The future of goalies in the VHL

scoop

Moving forward, the goalie situation is what I would call interesting. After S52, we will be seeing the retirement of Weinstein and the Cleganes, with Rubber Band and mist4ke entering via the draft. S52 will see the addition of M.T. Power, Edwin Threeencarnacion, and Rhett DeGrath to the active goalie list. These five prospects will be the future. Apollo Skye is also still young as an S51 goalie, so let's group him with these folks as the future talent.

After the S45 goalies retire, players like Jakab Holik, Ilya Kopralkov, and Dmitri Dadonov will have a chance to win something. Artom Zhumbayev may still be kicking around but his inactivity will make him a very unappealing goalie especially once regression starts to hit him (it will start to do so in S52).

One thing that is making this setup particularly interesting is that Threeencarnacion has declared that he intends to be a career backup. Whether or not he ends up sticking with this plan, I do not know. Personally, I would never do anything like this. I will, however, be taking a bit of a different approach to being a goalie with my player, mist4ke. At this point in time, I intend to go to free agency after three seasons, and I will only be signing one-year deals from that point on. While some players have already done this, I don't think it's been done as a goalie. The idea isn't necessarily to try to win as many cups as I can. More so, it's the case that I want to experience different things. Sure, one season I may sign with a top team that happens to need a goalie. The next season I might sign with a team similar to New York or Stockholm this past season and just see what will happen.

Here's an unrelated fact: the smallest span of seasons in which a team has won four cups is 13. From S18 to S30, Calgary won four cups. Just a fun fact for ya.

for mist4ke

Edited by Streetlight

47 minutes ago, Streetlight said:

Here's an unrelated fact: the smallest span of seasons in which a team has won four cups is 13. From S18 to S30, Calgary won four cups. Just a fun fact for ya.

You know what the smallest span of seasons in which a team has won 3 cups is? 3. Go Toronto.

13 hours ago, Streetlight said:

S52 will see the addition of M.T. Power, Edwin Threeencarnacion, and Rhett DeGrath to the active goalie list. These five prospects will be the future.

The sadistic part of me really hopes that a GM actually thinks I can be their future, only for me to sit on the bench 89% of the time.

Edited by YEAH!stlemania

4 minutes ago, YEAH!stlemania said:

The sadistic part of me really hopes that a GM actually thinks I can be their future, only for me to sit on the bench 89% of the time.

I'll set you as my backup and have you come in after 1 goal given up or if my goalies save percentage drops below 1.000. 

Just now, Molholt said:

I'll set you as my backup and have you come in after 1 goal given up or if my goalies save percentage drops below 1.000. 

I've already set up rules on that front:

What will be the rules I'll be enforcing regarding my playing time?

- I will not start more than eight games

- For the regular season, I will not enter a game that I am not starting in until the starting goalie has either conceded 3 goals or dropped below an .800 save percentage. 

- For the playoffs, I will lower that restriction to 2 goals and below an .850 save percentage.

1 minute ago, YEAH!stlemania said:

I've already set up rules on that front:

I set my lines. Although you could always hold out.

All in all, your career sounds really boring. Even more boring than just being a regular goalie.