Toronto Legion Weekly Presser

8 hours ago, dstevensonjr said:

:tor: Toronto Legion Press Conference :tor:

(2 TPE for answering all six questions)

1. We're one of only five teams in the league to have every skater on the positive side of the +/- stat. What is working so well for us that everybody is a positive on the ice?

2. 6 teams in our conference have positive goal differentials and at least 26 points. Is the playoff race going to be this tight all season, or will somebody fall out of it?

3. If you could make any plans for a long weekend with no monetary or travel restrictions, what would they be?

4. What's your current TPE for your player? If this isn't your first player, what's the highest TPE that you've ever hit for an individual player?

5. Bobby Bob is leading all defenders in points, and Joel Castle is leading all goalies in points. Which one of them is likelier to be leading their position at the end of the season?

6. Have you ever done an escape room? If so, did you enjoy it? If not, is there a specific reason why?

1. I think we are just very well balanced and everyone has a solid build. 

2. Tons of parity in our conference, we'll be jockeying with teams all season.  Will be fun to watch it unfold.

3. Probably got to some crazy obscure islands that are expensive or super hard to get to.

4. 1851 right now which is the highest I've ever earned on a player!

5. I chose Bob to win the Beketov so I will stick with that and hope my prediction is right.

6. I have not but would be down to try it, heard they're fun to do at least once.

On 6/10/2024 at 12:24 PM, dstevensonjr said:

1. We're one of only five teams in the league to have every skater on the positive side of the +/- stat. What is working so well for us that everybody is a positive on the ice? We are outscoring them more often?  The defense and offense are syncing up really well right now. 

2. 6 teams in our conference have positive goal differentials and at least 26 points. Is the playoff race going to be this tight all season, or will somebody fall out of it? I am hoping  all 6 teams stay competitive, make things a lot more interesting.

3. If you could make any plans for a long weekend with no monetary or travel restrictions, what would they be? Hawaii, I love the tropical weather and I am on a 80s Magnum P.I. kick and it looks so peaceful there. 

4. What's your current TPE for your player? If this isn't your first player, what's the highest TPE that you've ever hit for an individual player? 513 TPE as of this moment.  I hope I can earn enough to make this player HoF Calibur.

5. Bobby Bob is leading all defenders in points, and Joel Castle is leading all goalies in points. Which one of them is likelier to be leading their position at the end of the season? I honestly feel both will be able to keep the lead in their position.  I think this team will be able to make them up and get them where they need to be.

6. Have you ever done an escape room? If so, did you enjoy it? If not, is there a specific reason why? I have not, and while it sounds fun I dont think I ever will.  I don't have the smarts or the ingenuity to solve those things.

On 6/10/2024 at 10:24 AM, dstevensonjr said:

1. We're one of only five teams in the league to have every skater on the positive side of the +/- stat. What is working so well for us that everybody is a positive on the ice?

2. 6 teams in our conference have positive goal differentials and at least 26 points. Is the playoff race going to be this tight all season, or will somebody fall out of it?

3. If you could make any plans for a long weekend with no monetary or travel restrictions, what would they be?

4. What's your current TPE for your player? If this isn't your first player, what's the highest TPE that you've ever hit for an individual player?

5. Bobby Bob is leading all defenders in points, and Joel Castle is leading all goalies in points. Which one of them is likelier to be leading their position at the end of the season?

6. Have you ever done an escape room? If so, did you enjoy it? If not, is there a specific reason why?

1. Well the fact that we're one of the highest scoring teams helps and we're mixing things up 5-on-5 and keeping the other teams guessing. Everyone is committed to playing hard on both sides of the puck and that goalie is keeping the odd shot out.

2. I think a couple teams are overachieving so we'll see how long they last. I keep waiting for Seattle to crash back to earth but whatever they're smoking seems to be working for now. 

3. Switzerland is on my bucket list and I would even take a long weekend. The mountains, the food, the culture - the long flight would be worth it.

4. My TPE is currently 1615 (will be 1629 after the approvals this week). Castle is my fourth player and highest earning. My last player, Druss Deathwalker did well too ending with 1356. 

5. Bobby Bob. He's been unreal and my assists are kind of flukes. Unless I start doing some hail marys at open nets, Bob will lead dmen in scoring.

6. No, I haven't done one yet. I think a couple of my kids have, and we've talked about doing one but haven't had the time yet.

