Claimed:Draft Lottery History: Past 10 Seasons [Reviewed]

Kendrick

OB-CI653_draft__H_20080915185922.jpg

The VHL Draft Lottery is more exciting than any other Draft Lottery in professional sports. It can change the landscape of your team and impact it's future more than any other league because of he sheer limited amount of top end talent year after year. The Lottery has given some teams a much needed boost, some teams even more firepower and unfortunately given other teams a deflated liferaft in hurricane of a situation. With the Draft Lottery taking place on May 1st, 2016; we thought we'd take a look at the past 10 seasons of Draft Lotteries and give you this year hopefuls past 10 first round draft picks. This will shed some light on the draft ability of some of the General Managers.

tSI9DqU.png

Riga will have a shot at this years first overall selection come Sunday. This is their history with first round selections over the past ten seasons in the VHL Entry Draft.

S47: Vincent Virtanen (6th Overall) - Left Wing

S46: Jordan Maverick (6th Overall) - Left Wing

S44: Simon Valmount (4th Overall) - Right Wing

S44: Le'Sean Coutzen (5th Overall) - Center

S43: Bronson Faux (2nd Overall) - Center

S43: MC Hammer (7th Overall) - Defenseman

In the past ten seasons the Riga Reign have only stepped up to the podium in the first round in only four years. That may something to the success in getting to the postseason, but also keep in mind we are talking the entire first round; not just the lottery selections. One thing that may actually come into play here is the fact that Riga players have been extremely loyal, but it might actually be a negative this time around. The fact that some players have chosen to stay their entire careers with the Reign meant they miss out on acquiring top end picks. Not to mention that only three of their six selections have gone onto respectable VHL careers (one mostly outside Riga), it is a recipe for always being the bridesmaid. Riga will have a shot at a good prospect this year regardless of where in the top four selections they are drawn too.

YTzfe5K.png

Calgary will obviously also have a shot at the first overall selection in this years VHL Entry Draft. Their lottery history isn't that bad so let's take a look at their past first round selections.

S44: Kerkko Hyvarinen (2nd Overall) - Defenseman

S43: Hans Wingate (3rd Overall) - Goaltender

S43: Michael Clardy (9th Overall) - Defenseman

S39: Koji Yamazaki (2nd Overall) - Defenseman

S39: Lukas Nyqvist (9th Overall) - Defenseman

The past ten seasons haven't been kind in regards to number of selections the Wranglers have made in the first round, but that is a good thing. Usually when you don't select that many times it means you are a successful franchise and make the postseason every year. Well as much as that is true for a better part of the last decade, it actually is also untrue. The Wranglers have drafted in the first round only three times in the past ten seasons and only have 1 Continental Cup to show for it. Hans Wingate was a huge prospect they drafted but he did bolt for other teams in the back half of his soon to be closed career. Nyqvist, Yamazaki and Clardy were pretty much busts when it came to the value Calgary got from their abilities. Kerkko Hyvarinen could be considered a bust as well considering his high draft position. Calgary either needs to do the draft right or actually commit themselves to a cup run. Maybe another case of loyalty hurting a team as well, considering the people who have been involved with Riga and Calgary.

IhclZ49.png

Quebec City has another shot at the first overall selection in this years draft. They have been in that position before and it hasn't led to many successful seasons so it remains to be seen if the management team is just holding this team back. Here is the Meute's past history in regards to draft selections.

S48: Unassisted (2nd Overall) - Center

S48: Dmitri Dadonov (6th Overall) - Goaltender

S47: John Sleeman (1st Overall) - Defenseman

S47: Felipe Rodriguez (3rd Overall) - Defenseman

S45: Ariel Weinstein (3rd Overall) - Goaltender

The Quebec City Meute have draft in the first round in three of the past ten drafts. With multiple selections in a couple of those drafts they were able to actually grab some top end talent. Not a single prospect they drafted can be considered a bust, in fact all five could be considered great picks who have a shot at the All-Star games every single season and even VHL Awards. The issue is this team has no clue what direction they are taking. They seem to draft well and then screw it all up with the culture. It is nearing the 13th anniversary of their last Continental Cup victory and this team has done little in that timeframe to give their fans hope. Not to mention they have had some obvious tanks in past seasons where they even admitted to purposely losing games to acquire a top end pick, which in turn hasn't won them anything. The Quebec City Meute are the Edmonton Oilers of the VHL. We seem very critical of them but we are simply calling a spade a spade.

931vu03.png

HC Davos Dynamo rarely see a top four selection, but this year they will get the chance to do what they've done the last couple seasons. Let's look at their past draft selections in the first round.

S48: Jakab Holik (3rd Overall) - Goaltender

S48: Pavel Komarov (7th Overall) - Center

S47: William Covington (4th Overall) - Center

S47: Vincent Adultman (7th Overall) - Center

S47: Mikhail Gribov (10th Overall) - Right Wing

S44: Giovanni Reuel (6th Overall) - Right Wing

S42: Bismarck Koenig (1st Overall) - Right Wing

S42: Callum Sinclair (2nd Overall) - Goaltender

S41: Kyle Kingma (7th Overall) - Right Wing

S41: Mario de Rossi (8th Overall) - Right Wing

S40: Vladimir Komarov (8th Overall) - Defenseman

S40: Joshua Rubin (9th Overall) - Defenseman

Well it is safe to say the HC Davos Dynamo have had their fair share of selections in the VHL Entry Drafts first round over the past decade. Whether that has resulted in success is actually an easy answer; no it hasn't. They last won the cup 11 seasons ago (right before the above list got formulated). They've had a couple management changes over the years and a large majority of their picks have turned out to be gems. However, some of their selections have been questionable at best. They look on the right foot at this present time and they seem to be on the upward swing.

