Smeall: Covington Benched! [Reviewed]

Toast

COVINGTON BENCHED FOR REMAINING HOME GAMES

Murray2.jpg

A frustrated and possibly even sadistic (just look at that smile) Steve Smeall, Riga general manager, speaks to press while announcing the team has benched star Sir William Covington from playoff home games for his comments. 

By Toast

RIGA, LATVIA — Following the elimination of HC Davos from the playoffs, the European Conference Final is now confirmed.

As many expected, the Riga Reign will be taking on the Cologne Express to see who will advance to the Continental Cup series. Throughout the season, both the Express and Reign have been dominate on the ice against both European and North American opponents. 

Many stories could be sent to press about the star players that either team have ready to go, but the first story to come from the series is not what fans were expecting.

“Sir William Convington the third will not be playing any of the Riga home games throughout the playoffs,” announced Riga general manager Steve Smeall.

Earlier in the week, Covington made it loud and clear through various interviews and his social media accounts that he regrets signing with the Reign and looks forward to finding a new team in the off-season.

“The players seemingly think that this league is about them,” said Smeall. “Clearly, Convington is one of these men and chooses to make the playoffs about him rather than focusing on the team’s goal of bringing home a Continental Championship to the great country of Latvia, and the city of Riga.”

“That is why he will no longer play in front of the home crowd in Riga. We have the talent on this team to take on both Cologne and whoever may represent the North American conference in the Final.”

The announcement from the general manager has been met with confusion from league officials, and a mix of emotion from the team’s fan base.

“I guess it makes sense,” said long-time Riga fan Brovy Kesler. “He is our most-talented scorer though. I would look the other way from the comments and just let him play.”

Riga will most certainly be taking a hit with this decision as they will be without a player who put up 122 points and 40 goals through the regular season for the team. Covington found immediate chemistry with the rest of the team, specifically former Davos teammate, Shawn Muller. 

“People seem to forget that Muller led the team in goals this season and almost cracked the 50 mark,” said Smeall. “He can definitely lead our forwards when the team is at home, while Hamilton continues to set up plays and Clegane continues to shut the door. This is not a one-player team and we will be standing by this decision.”

Many of Riga’s players had fantastic seasons, capped by Clegane’s shutout-record breaking season. Cologne will be looking to make Smeall regret the decision though. The Express, being led by Hamilton, will look to capitalize on their chances with Riga’s mouthpiece riding the pine for majoirty of the series. Along with players such as Lincoln and Skovgaard, Riga’s remaining team will have to deal with quite the challenge.

“Covington will play the away games during the playoffs,” announced Smeall. “This is the team’s decision, and there are no sort of threats or social media posts that will help him now. He wants to go out there and say Riga can’t do it? F*** him, we’ll make him sit there and watch with the other doubters as we show them all what we’re made of.”

---

For Grigory

First off: there won't many home games to miss. We will beat Cologne cause we are way better then them. but Calgary will sweap us. so that's 4-5 homes games.

2ndly: is it possible to refuse to play in the playoffs. he is benching me cause I want to change teams. which is BS he shouldn't be allowed to bench me. but if it's allowed I should be allowed to bench myself and not play. I respect guys like muller and Jardy and the rest. but if he wants to go through with this I want to not play AT ALL this playoffs. 

You talk about teams are not about one person but you made it just that. you benching me screws everyone on the team.  you will need me vs Calgary I promise you that. but benching me will screw the team. so you made it about you and your hurt feelings and not what's best for the team.

3 hours ago, KingRobbie said:

First off: there won't many home games to miss. We will beat Cologne cause we are way better then them. but Calgary will sweap us. so that's 4-5 homes games.

2ndly: is it possible to refuse to play in the playoffs. he is benching me cause I want to change teams. which is BS he shouldn't be allowed to bench me. but if it's allowed I should be allowed to bench myself and not play. I respect guys like muller and Jardy and the rest. but if he wants to go through with this I want to not play AT ALL this playoffs. 

You talk about teams are not about one person but you made it just that. you benching me screws everyone on the team.  you will need me vs Calgary I promise you that. but benching me will screw the team. so you made it about you and your hurt feelings and not what's best for the team.

If I remember correctly from the holdout debacle I don't think you can do that. I don't have the facts on hand but I think I remember that coming up somewhere.

Either that or someone else tried to do it when they had a falling out with their GM and Jardy called them a twat or something.