Toronto Legion Weekly Presser

:tor: Toronto Legion Press Conference :tor:

(2 TPE for answering all six questions)

1. At the halfway point of the season we are tied with Chicago for the last play-in spot. What are your thoughts on our season so far?

2. We rank last in the league in power play percentage with 14.77%. What can we change on the PP?

3. With the trade deadline approaching what should management's strategy be?

4. Which team (besides us) has surprised you the most (good or bad) this season?

5. What new helmet do you think would look best with our uniforms - a matte blue or chrome blue?

6. Rank the four new NHL Stadium Series jerseys with 1 being the best and 4 being the worst.

19 hours ago, animal74 said:

1. At the halfway point of the season we are tied with Chicago for the last play-in spot. What are your thoughts on our season so far?

2. We rank last in the league in power play percentage with 14.77%. What can we change on the PP?

4. Which team (besides us) has surprised you the most (good or bad) this season?

5. What new helmet do you think would look best with our uniforms - a matte blue or chrome blue?

6. Rank the four new NHL Stadium Series jerseys with 1 being the best and 4 being the worst.

1. If I am being honest, I am very disappointed in our season so far. Indeed, we won the Cup last season and now it is not even sure we will make the playoffs. I know we can, but we have to do better.

2. We can change the lines or the strategies. I don't think there is really more we can do.

3. It would be a good idea in my opinion to find a good second defensemen or a third forward.

4. Moscow! Last season they finished second-to-last and now, they are sixth in the league. They have a really young team and their rebuild is doing really good.

5. A couple of NHL teams tried the chrome helmet look, but for most of them it is pretty awful. So, chrome blue can look good, but matte blue is more of a safe choice in my opinion.

6. 1-New York Rangers, 2-New Jersey Devils, 3-New York Islanders, 4-Philadelphia Flyers.

On 1/27/2024 at 9:52 PM, animal74 said:

1. I think that the season has been a mixed bag so far, but we've found a bit more consistency as the season has gone on. We need to get on a bit of a solid run to catch up to the group in front of us, but I think that with continued development we are capable of doing that.

2. In the brief time since we made the changes to the powerplay, we're 5 for 26 (19.2%) on the powerplay, including 4 for 16 (25%) over our last 4 games, so maybe there are signs of the powerplay coming around. If not, we'll make some more changes to the personnel and hope to find a better mix.

3. I'd see how the sims go until Friday before we head into the weekend. If we continue to play better than we were early on, I'd stay the course. If we fall off at all, alternatives may need to be looked at. It's a pretty big week for our group here.

4. I'll give one good and one bad surprise. Moscow has made a huge jump (15th to 4th) in the overall standings from last season, while Davos has made a big drop (1st to 15th).

5. Definitely matte blue. I can't say that I'm a large fan of the chrome helmets at all, but I think that the matte ones do have a nice touch to them to make them a little different.

1 - New York Rangers - Keeps the Rangers diagonal look on the front, and has the always nice colour scheme.

2 - Philadelphia Flyers - Stays pretty simple with the Flyers look. I like the way that the sleeve stripe wraps around the back, it's a little different.

3 - New Jersey Devils - Amazing how much different the logo looks taking the circle away from behind it. Not sure that it's an improvement though.

4 - New York Islanders - Not sure how many teams need to try the whole "team nickname on the jersey front" thing before they realize that it doesn't work. At all.

On 1/27/2024 at 11:22 PM, animal74 said:

1.  A bit underwhelming coming off our cup win but as we have seen before anything can happen if we just make the playoffs!

2. We need our squad to focus more on defence and scoring stats to have more puck control in the offensive zone and make our shots count.

3. Management really has to assess what they deem a successful season at this point.  Simon hasn't been kind and we are teetering in the middle.

4. Malmo has been better than expected for sure.

5. Chrome blue! Let's get flashy.

6. Rangers, Devils, Isles, Flyers.  In that order

• 2 weeks later...

1. We're six points back of D.C. for third in the conference. Can we catch them with 11 games left in the season?

2. Our sophomore forwards (Callahan and Machado) have matched their goal totals from last season and set new highs in points. What has impressed you most about each one's progress this season?

