VHL Live Streamers

• Commissioner

From that comment on we kinda highjacked the thread so I thought I would make an actual topic for this. Who would potential be interested in seeing a twitch or game or video section setup on the site where VHL members could come and enjoy other member's live streaming. Would introduce a new aspect to the league that we haven't had before, potentially open up a new recruiting market (twitch) and give members a different way to interact with each other.

Could also potentially be a PT opportunity akin to podcasts but stuff like that would obviously be flushed out later. I'm curious if this is something people would actually participate in.

I know I've been enjoying streaming lately even though I don't have much of an audience and I think it could be kinda fun to stream and have VHL discussion and members present at the same time. @Draper proved the embedding of both the chat and the player is possible with a few tweaks and @tfong came up with an idea for a centralized hub of VHL streamers of sorts.

I think it could be a cool idea for the VHL and open up some new doors for us. Plus stuff like the draft lotto and live sims would have a natural home.

• Commissioner

I sorta see it as like podcasts but more interactive. With podcasts we already have people who go through lists of questions from members and answer them; this could be the same sorta concept but with a more immediate response and more things to look at. If you don't like the game they are playing, you can just leave it on in the BG and then it's basically just a podcast anyway.

The Official Video Game discussion thread gets quite a bit of traction so I think having a GFX style section of the site devoted to games discussion, live streams, videos, etc could really thrive well here and give people a reason to stick around for more than just PT's. Obviously some setups are much more complicated so not everyone could do it easily but even the consoles themselves can do basic live streaming now so I think most people who would want to do this wouldn't have much trouble doing so.

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, Phil said:

I do have a twitch account so I'm half-way there! 

Honestly a decent computer and a twitch account is pretty much all that's needed. A nice webcam and microphone are nice but even built in ones will get the job done in a pinch. I use my iMac's webcam (it's at least still HD) and my headset's microphone and the quality isn't too bad.

Another thought with this to, having VHL streamers wouldn't just have to be for games either. I know @boubabi has already done live sigs before so stuff like that is also doable.

• Commissioner
7 minutes ago, tfong said:

Streamcasts instead of podcasts coming to VHL !

I'd do it. Been enjoying streaming more than GFX lately haha

• Commissioner

If anyone wants to test this out feel free to stop by my stream starting in a couple of minutes. @Draper can embed it here if we want the full testing experience.

https://www.twitch.tv/sharpe_gaming

• Commissioner

Going to go live sometime within the next hour I believe with my first ever CS:GO experience if you want to laugh at how terrible I am. I believe @Phil would enjoy it.

Actually going to do CoD 4 on PC first but CS: GO will be later. Going live soon.

Edited by Beketov

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, Phil said:

And I'll join in... I'm terrible

Oh I'm plenty terrible haha. The stream is archived if you want to check it out. CoD 4 was the first chunk but CS:GO was after that.

• 3 months later...
  • Commissioner

So this never went anywhere but I wanted to bump it to see if the blue team or others are actually interested in seeing it. I'm thinking mainly of using live streaming as a form of podcast. Basically answer questions live instead of getting them and then just going through them in a regular podcast way. Assuming we wanted to allow this would people be interested in taking part in live podcasts like that? Could be gaming, could be sig making, could be anything really. Obviously we would need an audience so I'm curious both on the "is it something we could do" side as well as the potential viewers.