Claimed:Quebec [Reviewed]

Will

• Senior Admin

QUEBEC CITY SHIT SHOW

IhclZ49.png

It's official, Season 49 for the Quebec City Meute has come to an abrupt and decisive end. For the team, it surely is a tough pill to swallow - rallying a giant win streak in the regular season to surpass Toronto as the top team in the league during the regular season only to be eliminated with authority at the hands of the Legion in just 5 games in the North American Conference Finals. Despite most games in the series being pretty close and even outplaying Toronto in one or two of the games that they lost, Quebec City simply was unable to both really ignite their offense enough to break down the playoff wall we all know as Hans Wingate or rally their defense to stop a Toronto offense that has been monstrous this season.

While I don't imagine many of the Quebec City players fully expected to win this season, after all they didn't even make the playoffs last season, I don't believe any of them expected to be eliminated in such a way after the remarkable regular season they had. For former Helsinki Titans player and now Quebec City Assistant Captain Aleksi Koponen, this season's defeat was, in a way, two-fold. He had an impressive season, the best of his career to date in fact, however the ever aging centerman was once again unable to match the seemingly unstoppable point production of fellow S45 draftee and career rival Max Molholt. 

hi-res-163282007_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=

Koponen has had an undoubtedly successful career up to this point. He's had decent numbers in all of his seasons and he has two Continental Cups under his belt with Helsinki in S45/46. His aspirations, however, go beyond a successful career and right now, with no individual awards to his name, he's well behind players like Molholt, Greg Clegane, and even Phil Hamilton in the running for a Hall of Fame career. As someone known to be fiercely competitive and even at times selfish, I don't imagine these facts sit particularly well with Koponen. 

While completely un-confirmed at this point, rumors have been swirling out of Quebec City that Koponen and Quebec management have spoken about the possibility of him being traded prior to Season 50 - if true, the idea of trading him is one that Quebec may well feel forced to go through with given the fact that Koponen holds a player option on his S51 contract, meaning the franchise could get nothing for him at that point if he chooses to make his exit. 

It's still early and hard to say what Quebec City might look like next season. The loss or re-signing of Koponen's friend Jeff Hamilton could have an impact on how he chooses to proceed as Quebec enters it's off-season and tries to ready the ship for another voyage in Season 50. 

8 minutes ago, Draper said:

His aspirations, however, go beyond a successful career and right now, with no individual awards to his name, he's well behind players like Molholt, Greg Clegane, and even Phil Hamilton in the running for a Hall of Fame career.

He'll be second or higher on that list when his career is over though. I know it. 

How the Hall of Fame committee looks at the S45 draft class, specifically the Helsinki draftees, will be interesting to me. It means a lot that Helsinki won back-to-back, but if none of the three get another Cup, will it be the old knock against Lebron of "sure they won, but they couldn't do it carrying a team on their own/without O'Malley."

• Admin
4 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

How the Hall of Fame committee looks at the S45 draft class, specifically the Helsinki draftees, will be interesting to me. It means a lot that Helsinki won back-to-back, but if none of the three get another Cup, will it be the old knock against Lebron of "sure they won, but they couldn't do it carrying a team on their own/without O'Malley."

I'd like to think that Clegane's S49 has pushed him out of the dependent-on-Helsinki category. Hamilton will probably have 2 Labattes too after this season if I remember the leaderboard correctly so Draper's right in saying Koponen has the weakest (or indeed barely any) case as it stands.

Just now, Victor said:

I'd like to think that Clegane's S49 has pushed him out of the dependent-on-Helsinki category. Hamilton will probably have 2 Labattes too after this season if I remember the leaderboard correctly so Draper's right in saying Koponen has the weakest (or indeed barely any) case as it stands.

That's true, especially for Clegane. Given that S46 and S47 draft classes haven't come out guns blazing too, believe there will be room even if people don't get in first shot.

• Senior Admin
7 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

I HAD MORE POINTS THAN THOMAS FAGMALLY IN S46 PLAYOFFS

SO THERE 

• Senior Admin
2 minutes ago, Molholt said:

We are rivals? No one told me. 

Yeah, it's pretty one-sided though - I hate you, you love me

14 minutes ago, Draper said:

Yeah, it's pretty one-sided though - I hate you, you love me

I didn't realize there was such disdain. And here I was thinking I might salvage your career and help you get another Cup, guess not.

56 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

That's true, especially for Clegane. Given that S46 and S47 draft classes haven't come out guns blazing too, believe there will be room even if people don't get in first shot.

As a season 47 draftee, I agree, my point production is way lower than I thought it would be at this point. Sleeman, SWC3, myself...only a few out of the first seven or so picks are still around as far as I know.

1 hour ago, evrydayimbyfuglien said:

As a season 47 draftee, I agree, my point production is way lower than I thought it would be at this point. Sleeman, SWC3, myself...only a few out of the first seven or so picks are still around as far as I know.

Good thing you got lots of time to fill that resume up

• Admin
15 hours ago, evrydayimbyfuglien said:

5 + Virtanen is pretty good tbh considering the draft literally had 7 players. Better actives proportion than most drafts I'd guess.

3 hours ago, Victor said:

5 + Virtanen is pretty good tbh considering the draft literally had 7 players. Better actives proportion than most drafts I'd guess.

I guess I was under the impression more than 5 or 6 guys stay active from a class

Review: I put a hex on Quebec so good luck winning anything there :ph34r:. I like that this place has been going long enough to where you see good players actually miss the hall of fame. Feel like other leagues are too relaxed when it comes to who gets in and it just doesn't make it feel like an honor. 

• Evans changed the title to Quebec [Reviewed]