3. Bobby Bob needs 11 assists in the last 11 games to become only the third Legion player to reach 60 assists in the last 10 season. Will he reach it?

4. Will one of our goalies get another shutout this season?

5. Do you have an embarrassing Valentine's Day story?

6. Who is your pick to win the Super Bowl - Chiefs or 49ers?

1. We're six points back of D.C. for third in the conference. Can we catch them with 11 games left in the season? We definitely can. We're starting to cook mofackles.

2. Our sophomore forwards (Callahan and Machado) have matched their goal totals from last season and set new highs in points. What has impressed you most about each one's progress this season? Persistence. We've had some ups and downs this season but they've kept their heads up and kept playing hard and earning.

3. Bobby Bob needs 11 assists in the last 11 games to become only the third Legion player to reach 60 assists in the last 10 season. Will he reach it? He probably won't but that's because our team is quite balanced.

4. Will one of our goalies get another shutout this seasonWe definitely will. Our goalies have huge dongs.

5. Do you have an embarrassing Valentine's Day story? I remember buying some stupid gift in college for a girl and i never gave it to her. It was super lame, like some heart locket or some shit.

6. Who is your pick to win the Super Bowl - Chiefs or 49ers? Chiefs even though if both teams crash on the team buses and die beforehand i think that'd be the best outcome.

On 2/10/2024 at 1:48 AM, animal74 said:

1. We're six points back of D.C. for third in the conference. Can we catch them with 11 games left in the season?

2. Our sophomore forwards (Callahan and Machado) have matched their goal totals from last season and set new highs in points. What has impressed you most about each one's progress this season?

3. Bobby Bob needs 11 assists in the last 11 games to become only the third Legion player to reach 60 assists in the last 10 season. Will he reach it?

1. We're now 6 points back with 5 games to go, so I think we're pretty much locked into the spot that we're in now. We've still got one more head to head game, so it's not impossible though!

2. In terms of my own game, I'm pleased with the increase in shots and hits this year to be more involved in the game. For Diego, he's been such a victim of bad shooting luck this season. To be able to top his goal total from last season (21 vs 18) while dealing with that bad shooting luck is definitely impressive. I see a huge spike in numbers coming for next season, since the increase in shots this year (324 vs 187) will likely mean more opportunities for goals and points next season.

3. Since this presser he now needs 6 in the last 5 games. I say that he can do it!

4. Yep, I think we've got one more in us left for the season. We've got 7 now, why not finish with 8 instead?

5. Nope, but that's mostly because my wife and I usually spend a quiet Valentine's Day together at home watching a movie or playing board games together. Thankfully not much of a chance for embarrassment. 

6. My guess for the game was 20-17 for the 49ers, so I was off on score and the team winner.

On 2/10/2024 at 3:18 AM, animal74 said:

1. Not possible anymore but we made the playoffs so thats all that matters!

2. Their continuous training, as well as progressing in the locker room.  Both have been great teammates.

3. 5 in 2 games now seems even less likely but its possible.

4. Yes! It's been a strange season for our goalies but both have had some super solid games.

5. Nah, don't really recall many recent valentine's days either because the last 3 years everything has been shut down for snow days lol.

6. CHIEFS BABY.. damn these questions aged poorly 😅

1. We will be playing the New York Americans in a play-in series. We were 2-4 against them. What do we have to do to beat them?

2. Our captain Mac Atlas @v.2  scored his 200th goal in Legion blue for 10th all-time. In three more seasons, how many more can he score?

3. Who will score our first goal of the playoffs?

4. With Evan Bihler playing so well, do you think he should start in net for the playoffs?

5. Finish this Valentine's Day card: Roses are red, the Legion are blue...

6. Which teams do you think will make the next big trade in the NHL?

1. We will be playing the New York Americans in a play-in series. We were 2-4 against them. What do we have to do to beat them? Just step our game up. We're capable. We're rested. We're ready. Our series win is fucking inevitable.

2. Our captain Mac Atlas @v.2 scored his 200th goal in Legion blue for 10th all-time. In three more seasons, how many more can he score? he'll get to 300 goals for sure. Guy has a julio franco sized dong.