On 6/10/2024 at 11:24 AM, dstevensonjr said:

1. I think you are doing well because of BeavsSonMoon @Moon he is the goat and he gets results.

2. I think the Calgary Wranglers will fall out. They started off hot but are starting to slip in the standings.

3. I would probably go to Florida or somewhere that's very warm so I could enjoy the weather.

4. My current TPE is just over 800. The highest I've ever hit was above 1600+ with my first gen player.

5. Joel Castle because it's very hard for goalies to get points. I doubt any other goalies will rack up points.

6. I did two escape rooms when I went to the Dominican Republic. It was pretty fun and we had a great time, even though sometimes my family would get mad.

1. Jimi Jaks is first in the league in points, second in the league in goals, third in the league in assists, second in the league in shots, and first in the league in plus/minus. Is it safe to say that he's been our Most Valuable Player so far?

2. With another disappointing May for box offices around the world, why are the big movies that are supposed to kick off the summer failing to do so?

3. Are you on board with the consistent line changes this season (10 games per forward line, 7 games per defense line) to see how each group works, or do you think that it's smarter to only make changes if the team isn't playing well?

4. What is the last book that you read? Did you enjoy it, and would you recommend it to others?

5. We're 2 points back of first in the league, but we have played an extra game. Where do we need to improve to make up those points?

6. In a murder mystery, is it ever twins?

34 minutes ago, dstevensonjr said:

1. Jimi Jaks is first in the league in points, second in the league in goals, third in the league in assists, second in the league in shots, and first in the league in plus/minus. Is it safe to say that he's been our Most Valuable Player so far?

2. With another disappointing May for box offices around the world, why are the big movies that are supposed to kick off the summer failing to do so?

3. Are you on board with the consistent line changes this season (10 games per forward line, 7 games per defense line) to see how each group works, or do you think that it's smarter to only make changes if the team isn't playing well?

4. What is the last book that you read? Did you enjoy it, and would you recommend it to others?

5. We're 2 points back of first in the league, but we have played an extra game. Where do we need to improve to make up those points?

1. Everyone has been contributing to the team's success, but Jaks is having an outstanding season and has definitely been our most valuable player. He leads the team in almost every category and should be up for a bunch of hardware if he keeps it up!

2. I think people just don't have the money to spend they used to before COVID and the rise of inflation. 

3. Now that have seen what set works best, it might be time to stick with the best groupings. But, if there's no real difference then if it's not broke don't fix it.

4. I'm re-reading an older MG/YA fantasy series that's now 50 years old but has a massive following still all over the world. The series is The Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper and the last book I finished was #4 of 5, the Newbery Medal-winning, The Grey King. I'm currently reading #5, Silver on the Tree. I would highly recommend the series, with a reminder that it is 50 years old so there are a couple things that didn't age well, but for the most part, the Light vs Dark saga filled with Arthurian, Celtic, and Welsh mythology is still a good read and has seen a resurgence in popularity over the last 10 years or so due to Cooper being given a few lifetime writing awards and the BBC producing a radio play of the second book, The Dark is Rising.

5. The offense is clicking on all cylinders but that goalie needs to stop a few more pucks. There are a couple teams that still give us trouble.

6. Not that I can recall.

On 6/17/2024 at 1:42 PM, dstevensonjr said:

He is the engine that drives that truck! He is the team MVP

2. With another disappointing May for box offices around the world, why are the big movies that are supposed to kick off the summer failing to do so? Everything is too expensive, who wants to spend 15 dollars when you need it for something more important to spend money on.

3. Are you on board with the consistent line changes this season (10 games per forward line, 7 games per defense line) to see how each group works, or do you think that it's smarter to only make changes if the team isn't playing well? Maybe keep switching lineups for awhile and then look back at the stats and possible stick with one line setup and we get closer to playoffs

4. What is the last book that you read? Did you enjoy it, and would you recommend it to others? Like a pysical book?  If that is the case I can't even remember.  If on the PC still a no because I just spend hours upon hours on Wikipedia.

5. We're 2 points back of first in the league, but we have played an extra game. Where do we need to improve to make up those points?  We need to outscore our opponents more!  I heard if you outscore them more chances of winning!

6. In a murder mystery, is it ever twins?  I am not a big murder mystery person but isn't it always the maid or butler?  I don't think Ive ever seen twins on a murder mystery.