• Senior Admin
2 hours ago, Kendrick said:

The issue is this team has no clue what direction they are taking. They seem to draft well and then screw it all up with the culture. It is nearing the 13th anniversary of their last Continental Cup victory and this team has done little in that timeframe to give their fans hope. Not to mention they have had some obvious tanks in past seasons where they even admitted to purposely losing games to acquire a top end pick, which in turn hasn't won them anything. The Quebec City Meute are the Edmonton Oilers of the VHL. We seem very critical of them but we are simply calling a spade a spade.

I'm sorry but your personal bias' against Kesler have discredited an otherwise good article for me. 

4 hours ago, Draper said:

I'm sorry but your personal bias' against Kesler have discredited an otherwise good article for me. 

How is it personal bias? Unless you show me the Continental Cups they've secretly won in the past 10 seasons, the point is correct.

44 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

How is it personal bias? Unless you show me the Continental Cups they've secretly won in the past 10 seasons, the point is correct.

I believe he is referring to the first three sentences mainly. Brovy has done a good job drafting and the team looks like they could head in the right direction. Frank is a staple to that franchise and won't leave. STZ seems like he is content based off LR stuff. Evryday is ecstatic to be there. Daniel can't wait to play for them and then there is Brovy. Not really sure how that isn't a good culture. Also having a lotto pick which could turn out to Evans and he wants to be there doesn't seem so bad. So I think he is doing something right with the team finally. Have I doubted him? Yes I was one of his biggest doubters. But it seems like he really knows what he is doing this time around and is building a team instead of buying one. If he can get them or even a couple of them to extend, that is a job well done in my book and most of the leagues.

49 minutes ago, Da Trifecta said:

I believe he is referring to the first three sentences mainly. Brovy has done a good job drafting and the team looks like they could head in the right direction. Frank is a staple to that franchise and won't leave. STZ seems like he is content based off LR stuff. Evryday is ecstatic to be there. Daniel can't wait to play for them and then there is Brovy. Not really sure how that isn't a good culture. Also having a lotto pick which could turn out to Evans and he wants to be there doesn't seem so bad. So I think he is doing something right with the team finally. Have I doubted him? Yes I was one of his biggest doubters. But it seems like he really knows what he is doing this time around and is building a team instead of buying one. If he can get them or even a couple of them to extend, that is a job well done in my book and most of the leagues.

But the first three sentences describe how good their drafts have been. In fact that is the most positive part about that paragraph haha. You guys need to also read where it says "past 10 seasons". They are headed in the right direction now, yes. However over the past 13 seasons they haven't won a cup and they have drafted very high a lot of the time, something was wrong with the team.

Getting your players to re-sign is great, but don't for a second that means a GM has done a good job. That's almost a laughable comment because you can re0sign your players all you want but if you can not win the cup at any point with the great selections than its really just a moot point.

1 minute ago, Kendrick said:

But the first three sentences describe how good their drafts have been. In fact that is the most positive part about that paragraph haha. You guys need to also read where it says "past 10 seasons". They are headed in the right direction now, yes. However over the past 13 seasons they haven't won a cup and they have drafted very high a lot of the time, something was wrong with the team.

Getting your players to re-sign is great, but don't for a second that means a GM has done a good job. That's almost a laughable comment because you can re0sign your players all you want but if you can not win the cup at any point with the great selections than its really just a moot point.

How is " The issue is this team has no clue what direction they are taking. They seem to draft well and then screw it all up with the culture." that even remotely close to how good their drafts are? You basically say he has no clue what he is doing and he screws things up. Re-signing top level players is always a great thing and not even close to laughable. By keeping their main core intact, it helps their future towards winning a cup. That way they don't have to draft new players to fill empty spots or seek through free agency.

2 hours ago, Da Trifecta said:

How is " The issue is this team has no clue what direction they are taking. They seem to draft well and then screw it all up with the culture." that even remotely close to how good their drafts are? You basically say he has no clue what he is doing and he screws things up. Re-signing top level players is always a great thing and not even close to laughable. By keeping their main core intact, it helps their future towards winning a cup. That way they don't have to draft new players to fill empty spots or seek through free agency.

I am saying that he seems to draft well but between drafting and winning a cup something is lost. History shows that he seems to get good draft picks but at some point those draft picks aren't doing it for them or he simply isn't surrounding them with support. Re-signing top level guys is great, never denied that. The point that is laughable is that you seem to have written that re-signing top level guys is all he needs to do, it's evident that solely doing that hasn't worked. 13 seasons says that your responses are somewhat correct, but also very wrong considering in the past 10 seasons they've had only 5 first round draft picks, no cups and he has admitted to tanking. So no I am not bashing him on purpose, I am directing what has been done in his tenure and the tenure of the previous GM.

Review: Great job here. Lots of research went into this I'm thinking. Didn't notice any glaring issues grammar-wise either. Overall, very well done.

@Da Trifecta

And I'm not sure ecstatic is the right word for how I feel about being on Quebec. I don't want out but I definitely don't want to go through many more rebuilding seasons lol

• evrydayimbyfuglien changed the title to Draft Lottery History: Past 10 Seasons [Reviewed]
1 hour ago, ADwyer87 said:

This is a really neat article, Kendrick, I hope you make this a series!

I have many different series' on the go. I have one I've been waiting to continue for about 10 seasons called "What If's"