

Interesting that some of you expected it in the new member guide. I would be hesitant putting it there because when you join do you really care what happens in 6 seasons time?

2 hours ago, Victor said:

Jagr's way ahead of you.

Interesting that some of you expected it in the new member guide. I would be hesitant putting it there because when you join do you really care what happens in 6 seasons time?

:P Jagr is a god.

Well it could be in a different section? right next to new member guide?  

Yeah, depreciation is a bitch in terms of lost tpe & having to do it (even though draper does all of it really :applaud::applaud::applaud: )

imo GM's should be basically walking you through it, or telling you to bank in prep for depreciation. Mine did. 

1 hour ago, gorlab said:

Yeah, depreciation is a bitch in terms of lost tpe & having to do it (even though draper does all of it really :applaud::applaud::applaud: )

imo GM's should be basically walking you through it, or telling you to bank in prep for depreciation. Mine did. 

I guess my good looks and professionalism fooled everybody in NY into thinking I know what I´m doing :P 

Good thing is that I now know about more about depreciation than previously. Kendrick roasting me is not a fun way to find out though ;_;