3. Who will score our first goal of the playoffs? Lattimer. I'm going to announce my presence with authority and help us get off to a good start and support my team.

4. With Evan Bihler playing so well, do you think he should start in net for the playoffs? Always ride the hot hand in hockey, always.

5. Finish this Valentine's Day card: Roses are red, the Legion are blue... the americans suck donkey dick, and so do you

6. Which teams do you think will make the next big trade in the NHL? I have no earthly idea, hopefully not the Capitals though.

On 2/14/2024 at 1:50 PM, animal74 said:

1. We will be playing the New York Americans in a play-in series. We were 2-4 against them. What do we have to do to beat them?

2. Our captain Mac Atlas @v.2  scored his 200th goal in Legion blue for 10th all-time. In three more seasons, how many more can he score?

3. Who will score our first goal of the playoffs?

4. With Evan Bihler playing so well, do you think he should start in net for the playoffs?

5. Finish this Valentine's Day card: Roses are red, the Legion are blue...

6. Which teams do you think will make the next big trade in the NHL?

1. Well, I'm a little late on this now, but we were stronger the last 3 games against them than the first 3, so I thought we had a decent chance.

2. I think that Mac will cross the 300 mark by the time that he's ready to retire, and it will be a well-earned career accomplishment for the Legion.

3. Can't remember who it was, but my pick would have been Mac.

4. Great backup season for Bihler, but I trust our starter to continue to get the job done for us.

5. Last year we were Champs, now let's go for two!

6. I'll say the Flames, they seem to be in selling mode now. More bodies on the way out the door seems likely.

1. Here we are! Back in the Conference Final for the third straight season! How many games will the series go?

2. What has been your favorite memory of this playoff run so far?

3. Who has been our playoff MVP so far?

4. If we make it to the Final, who would you prefer to play - London United or Helsinki Titans?

5. Do you have any routines or superstitions that you're following during the playoffs?

6. Which is your breakfast cereal of choice?

. Here we are! Back in the Conference Final for the third straight season! How many games will the series go? 6 games. Toronto closes out at home. Everyone gets drunk afterwards.

2. What has been your favorite memory of this playoff run so far? Getting the game winner in one of the games last series. I want to earn my keep, and think I did in that moment.

3. Who has been our playoff MVP so far? No one. Everyone. We're all stepping up.

4. If we make it to the Final, who would you prefer to play - London United or Helsinki Titans? It doesn't matter. Want to play the best and beat the best, but not get too far ahead of ourselves. Task at hand is all that matters.

5. Do you have any routines or superstitions that you're following during the playoffs? Wear my wristband and pads the exact same way and dress the exact same process. 

6. Which is your breakfast cereal of choice? Granola with raisins. Amazing.

On 2/23/2024 at 5:22 PM, animal74 said:

1. Here we are! Back in the Conference Final for the third straight season! How many games will the series go?

4. If we make it to the Final, who would you prefer to play - London United or Helsinki Titans?

5. Do you have any routines or superstitions that you're following during the playoffs?

3. I have to go with Jimi Jaks, he has 21 points in 15 games and he is leading the team in assists and points. 

4. Sadly we are not going to make it to the final, but it would have been nice to play against Helsinki once again.

5. I always dress in the same order and I always listen to the same music.

I know the answer i don't like the ending :(

Making it to the NA finals for the 2nd time in my career.

Jimi for sure!

Would have been nice to play Helsinki back to back years.

PBJ sandwich pre game is a must.

I'm a sucker for corn flakes. 

On 2/23/2024 at 5:22 PM, animal74 said:

1. Not nearly as many as I hoped it would. DC has been on a hell of a run, but I was hoping that we'd be able to push them further than 5 games.

2. Probably just winning the Calgary series. I don't think that many people were giving us much of a chance in that series, but we came out with our best and got the job done

3. I think the MVP of our run this year had to be Jimi Jaks. Led the forward group offensively and had some big goals along the way. Big shout outs to Lattimer for having 3 GWG's in the playoffs, and Bob for being the consistent offensive star of the blueline as well.