Probably but we have quite a few players near the end of the season that could challenge him 

Because its 60 bucks for snacks and a movie if you dont go alone 

but what if the lines are working and we change for no reason...

the first game of thrones book. Loved it 

Give us time to cook we are already knocking at the door 

Suspicious Reba Mcentire GIF by ABC Network

1. Quick and easy start, who is winning Game 7 between Edmonton and Florida tonight? (If this is after the game, did it go the way you thought?)

2. What attribute have you been focusing on upgrading lately?

3. In your opinion, should a player on the team that loses in the Cup Final be able to win the Conn Smythe Trophy for Final MVP?

4. Do you have a set day for when you start your TPE claims for the week, or is it just when you remember to do it?

5. Do you have any plans for the upcoming holidays in North America (Canada Day/Independence Day)? If you're not from North America, any exciting plans for the summer?

6. We're at 78 points on the season with 19 games left to play, and there are three teams right behind us with 77 points. How many points do you think that it'll take to lock up first place in the VHL at the end of the season?

2 hours ago, dstevensonjr said:

1. Quick and easy start, who is winning Game 7 between Edmonton and Florida tonight? (If this is after the game, did it go the way you thought?)

3. In your opinion, should a player on the team that loses in the Cup Final be able to win the Conn Smythe Trophy for Final MVP?

4. Do you have a set day for when you start your TPE claims for the week, or is it just when you remember to do it?

5. Do you have any plans for the upcoming holidays in North America (Canada Day/Independence Day)? If you're not from North America, any exciting plans for the summer?

6. We're at 78 points on the season with 19 games left to play, and there are three teams right behind us with 77 points. How many points do you think that it'll take to lock up first place in the VHL at the end of the season?

Crashing your PC

1. Edmonton--  They got hot and look to have their scoring touch back. I didn't see the finals going this way but happy for it.

2. Faceoffs-- Ninefingers getting his ass kicked in face-off circle.  

3. Yes.  Normally I would say no but the amount of points McDavid has put up and the records he set he would have to be MVP

4. Usually I get up Sunday and knock it all out for the following week

5. Going to hang out with family on 4th.  Not much planned really but BBQ 

6 .  Well seeing as Im on Vancouver I am hoping you struggle and we catch you and Seattle.   LOL.  But I think ten-twelve wins locks you in 

2 hours ago, dstevensonjr said:

Florida has home ice "advantage" but Edmonton has the momentum. Really tough, but I'll go with my original choice and say Florida.

I've been trying a more balanced approach so getting HS, SC, and RB to 97.

Yes, I think so. It's the MVP for the whole playoffs and it's criteria isn't winning the Cup. If someone is having a run like McDavid, then it's warranted. My only argument against McDavid, is that if he was so valuable, they wouldn't have been behind 3-0 in the first place.

Whenever I have time.

Nothing too crazy. We'll be at the trailer chilling.

I think we'll need at least 50 wins to lock up top spot so I'll say 106 points.

3 hours ago, dstevensonjr said:

1. I mean, screw the oilers so I hope the Panthers wins. I’m also extremely partial to Vladimir Tarasenko let’s go cats!

2. Haven’t really been focusing on anything in particular. Been working on my shot a tad recently given my horrible start.

3. Absolutely, yes. The conn smythe is *PLAYOFF* MVP, and the best player in the playoffs deserves recognition regardless of their team winning or not.

4. I have adhd so it’s usually just when I remember. Most of the time it’s Monday or Tuesday but sometimes I forget entirely until 11 on Sunday.

5. No major plans but I am going to be going on a camping trip with my friends just after Canada Day.

6. I’m not well versed in how points work in the VHL but I don’t see why we’d lose it at this point given how the team has been playing lately. I think we have first place locked up already.

9 hours ago, dstevensonjr said:

1. I said it a few weeks ago and am gonna stick with Florida in 7! They are currently up 2-1.

2. None because I am banking for my final season of depreciation :(

3. Nah, I don't overly like it but it definitely makes things more interesting.

4. I used to do it immediately but now I'm more chill and just do it before the weekend.

5. Not really, work and family time.  Hopefully enjoy some weather and go paddle boarding.

6. I think it'll come down to the wire as it normally does but it's nice to see us in first place right now!

On 6/24/2024 at 12:42 PM, dstevensonjr said:

1. Quick and easy start, who is winning Game 7 between Edmonton and Florida tonight? (If this is after the game, did it go the way you thought?) Well I am answering this late but I was thinking Edmonton was going to come all the way back.  

