Award Voting Discussion; MVP Debate Rages

Devise

It is no secret that the award voting process underwent a change starting in Season 52. Instead of VHL general managers determining award winners, it would be the BoG. While most of us have advocated for a proper award committee, the fate of that seems to still be unknown. However that hasn't stopped the BoG from continuing with their new way of doing awards, and in Season 53 we've seen some really good healthy discussion. There is a majority of the awards that have seen quick posts as obvious winners were debated about rather quickly. However two awards in particular have seen a bit more in depth discussion. 

Top Defender has been one and while I won't give anything about specific members, the merits of whether the award should be given to the best balanced overall stats, including defensive stats as a bit more of a priority versus looking at players who have better offensive stats. It's been a tougher consensus to find, but there does seem to be a lot of people leaning one way over the other. 

Even more, the MVP debate or the Scotty Campbell award has had the most discussion. There is 72 replies in the thread, and a lot of useless Devise paragraphs among them. On top of actually trying to choose between the multiple candidates, the debate has also seen comments trying to define the meaning of the award more clearly, and even digging through specific stats from individual games, or games versus only tough opponents as a means to try to identify what exactly we should be basing this award on. Most of us have a general idea of how we like to look at this award, but with a lot of more interesting narratives individually the Season 53 MVP discussion has had a hard time of narrowing down exact names. 

Voting is set to commence sometime next week I'd imagine, as the pre-discussion is used to try to get people to consider arguments and players before voting, which was one of the biggest issues with the way we used to do award voting. Stay tuned to the VHL awards later in the off-season to see who the BoG ultimately selected. 

3 hours ago, Kendrick said:

Some just don't know what MVP means, they think it's Most Outstanding. It's a shame those can't even educate themselves on the meaning of the award, or even try to understand.

Those fuckin idiots that disagree with you on who the MVP is, Fuck those uneducated bastards.

15 hours ago, Bushito said:

Those fuckin idiots that disagree with you on who the MVP is, Fuck those uneducated bastards.

It's not about disagreeing, it's the fact they don't understand the award. Nice try

20 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

It's not about disagreeing, it's the fact they don't understand the award. Nice try

What is to understand? Most valuable to his team. Javri, the end.

1 minute ago, Higgins said:

Jarvi if he stayed in Cologne I agree. But he didn't.

I'm curious: is this just because you don't think he did enough during his time in Cologne and think with more time it would be more justified, or does being traded disqualify him regardless? Would it be different for a player who played 16 games for a team, was then traded, and had MVP-like numbers in 56 games for a new team?

Just now, Street x Lite said:

I'm curious: is this just because you don't think he did enough during his time in Cologne and think with more time it would be more justified, or does being traded disqualify him regardless? Would it be different for a player who played 16 games for a team, was then traded, and had MVP-like numbers in 56 games for a new team?

If the trade was the complete opposite I would probably vote Jarvi as MVP

2 minutes ago, Higgins said:

If the trade was the complete opposite I would probably vote Jarvi as MVP

Okay, fair enough.

Honestly, I'm not trying to trap you or build a case for Jarvi out of your answer, just get your philosophy on this. What if after being traded to New York, Jarvi has the most goals and points for New York when he goes over there? Let's say something like 14 goals and 32 points in 16 games. Can he be MVP for being the best player on two separate teams, or do you only look at what he did for the team that he was on at the end of the season?

2 hours ago, Bushito said:

Most valuable to his team is right, thats what the definition is. Some think it's "Most Outstanding" which it's not.

12 minutes ago, Street x Lite said:

Okay, fair enough.

Honestly, I'm not trying to trap you or build a case for Jarvi out of your answer, just get your philosophy on this. What if after being traded to New York, Jarvi has the most goals and points for New York when he goes over there? Let's say something like 14 goals and 32 points in 16 games. Can he be MVP for being the best player on two separate teams, or do you only look at what he did for the team that he was on at the end of the season?

I think at that point you can certainly argue an MVP case considering an impact made on both clubs. For Jarvi in particular too it's hard to make such a case when all that stat padding occurred even before the trade. Obviously had he stayed on Cologne, the club very well could of won more and I think his case goes up every single game they win that they wouldn't of with him gone. 

3 hours ago, Bushito said:

Well it's a good thing we don't let you vote.

Jesus man, he was traded halfway through the season.

Streetlight at least made a pretty good case in his argument, I disagree with him wholeheartedly but I can totally understand where he's coming from. You on the other hand seem like you looked at top points and went "Well points are valuable, so that guy"

2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Streetlight at least made a pretty good case in his argument, I disagree with him wholeheartedly but I can totally understand where he's coming from. You on the other hand seem like you looked at top points and went "Well points are valuable, so that guy"

No I looked at the fact New York probably loses the cup without him. Pretty valuable. Looking at the players listed I don't see anyone else more valuable. I think you guys are trying to make a case against him. You can play on a good team, have the most points and still be the most valuable.

Just now, Bushito said:

No I looked at the fact New York probably loses the cup without him. Pretty valuable. Looking at the players listed I don't see anyone else more valuable. I think you guys are trying to make a case against him. You can play on a good team, have the most points and still be the most valuable.

Well he spent half the season on Cologne, and this is a REGULAR SEASON AWARD. So I'm glad you look at playoffs for your results.

Also, you could make that argument for about half of the NY roster, part of the reason we aren't considering him. Street's argument is for him as MVP because of his time on Cologne, which makes a bit more sense.

9 minutes ago, Bushito said:

Lol no Covington was better for us than Jarvi.

16 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Oh well I won't loose sleep over it

6 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I wish you the tightest of sleeps.

You realize I said Jarvi to get a rise out of Kendrick right? 

Just now, Bushito said:

You realize I said Jarvi to get a rise out of Kendrick right? 

Yes Bash, somehow I saw through your subtle gesture.

18 minutes ago, Street x Lite said:

Hey Jarvi's not a bad choice!

I'm not even saying he's not but it wasn't the purpose of my comment

12 minutes ago, Bushito said:

I'm not even saying he's not but it wasn't the purpose of my comment

AKA He doesn't care about any legit arguments you may have Street. :P Bash is only here to piss Kendrick off...oh and I suppose eventually GM another VHL team till he goes inactive and the team wins a cup. :P 

Edited by Devise

11 minutes ago, Devise said:

AKA He doesn't care about any legit arguments you may have Street. :P Bash is only here to piss Kendrick off...oh and I suppose eventually GM another VHL team till he goes inactive and the team wins a cup. :P 

PEW PEW!