LR Suggestion

Just now, Victor said:

probably because it's small, annoying, and unnecessary?

It's annoying to have a huge amount of LRs to a dozen people. I don't even know if BoG have all LR accesses, so it could be an even smaller number then that. Maybe implementing something new members have requested in multiple instances would help retain them.

8 minutes ago, Jala said:

You've been around forever, how often is 'WELL WE'VE DONE IT LIKE THIS FOREVER SO WE'RE NOT CHANGING IT' been used as a defense to something members complain about?

Also I don't get how having the team LRs be the first thing you see wouldn't promote more team activity and thus increase camaraderie. If you're purposefully ignoring your team LRs to go post about something in off-topic, there's a bigger underlying problem.  

- I'll entertain your first sentence even though it's entirely irrelevant to my point, and if you bothered to read my post thoroughly you would know that, considering I also condemned that side of the argument as well, calling it "preferential." But yeah, it gets thrown around pretty often. I would say it's sometimes even valid, as changing things for the sake of change is pretty dumb, imo. You could even argue that putting LRs at the top is one such change, but like I said several times now, it's just a matter of preference. On the flip side, we DO STILL make lots of changes of varying extremes. The VHLM was always a farm league; it hasn't been for over half the league's life now. We've always been a graded PT league; not so much anymore. So what are you even talking about here? Are you saying that "WE'VE DONE IT LIKE THIS FOREVER" is an invalid argument in this case? Because the very post you quoted quite clearly agreed with you.

- Here's a novel thought: Because people actually browse several sections of the site regardless of where they're located. The games are posted around the middle, do you not check them because they're not right at the top? How about player updates, do you not bother updating your player, or submitting PTs because those sections are pretty close to the bottom? No? Holy shit, how is that even possible?

I personally like the LRs at the bottom for basically the exact reason a lot of people like it at the top. It's my favourite place to check out, and I like saving the best parts for last. I personally like to go over the less important stuff first, like off-topic convos and my notifications and maybe game comments, and then I arrive at the bottom to the Blue HQ and my LRs to the real meat. BUT THAT'S JUST MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE. There's no way I can objectively argue that it's better than having it at the top, just like there's no way you can do vice versa.

So please explain to me why a button at the top isn't objectively the most satisfying for all parties?

2 minutes ago, Victor said:

@ADwyer87 mentioning @eaglesfan036, mini-@JardyB10 rant, @Jala saying VHL is too conservative, and a @Mr. Power 3 paragraph post.

I think I have VHL bingo!

You see what he did there Jala? While making a joke, Victor just  confirmed why we would rather more conversation happen not in LR's here. The VHL is it's own set of memes, jokes, and references. Because the core community here communicates and interacts with each other regardless of team.

I mean great, cool, to you guys this is just a game. It's just fun. You sign up, talk with your teammates, your player plays in the sim, you don't want to post anywhere else great. But then get the fuck out of here thinking your entitled to say anything about where changes should be on this site. You don't give two shits about the "forum" aspect of this forum anyways. You just want to talk to teammates and watch your player in the sim. The rest of us enjoy engaging with each other, so in a way, it's more our site than it is yours right? 

I should also clarify when I say our, I don't mean some top 10 hierarchy. We've been an active, solid community of people here in the past with good recruitment on some of the principles I'm talking about. I'm not saying one way is right or wrong, I'm just saying I know myself and many others choose the VHL because of some of it's core differences versus other sim leagues. 

Edited by Mr. Power

• Senior Admin
9 minutes ago, Jala said:

I wasn't aware that the top 10 of the league's power hierarchy was half the league.

who tf do you think made this change :lol:

• Senior Admin

But seriously guys this nothing to start a big argument about. There's been a lot of people suggesting it over the seasons and I don't see the harm in trying it out for a season and having a public discussion about it next off-season. Some people who don't like it now might just get used to it, you never know. Like when we first switched to the new forum version, a lot of people were skeptical (myself included) but I think most of us have gotten used to it and can agree that it was worthwhile. 