2. What attribute have you been focusing on upgrading lately? Poke Check, gotta stop these foo's from scoring on us.

3. In your opinion, should a player on the team that loses in the Cup Final be able to win the Conn Smythe Trophy for Final MVP? Yea, it should be awarded to the best player of the playoffs and if they are on the losing team, so be it.

4. Do you have a set day for when you start your TPE claims for the week, or is it just when you remember to do it? I do it throughout the week when I do my daily sim check.

5. Do you have any plans for the upcoming holidays in North America (Canada Day/Independence Day)? If you're not from North America, any exciting plans for the summer? Relaxing at home with the fam and working on fake sports players.  Staycations are the best for me.

6. We're at 78 points on the season with 19 games left to play, and there are three teams right behind us with 77 points. How many points do you think that it'll take to lock up first place in the VHL at the end of the season? I am pulling this out of my butt, but I will say at least 110 points.  We should win out though, so its all good.

Sadly yes

Scoring

Yes when he does what mcdavid did 

Usually forget i havent done them till late sunday night 

Going to Portugal in September 

10 games

1. Jimi Jaks and Diego Machado are set to finish 1-2 in league scoring. How impressive has that duo been this season?

2. What was the worst contract given out in Free Agency on July 1st in the NHL?

3. We need 2 points to clinch the Victory Cup for the regular season. Do you believe in the Victory Cup curse, or can we be the team to break it and win both the Victory Cup and the Continental Cup?

4. Do you partake in any fireworks shows for the holidays, be it viewing or lighting them off yourself?

5. Joel Castle needs 2 wins in the final 3 games of the season to take sole possession of 2nd place in Legion regular season wins all-time. He also needs 4 wins in the playoffs to take sole possession of 1st place in Legion playoff wins all-time. Is Castle the greatest goaltender in Legion history?

6. Have you experienced the awesomeness that is the 1997 cinematic classic Face/Off?

On 7/2/2024 at 12:16 PM, dstevensonjr said:

1. Jimi Jaks and Diego Machado are set to finish 1-2 in league scoring. How impressive has that duo been this season?

They have been absolutely fantastic this season. Amazing chemistry and they just destroyed defenses. It's a historic pairing and a lot of hardware is coming Jaks' way. 

As much as he was great in the playoffs and would love to have kept him with the Canucks, Elias Lindholm's 7 x $7.75 million is pretty rich. Boston better hope he returns to 30-40 goals (and he very well may with Marchand and Pasternak) but that's too much for too many years.

3. We need 2 points to clinch the Victory Cup for the regular season. Do you believe in the Victory Cup curse, or can we be the team to break it and win both the Victory Cup and the Continental Cup?

I'm going to choose not to believe in the Victory Cup curse and instead believe in the four times the Legion has won both the Victory and Continental Cups (S21, S29, S48, S50)! Also, the fact this is this group's first Victory Cup is crazy.

4. Do you partake in any fireworks shows for the holidays, be it viewing or lighting them off yourself?

I'll view them but I've never lit any before.

5. Joel Castle needs 2 wins in the final 3 games of the season to take sole possession of 2nd place in Legion regular season wins all-time. He also needs 4 wins in the playoffs to take sole possession of 1st place in Legion playoff wins all-time. Is Castle the greatest goaltender in Legion history?

Nah, my success has been largely a product of the great team in front of me. Am I one of the best in Legion history? Sure, the numbers say so, but 8 HOF goalies have played for Toronto and I'm not quite there. 

6. Have you experienced the awesomeness that is the 1997 cinematic classic Face/Off?

Pretty sure I saw it back in the day but probably wouldn't hurt to watch it again at some point. Why? Did you just discover it? 😆

On 7/2/2024 at 2:16 PM, dstevensonjr said:

1. Jimi Jaks and Diego Machado are set to finish 1-2 in league scoring. How impressive has that duo been this season?  They are the dynamic duo that power our offense.  Men want to be them and women want to be with them.

2. What was the worst contract given out in Free Agency on July 1st in the NHL? Stamkos and Nashville, or I am just bitter that Stammer left the Bolts.

3. We need 2 points to clinch the Victory Cup for the regular season. Do you believe in the Victory Cup curse, or can we be the team to break it and win both the Victory Cup and the Continental Cup? Well seeing as it has already happened I guess it's not fair to answer but I thought it would happen even before!

4. Do you partake in any fireworks shows for the holidays, be it viewing or lighting them off yourself? My Son is finally old enough to enjoy them.  We will be shooting off fireworks for the first time in his life! 

