LR Suggestion

• Admin
58 minutes ago, ADwyer87 said:

The 'huge' recruitment drive and the conversation in the April fools thread is where I'm getting that from

It's not just that moving the LR will fix everything. But as it is now LRs are pretty much dead, I know until I got all my new recreates in Saskatoon LR that I was posting over half of the replies trying desperately to keep people active and interested. I see other sites where the LR is at the top that seem to be more active. like SHL(keep in mind I joined this site first) that I have had a lot of fun with recently for the main purpose that the LR has been amazing. Even the SBL, after its big fiasco and having like every staff member changed, still has much more LR activity than here. On the other hand I look here and see that last year I could almost forget that the Seattle LR existed. It's not a be all end all solution, i have never said that, but it works for other leagues, so maybe it could help here.

also, You guys are saying that you want to move discussion to the boards rather than the LR. do we even have that at the moment?...

the SMJHL and VHLM are very different leagues for numerous reasons, starting with the attitude towards them. That's something which has improved considerably but yeah VHLM LRs aren't great. I just don't think your issue would be resolved by moving the forum to the top. I mean these days you get notifications from quotes and tags, if people don't reply it's because they don't give a shit.

I've never been in a bad VHL LR.

I've been in one semi-inactive LR and it was depressing, but that's why you should try and create content and discussion or just post shit that others may find interesting. You can't always blame a LR as dead but then do nothing to try and revive it. Of course if you are the only member in there, that's different.

5 hours ago, ADwyer87 said:

That's quite narrow minded thinking

It's the main train of thought from the older guys. It's like south park and their Simpsons did it episode. 

This argument is pointless because it's been had in more instances then those two threads I posted and it just will not be changed. Bring back shortcuts or move admin forums to the bottom so having team LRS on top isn't an issue.

The reason this argument is dumb is because:

A. It doesn't truly matter one way or the other (aside from admins), and

B. One of those old threads did indeed reveal a 50/50 split in preference. Meaning that you're damned either way you slice it.

I think people who say "moving the LR to the top will increase LR activity" are mostly full of shit. Yeah, I'm sure it would make a slight difference, but not one that requires a huge debate every few months.

The admins of the league are the only ones who would ACTUALLY suffer having the LRs in one location and not the other, because they're "in" all 18 LRs. For everyone else, it's just a preferential thing or minor inconvenience at best.

So when it comes right down to it, the choices are:

1. Cater to 50% of the league.

2. Cater to 50% of the league and make the admins unhappy.

So as "selfish" as it may seem, any sane person would pick #1 just because of the slight edge.

-----------------------

Of course, the actual solution to this would just be to add a button at the top that redirects to the LR section again. I don't know why those were taken out in the first place, but I really don't see a reason they couldn't be put back in, considering we already have other buttons up there. Ideally they would go under all the team and index buttons, but they could probably go next to them if it wasn't a practical option.

I don't know how to do that, but I'm sure a combination of @Higgins, @boubabi, and/or @Beketov does.

One thing that a rookie on SHL recently brought up was having a side bar where you could store forums or pages that you access all the time. Not sure if such a thing is possible but it would be handy to access to something like that.

• Senior Admin
9 minutes ago, boubabi said:

Gimmie access to the lrs for a sec and I will do that

will get back to you, higgins and i might have a solution that would make buttons unnecessary 

LR's at the top suck ass. :P I wish I was fully joking too, but I'm not. I actually find it annoying for some reason. I want the LEAGUE to be at the top, you know announcements and all the things I should be clicking on before I go to the LR. 

All the people complaining because they post so much in the LR I got some words for you. Go fucking post in the off topic and other threads. We don't have enough members to be some "LR only communicates with each other and that is basically it" club like whatever the SHL is. :P 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

LR's at the top suck ass. :P I wish I was fully joking too, but I'm not. I actually find it annoying for some reason. I want the LEAGUE to be at the top, you know announcements and all the things I should be clicking on before I go to the LR. 

All the people complaining because they post so much in the LR I got some words for you. Go fucking post in the off topic and other threads. We don't have enough members to be some "LR only communicates with each other and that is basically it" club like whatever the SHL is. :P 

As a member of a rebuilding team, eat shit and let us flourish the only way we will this season....behind the scenes! :P

Just now, Evans said:

As a member of a rebuilding team, eat shit and let us flourish the only way we will this season....behind the scenes! :P

Flourish behind the scenes all you want. But until you and all members who spend too much time in LR and nowhere else on the board, your  not going to have a damn league to "flourish" in unless people on this board that haven't been around the last 3+ years start to LEAD. There is a reason the rest of us don't post as much, we've been here and been doing it forever. Leading in the LR does very little to keep the members here. It's what you do AFTER we got the members. 

• Senior Admin

I was skeptical but it's actually quite comfortable with my 1 LR.

I think it's worth giving it a chance for the season in any case. If everyone decides they hate it we can always switch them back and go with the button alternatives. 

2 minutes ago, Draper said:

I was skeptical but it's actually quite comfortable with my 1 LR.

I think it's worth giving it a chance for the season in any case. If everyone decides they hate it we can always switch them back and go with the button alternatives. 

you have better things to worry about then changing this.

CHANGE IT BACK this isn't the fucking SHL. It's been like this for 48 seasons and has been fine. :buttertroll: