To the NY Americans

Advantage

zIXs7oF.png

"It's tough being somewhere else when you have been in one place for seventeen seasons."

I have to admit that I was not happy when I found out I was being traded to the Stockholm Vikings.  Atticus Von Braxton IV was packaged with a pick and traded to the Stockholm Vikings for Ariel Weinstein, just a few days ago.  It was a deal to help New York in their aspirations to win a Continental Cup and it was a deal to help Stockholm get a little younger in net.  I also have to admit that I was very close to retiring after finding this news out.  I had come to dislike the Vikings since my last time there and had very little interest being a part of a younger, rebuilding team when I would soon be entering my prime years.  In some ways, I still am upset.

Of course, I understood why the deal had to be made.  As Matthew Lynch (YEAH!) said, "the original plan was to keep you around longer, but with the current direction of the team combined with the offer that was available, it ultimately made sense to do this deal."  He is right and I couldn't even deny that given the plans he and I had discussed, that it made perfect sense.  However, that didn't make it feel any better.  What probably made it worse was I had to suck it up in a locker room that couldn't wait for the deal to happen.  In a locker room that I had been a part of for seventeen seasons, and for a lot of it, a leader in it.

Four players, including Hall of Famer's Ryan Sullivan and Brick Wahl, played for the New York Americans.  In a lot of ways, when I was traded from the Calgary Wranglers for Skylar Rift, in order to GM the Americans, that is sorta where I felt like I belonged in this league.  I became a member of the Board of Governors just a year later and went on a fantastic run as I, along with the likes of @sterling, @tfong, @boom and @Smarch helped continue the legacy that the likes of Sterling, James, @Streetlight and @Mr. Power created.  It felt right at the time to hand the team off to @YEAH!stlemania when I did, but I also have to admit, that I have had regrets since.  Not due to his ability to GM, because I never had doubts about it, but that it perhaps was too soon for me to do it.  With all that being said, I knew this trade would come sooner rather than later, but I do also think that it can be hard to accept being on a rebuilding team given how long its been since I've just been a member on one.  In fact, I'm not sure I've ever just been a member on one in this league.  

Either way, it does seem fitting that I am leaving while another former NY star is returning in Smarch.  He's a good fit for that team and he may really lead them to a Continental Cup.  While I haven't guaranteed my long-term commitment to Stockholm, I do look forward to helping Jack with his rebuild, providing the experience I gained in New York.  Perhaps it will feel like I am not just a player if I help out so much. Maybe I will even feel like I fit in with that team he will build, which is something I haven't felt since stepping down a few seasons ago. While I am not sure I'll return to New York with future players I certainly don't regret asking for that opportunity back in Season Thirty-Two.  Not at all.

Edited by Advantage

Further to my salute, I'd like to say what an honor it was to play for NY under your leadership. Thanks for making that period of Tordahl's career enjoyable and putting him in a position to succeed. Not sure if his career numbers would have been so good elsewhere.

Sincerely,

Captain Devious.