5. Joel Castle needs 2 wins in the final 3 games of the season to take sole possession of 2nd place in Legion regular season wins all-time. He also needs 4 wins in the playoffs to take sole possession of 1st place in Legion playoff wins all-time. Is Castle the greatest goaltender in Legion history? Of course, he will go down as the greatest goaltender in the history of the VHL if not the world.  Glad to be able to play with him.

6. Have you experienced the awesomeness that is the 1997 cinematic classic Face/Off? I love 80s and 90s movies and this is a perfect example of a great 90s movie.  I also love Nicholas Cage movies.

54 minutes ago, animal74 said:

Pretty sure I saw it back in the day but probably wouldn't hurt to watch it again at some point. Why? Did you just discover it? 😆

I was re-watching it, I've seen it many times. Couldn't think of a sixth question, so it decided for me lol.

30 minutes ago, MSouthworth said:

6. Have you experienced the awesomeness that is the 1997 cinematic classic Face/Off? I love 80s and 90s movies and this is a perfect example of a great 90s movie.  I also love Nicholas Cage movies.

The Cage 90's action trifecta of The Rock, Face/Off, and Con Air is legendary.

Sacha Baron Cohen GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Lindholm

I think we have a chance just have to play like we did in the season.

Yeah my gf dragged me out to them. Was fun though 

yes. Also Yes.

Yes but what it was is my secret 😂

1. The playoffs are here, and we've got Vancouver in the first round. Who is the biggest threat that we have to shut down on their roster?

2. What did your player do during the break between the end of the regular season and the start of this round?

3. What are you happiest about your players regular season?

4. Who is an actor/actress that you'll watch pretty much anything that they show up in?

5. Diego Machado just signed an extension with the Legion, becoming the latest player to extend all the way until retirement. How special is it that we have so many good players willing to stay together for the long haul?

6. What are your favourite pizza toppings?

10 minutes ago, dstevensonjr said:

1. The playoffs are here, and we've got Vancouver in the first round. Who is the biggest threat that we have to shut down on their roster?

2. What did your player do during the break between the end of the regular season and the start of this round?

4. Who is an actor/actress that you'll watch pretty much anything that they show up in?

5. Diego Machado just signed an extension with the Legion, becoming the latest player to extend all the way until retirement. How special is it that we have so many good players willing to stay together for the long haul?

1. While the Wolves had three 30-goal scorers during the regular season, I think their defense is what we have to worry about. Calaway, Slater, Alone, and Gavilrovs can all generate offense from the backend and shoot the puck. We have to keep an eye out for those four pinching in.

2. Trained more. Worked on quickness and flexibility. There are no guarantees in the playoffs. Need to keep working.

3. That I didn't completely suck during my last season! Had my best individual record - career-high in wins and career-low in regulation losses and I finished strong in time for the playoffs.

4. Jennifer Morrison

5. That's fantastic and means we've created a winning culture that attracts talent and makes them want to stay long-term. Great for the continued success of the franchise!

6. BBQ chicken and I'm one of the crazy ones that loves pineapple on pizza! 

1 hour ago, dstevensonjr said:

Crashing your PC for LUCK! 

1. Owen Lazaro.  He's been our leader and best player on the ice.  Don't pay attention to Logan Ninefingers at all please.  Let him score

2. Played a tough series with NY

3. I liked the fact he came on strong at the end.  Was moved from wing to center so had to pump points in FO and it caused me to slump offensively for a bit.  Ended strong so can focus on playoffs

4. Ryan Reynolds 

5. I think it speaks well to your locker room and team leadership.  If the LR is fun and the team has a commitment to winning and less about personal stats it makes for a fun atmoshphere.  Vancouver has the same, very fun group of people

6.  Pepperoni and Sausage 

On 7/8/2024 at 3:46 PM, dstevensonjr said:

1. Biggest threat now is Seattle. A rematch of last season as we hope to come out on top this time! It will be a crazy goalie duel.

2. Rehabbed a nagging injury to stay in top shape for the playoffs, ready to put it all on the line.

3. Happy that Toronto won the Victory Cup while Atlas also reached new career highs and climbed the legion all time stats board.

4. Leonardo DiCaprio for sure.

5. Super special, that's been the key to our success as a team is having guys like Machado want to stay and play out their career as a Legion.

6. Pineapple, black olives, not too picky when it comes to pizza aside from anchovies.