World Cup of Hockey 2016 Thread

Devise

Am I the only one currently watching pre tournament games? :P Russia 3-1 over Czech right now, surprised at the amount of push and fire. It's not like hitting and intense, but there is certainly speed, odd man rushes etc. Russia looks to have good forward chemistry going, but having Tarasenko on your second line with Malkin probably allows that freedom. :P 

2 minutes ago, Higgins said:

Are people actually excited for this? I mean I'm a huge hockey fan and will no doubt watch the games, but I have no pre-hype at all.

It's easy not to be. But after watching that first Pre Tournament game, to a sold out crowd in St Petersburg and seeing the players despite it being the first time hitting the ice for a game since end of season looking fast and hungry. Sure it wasn't "all out playoffs" but it was certainly regular season level, or close to it from what I saw. 

Enough players give a damn about it, the scoring should be high, and both Team Europe and Team NA are so intriguing that I'm certainly hyped. Forget the fact that I think a best of 3 to find the winner is absolutely genius, and just means more entertaining hockey. Can you imagine if it's a best of 3 between Team NA and Canada, or Team Russia and Canada?  @Advantage and I were talking about it as we played some NHL, about how every team has a pretty intriguing match up and with the exception of the Czechs, any one of these teams could beat the other on a given night. 

Too busy with the much more important VHL World Cup.

Though having both Team USA and Team North America kinda turns it off for me, it makes it a little less of a national competition.

i did just see that Olli Maatta got a game winner though, that's nice to hear

2 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

I'll probably watch a few of the games, but honestly I had no idea the pre-tournament started and I barely care.

I'll tune into a few, and it will be a nice little gauge to see how Eriksson does with the Sedins before hitting the ice as Canucks as well.

If I remember correctly, Eriksson was pretty dominant with the Sedins in some WC tournament few years back?

5 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

Yeah, they played very well together before. I forget where exactly it was, pretty sure 2014 Olympics?

Could be, it was some time ago anyways :P They were really good together, that much I can remember 

6 hours ago, Higgins said:

Ok I watched bits and pieces of the CAN-USA exhibition games and the intensity level was actually pretty high.

I've been trying to say this to people. We have had a few people in here claiming "lack of stakes." Which is all fine and dandy, but the players have to view it that way for the game quality to be shit. We've had injuries, big hits, and some high tempo games just in pre tournament. Regardless of what we think, the players are playing to win...which makes the tournament interesting. So far the most "uninteresting" game I've seen was NA vs Europe a few days ago, and that was just because Europe got so dominated. NA was on fire. 

7 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Heaven forbid people have their own opinions on things, that really sucks.

In what way did my comment in any shape or form even remotely suggest it wasn't okay to have your own opinion? Do you know what the word "discussion" actually means? I'm perfectly within my right to challenge and critique other opinions as a form of justifying my own thank you very much. 

#SelfEntitledKendrickMuch?

2 minutes ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

Team NA vs EU has been pretty decent so far. 5-3. NA started on fire but 2 goals from EU in the 2nd and now we have a game. NA slowed down

Yeah I've been watching some of it. NA was flying in that first, but one of the big areas that is going to be interesting for them is defensive play. A lot of those young players still have growing to do in those areas, and that became very clear in the second. Europe obviously didn't want to get humiliated here. 

Just now, Mr. Power said:

Yeah I've been watching some of it. NA was flying in that first, but one of the big areas that is going to be interesting for them is defensive play. A lot of those young players still have growing to do in those areas, and that became very clear in the second. Europe obviously didn't want to get humiliated here. 

as they are made of players from smaller countries, most of the players were playing in Olympic qualifying games so jet lag may have been an issue in the first game? 

10 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Oh did you finish walking him off to comment? 2nd time in a week. Keep sleeping together mates

You're the one flipping out over everything he says when he isn't even bringing you up.

But yes, I get along with him and you're acting like an ass hat, so yes I am defending him.

Edited by Advantage

Honestly, not even worth it.

Anyway, I'll be curious to see if NA can tighten it up defensively before going up against top teams.

Also curious how well Price can shake off any rust and if it will be quick enough to help the team like he can or if one of the other goalies will take that starting role.

Edited by Advantage

11 minutes ago, Advantage said:

Can I just say @Kendrick that it is pathetic that you bully people for being friends..seriously.  

Not at all and Im not bullying you, it's all jokes; I swear. Didn't want you to be too upset or anything, I genuinely do not think those things. It wasn't even fun to see the reaction. Stay golden pony boys.