Claimed: A Way Too Early S57 Mock Draft - 2nd Round

CowboyinAmerica

Image result for hockey mock draft

Last week, I explored what the first round of the S57 Draft might look like. And in a normal year, that would have been it – very few second rounders actually make a legitimate impact in the pros. This year, though, reminds me a lot of the vaunted S33 Draft that saw stars like Sebastian Ball Jr., Niklas Lindberg and Thomas Landry all go in the second round. There’s that much talent.

So here’s a quick rundown of a mock second round, which could feature some of those stars. Even more than the first round, it’s important to note that this is absolutely just me spitballing and shouldn’t be taken as a representation of actual draft stock. For the order, I took the standings as they currently are, though of course it’s subject to change.

:nya: 11. New York Americans – D Colton Rayne

After going offense with its two first round selections, it makes sense to me that New York would turn to the blue line. Ko Kane would be the top defenseman by TPE, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see New York go with the hard-working newcomer in Rayne, who would be ready to move up to the VHL in likely S58.

:sto: 12. Stockholm Vikings – C Calder O’Callahan

You’ll be seeing the Vikings a lot in this second round, where they now own five picks following the Mist4ke trade. The first of those picks is Rayne’s Vegas teammate O’Callahan, a playmaking center that could even slot in on Stockholm’s future first line given that the rest of the offensive cupboard is bare.

:col:13. Cologne Express – RW Matt Denning

I thought about putting Michael Roy here, but the smart money is on Molholt not maintaining activity. Instead, Cologne looks to pair first rounder Bennington with a right winger in Denning, who has been steadily working hard for Ottawa since signing with the franchise a month ago. Similar to O’Callahan, he’d instantly be seen as a future first line piece.

:que: 14. Quebec City Meute (from Calgary) – D Ko Kane

What do you get the team that has everything? Quebec goes into the offseason with a surprising amount of holes, and in this scenario, they addressed the offense in the first round with McQuack. That’s why I think they’d go defense here, and though pairing Kane with McQuack could be explosive, he’s clearly the best player available at this spot.

:sto: 15. Stockholm Vikings (from Seattle) – RW Oskar Ingolfsson

The pick that Stockholm just acquired from Seattle in exchange for Mist4ke, Ingolfsson would give Stockholm another piece on the first line of the future, looking to build up that offense. The question is, is Ingolfsson active? Megster is a VHLM GM, but she also hasn’t updated in two weeks. Vincent Oakhart might also be an option here.

:hel: 16. Helsinki Titans – D Thomas Sankara

With the first of Helsinki’s draft picks this year, defense has to be a high priority with Klingberg retiring and Barnyashev on his last legs. Sankara is mostly a welfare player, but given enough time, he could grow into a solid second defenseman alongside Ay Ay Ron in the Helsinki of the future.

:sto: 17. Stockholm Vikings (from Toronto) – LW Vincent Oakhart

Well, I wrote that Oakhart could be a possibility for Stockholm two picks ago, so it makes sense that they’d double down with him right here. Having been fully active since creating not long ago, Oakhart looks like he could be a steal early on. As a left winger, he also would give Stockholm a full offensive line in this draft alone.

:hel: 18. Helsinki Titans (from Davos) - RW David Kiaskov

Especially after going defense with Sankara, Helsinki can really afford to go best player available at this spot. Kiaskov has the graphic skills to make the VHL by S58, and given the strong leadership and the patience that Helsinki leadership has shown previously, there aren’t many better situations that he could land in.

:sto: 19. Stockholm Vikings (from Quebec City) – RW Matthew Clyde

With so many second round picks and no long-term offensive players on the roster, why not go for broke and get as many lottery tickets as you can? Despite only having been around for three weeks, Clyde has shown a strong graphic ability, and in recent days has shown the ability to max out his points.

:sto: 20. Stockholm Vikings (from Riga) - C Longrod Von Danglecoch

Yes this is a lot of offensive players for one team, but you have to go where the talent is, and I don’t think Stockholm would take a chance on goalies Michael Roy or Devin Fox given its selection of Kensington in the first round. It came down to Von Danglecoch and Shiro here, but the more recent point tasks as compared to welfare wins out, and Stockholm grabs another center.

3 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

(Because I see you looking at this @Tyler, I figure Sankara is probably the one that can shoot up draft boards the most given your history, but have some of the newer guys up there for now)

I don't mind where I get drafted either way it's just a number. Sankara will be for now m ostly a welfare player but once he gets to the VHL I imagine I can start changing that as best I can

I can guarantee I don't take Kensington with a top 3 pick, that would be absolutely stupid with a top 3 pick in this draft and this retardedly inflated goalie market.

Just now, CowboyinAmerica said:

Nah, this is where I stop for now. Not enough actives to fill out the third round.

Well you could always do a possible 3rd round gems?