VHLM Waiver Removal Announcement

Higgins

VHLM SALARY SYSTEM (V1)

The VHLM has always been a work in progress and since I've joined the league the way for a new member to join their first VHLM team was through a waiver claim system. This waiver system was completely outdated and was the complete opposite of where we envision the VHL as a whole in the future. There was no player interaction, there was no excitement, there were no VHL.com article or Media Spot spin offs, to put it bluntly, the waiver system was dead content and a detriment to retaining new members.

This will be the first roll out of a VHLM salary system and is effective immediately. It replaces the waiver system with a new salary based system. We are introducing two new contract types to the VHLM, Prospect Contracts and Designated Contracts. Simply put, Prospect Contracts will be for created players with no carryover TPE and Designated Contracts will be for players that have carryover TPE. Prospect Contracts will be signed similar to how free agency works in the VHL, and a priority system will remain for Designated Contracts. Full details on each can be found below.

Prospect Contracts

• Created players that have no carryover TPE.
  • 5 million dollars in salary cap space for each team.
  • All contracts are a maximum of 1 season in length.
  • Contracts can range from $500,000 up to $2,000,000.
  • Teams can trade players signed to Prospect Contracts, but their full salary remains on the original teams salary cap.
  • A thread will be created for each player and offers can be made from VHLM general managers.
  • A player must wait a minimum of 12 hours after creating before they can accept a contract offer.

Designated Contracts

• Created players that have carryover TPE.
  • 2 million dollars in salary cap space for each team.
  • All contracts are a maximum of 1 season in length.
  • Contracts are set at $1,000,000.
  • Teams can trade players signed to Designated Contracts, but their full salary remains on the original teams salary cap.
  • A priority claim thread will be created each season and VHLM teams will be given a priority based on the last seasons standings.
  • The team with the highest priority with a claim on a player will receive that player. That teams priority will then move to the lowest position.
  • The priority claim period will be open for 24 hours after the player is created.

Special thanks to the BOG and to @flyersfan1493 and  @sterling for their help.

So since the salary comes out of the signing team, if my VHLM team sucked I could just keep signing people and trading them to contenders for assets? 

And if I was a contender, I could talk like 3 bottom teams into trading me designated guys so that I could have 8? Since it doesn't affect my cap and they'd get something out of it?

Edited by Molholt

• Admin
15 minutes ago, Molholt said:

So since the salary comes out of the signing team, if my VHLM team sucked I could just keep signing people and trading them to contenders for assets? 

And if I was a contender, I could talk like 3 bottom teams into trading me designated guys so that I could have 8? Since it doesn't affect my cap and they'd get something out of it?

yeah, why not? Same as what happens with waivers anyway. Plus you still give something up.

• Admin
1 minute ago, Molholt said:

Except waivers actually limit the same team from doing it over and over.

I don't think many people will go "I want to sign with Team A but to do that I need to sign with Team B first to then get traded to Team A". Especially since recreates will still be on waivers so this affects people without any personal connection to any team.

Just now, Victor said:

I don't think many people will go "I want to sign with Team A but to do that I need to sign with Team B first to then get traded to Team A". Especially since recreates will still be on waivers so this affects people without any personal connection to any team.

Except when Team A has already signed 2 guys and is capped out - but Team B offers to sign and trade them, getting them to their preferred destination.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Molholt said:

Except when Team A has already signed 2 guys and is capped out - but Team B offers to sign and trade them, getting them to their preferred destination.

since you're talking about a cap of 2 that implies you're talking about players with carryover but Team B can't sign any of those players because players with carryover still go through waivers

Just now, Victor said:

since you're talking about a cap of 2 that implies you're talking about players with carryover but Team B can't sign any of those players because players with carryover still go through waivers

Then yes, I missed that part

• Admin
Just now, Molholt said:

Then yes, I missed that part

I do understand what you mean though but I've never bought that argument when FA instead of waivers was proposed for VHLM. Yeah, it's possible but I don't think enough people care about where they play in the VHLM for half a season for it to be an issue.

In any case, the fact this is restricted to first-gens makes collusion between GM and players less likely.

• Admin
6 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

Looks good nice work bog. Do gms just post their contracts and pitches in waivers then? 

I say same as VHL FA. As long as the prospect is aware it should be fine.

18 minutes ago, Molholt said:

Not everyone is into the Toronto sign and trade scheme. I'm sure lots of new members will chose to sign with teams that are more active anyway

• Senior Admin
7 minutes ago, Victor said:

I say same as VHL FA. As long as the prospect is aware it should be fine.

14 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

Looks good nice work bog. Do gms just post their contracts and pitches in waivers then? 

Yeah that should be fine. Improperly formatted titles punishable by banning. If no thread is up by the time I make player page i'll probably make one and tag the bastard GMs.

17 minutes ago, sterling said:

Not everyone is into the Toronto sign and trade scheme. I'm sure lots of new members will chose to sign with teams that are more active anyway

You're right, Toronto is the only team who tries to do sign and trade deals. 

Also, a team with a bunch of members due to exploiting this would be more active. 

1 hour ago, flyersfan1493 said:

Correct.

Hey, speaking of 2 player proposal, how does carryover TPE work for that? I guess just depends on which player you retire to make the new player?

• Senior Admin
9 minutes ago, ADwyer87 said:

Hey, speaking of 2 player proposal, how does carryover TPE work for that? I guess just depends on which player you retire to make the new player?

Yes. Everyone's 1st second player starts with no carryover. After that it will just work the same way as it does now for most people..carryover from the last player retired goes to the new dude. In the event someone retires 2 players without creating one:

14.2 – Base TPE & Carryover

• A member's first second player will start at the base TPE amount of 30 TPE.
  • Carryover TPE from any given player can be used only once.
  • In the case that a member has two sets of carryover TPE (i.e. if they retire both of their players without creating a new one), they can use either set of carryover TPE when they create their next player. Again, each set of carryover can only be used once so this is really just saying you can use carryover in whichever order you please in the case that you have more than one set of carryover.

3 minutes ago, RomanesEuntDomus said:

So send-downs won't count against that salary cap, right?

While I generally like the idea of this I do agree with Molholt though, the "the full salary remains with a players original team" point seems to make cap-circumvention very easy.

Key point here is that this whole thing only applies to players creating during the season that used to be waiver claims .

• Admin
40 minutes ago, RomanesEuntDomus said:

So send-downs won't count against that salary cap, right?

While I generally like the idea of this I do agree with Molholt though, the "the full salary remains with a players original team" point seems to make cap-circumvention very easy.

This might also be an immediate measure with a full scale salary cap system coming into play eventually. At that point I imagine it will be in line with more common rules, like the VHL.

On 2016-07-23 at 6:38 AM, Higgins said:

Designated Contracts
  • A priority claim thread will be created each season and VHLM teams will be given a priority based on the last seasons standings.
  • The team with the highest priority with a claim on a player will receive that player. That teams priority will then move to the lowest position.
  • The priority claim period will be open for 24 hours after the player is created.

Do inactive FAs fall into this category still? i.e. Do the teams that have already signed an IFA only get to claim one more re-create this season? If so, does this also imply that a team could sign two IFAs instead of two re-creates if they so chose?