Just now, Draper said:

But seriously guys this nothing to start a big argument about. There's been a lot of people suggesting it over the seasons and I don't see the harm in trying it out for a season and having a public discussion about it next off-season. Some people who don't like it now might just get used to it, you never know. Like when we first switched to the new forum version, a lot of people were skeptical (myself included) but I think most of us have gotten used to it and can agree that it was worthwhile. 

It should still be under the announcements though. Perhaps pull the Announcements out of the Front Office and make it it's own section to put over top.

Or, ya know. Make a button.

MAKE A BUTTON FUCK!

You guys are right. It's a stupid issue that should never be brought up and all the straw man arguments brought forth have completely sated my misunderstanding at how this could be a welcome change to a large portion of the population of this site.

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Draper said:

That new forum version is exactly the wrong way to look at it. It's not like we were ever switching back is it? So "trying it out for a season" is basically code for "deal with it".

Other options should be explored.

4 minutes ago, Draper said:

You know there were people who got used to the holocaust too. That didn't make it right. :P I kid. 

Also Jala, I laugh at your use of the word "large." If you expect me to believe there is an growing movement of the VHL's minority groups that is going to band together, so hard, that the most worthwhile change in a league that desperately needs more recruitment and about a million other things is the positioning on the website of the locker rooms then you are a silly silly human being. But hey, if that movement does exist? Priorities people, seriously. :P 

3 minutes ago, Jala said:

You guys are right. It's a stupid issue that should never be brought up and all the straw man arguments brought forth have completely sated my misunderstanding at how this could be a welcome change to a large portion of the population of this site.

Yeah, the 50% who want it at the top. Now it's time for the 50% who want it at the bottom to start to bitch and complain, and the cycle will be complete.

And everyone probably will get used to it, given how trivial it is (or the most important change ever, depending who you're talking to). I wouldn't even be surprised if there wasn't a thread made about it every few months anymore. But maybe there should be.

5 minutes ago, Jala said:

So you're against a button?

Are the rest of the Pro-Tops anti-button too?

Is there any reason we should not have a button or similar functioning thing?

Someone please address this.

#BUTTON2016

What really tickles my bones is how we get told we don't cater to new members, when Draper straight up changed this shit (just like we have done with other things) to cater towards newer members. I mean look at who is arguing AGAINST this. Admins, ex admins, prominent GM's and former GM's, BoG Members. In spite of all this the change has happened. But yep, your right, we default to "change is bad." 

• Senior Admin

I'm not denying it's trivial, honestly I could give a fuck whether they're at the top or the bottom. But when I saw Higgins suggest simply removing us admins from the LR's we don't need and give it a try at the top I thought it wasn't a bad idea. Still not sure why I apparently get all the heat when it wasn't even my idea :lol:

• Admin
6 minutes ago, JardyB10 said:

And everyone probably will get used to it, given how trivial it is (or the most important change ever, depending who you're talking to). I wouldn't even be surprised if there wasn't a thread made about it every few months anymore. But maybe there should be.

Oh I will be bringing this up on a daily basis.

I suggested this literally just for mobile convience. Having it at the top helps people notice it's there also. When I first signed up for the site, I had no idea I even had a locker room for probably a week. 

There is no crazy activity shifting negatives or positives to this move so I don't understand why anyone is acting like it does. Simply makes me more likely to post in my LR on my phone, which is a big deal for me throughout the day. Trying something different out is always good for an established league like this one because if it doesn't go well, we can always go back or find a different route. 

Now Im off to find another controversial suggestion because I'm on a fucking roll. 

1 hour ago, Evans said:

I suggested this literally just for mobile convience. Having it at the top helps people notice it's there also. When I first signed up for the site, I had no idea I even had a locker room for probably a week. 

There is no crazy activity shifting negatives or positives to this move so I don't understand why anyone is acting like it does. Simply makes me more likely to post in my LR on my phone, which is a big deal for me throughout the day. Trying something different out is always good for an established league like this one because if it doesn't go well, we can always go back or find a different route. 

Now Im off to find another controversial suggestion because I'm on a fucking roll. 

You have ruined the VHL! 

What a miniscule thing for everyone to be upset over. Does it look awful to me because I have to scroll through 3 million locker rooms to get to the vhl? Yes. But the placement of locker rooms is such a minor thing why does everyone even care so much lol.