4. Don't care much to pick opponents, I find that you always and up in a "careful what you wish for" situation there. The stronger narrative would have been Helsinki for the rematch from last season if it had happened.

5. Just the usual stuff getting ready for games. Can't break up the gameday routines at any point.

6. Reese's Puffs. Love me some Reese's in pretty much anything, so give me the cereal as well.

1. We fell short of our goal but it was a good season! What accomplishment (team or individual) are you most proud of this season?

2. What grade would you give your playoff (A-F)?

3. What skill are you going to work on in the off-season?

4. What is an individual goal you are setting for yourself for S93?

5. With our returning forward core and Bob, Fitzroy and Castle all back how many points do you think we can get next season?

6. You have a ticket to anywhere for a week to escape winter. Where are you going?

1. We fell short of our goal but it was a good season! What accomplishment (team or individual) are you most proud of this season?
We made a good playoff run even though we had a really rough start!

a solid B-

need more goals for how many shots i took lol. 

80+ points and another championship with the Legion!

5. With our returning forward core and Bob, Fitzroy and Castle all back how many points do you think we can get next season?

6. You have a ticket to anywhere for a week to escape winter. Where are you going?
Portugal! 

We fell short of our goal but it was a good season! What accomplishment (team or individual) are you most proud of this season? I'm proud of making the playoffs. Sounds basic but it was very big for me personally.

2. What grade would you give your playoff (A-F)? A. I think I did pretty well and contributed to us winning. A- though because ultimtaely we did not win it all.

3. What skill are you going to work on in the off-season? Whatever my coaches tell me to!

4. What is an individual goal you are setting for yourself for S93? All star? and above all else, champion.

5. With our returning forward core and Bob, Fitzroy and Castle all back how many points do you think we can get next season? Champion. We're on the doorstep.

6. You have a ticket to anywhere for a week to escape winter. Where are you going? If all expenses were paid? Maldives? Grand Cayman?

13 hours ago, animal74 said:

1. Upsetting Calgary in the playoffs was the high point for me. I think that a few people wrote us off a little too quickly, it was nice to see us prove some people wrong.

2. I'll say a B-. I had a better stats profile for these playoffs than the Cup run year, but we weren't playing for a title, so can't quite grade the playoffs too high.

3. My next attributes to upgrade are DK, SH, SP, SS, and WS. I'm pretty happy where the others are at right now, but those are what's left of the plan that I made for my player.

4. I would like to be a better contributor offensively next season, and I'm hoping that I can continue to progress in that area. For those reasons, I'm hoping to be able to top 40 goals next season after 24 as a rookie and 30 as a sophomore. I'd also like to top 500 shots after coming up just short at 489 this season.

5. I think that we're an 88 point team next season.

6. Gotta be somewhere warm, so give me a beach in Barbados. Would be nice to just relax somewhere and shut the brain off for a bit.

On 3/4/2024 at 1:07 AM, animal74 said:

4. I would love to have at least a point per game for the first time in my career.

5. I think we have a better team than last season, so I believe we can reach the 90 points.

6. There are a lot of destinations I would like to visit, but since I love history, I would go to Italy or Germany

1. What trophy do you think is missing from the VHL Awards?

2. Which team will win World Cup gold?

3. How would you design a Legion third jersey?

4. If you could change the overtime/shootout format, what would you do?

5. What is your least favorite part of off-season training?

6. What book/movie have you read/watched recently that you would recommend to your teammates?

1. What trophy do you think is missing from the VHL Awards? Player who looks best without their shirt off. Sadly it won't be me

2. Which team will win World Cup gold? Russia. Stacked left and right. I have no idea if they're in the world cup but let's go with them.

3. How would you design a Legion third jersey? I'd almost make the Legion look like the Sentinels in Xmen Days of Future Past. Those shits looked awesome

4. If you could change the overtime/shootout format, what would you do? I think the format is good as it stands!

5. What is your least favorite part of off-season training? Just not knowing the schedule and what happens when, when I should be paying attention and what not. That's on me though, not the league.

6. What book/movie have you read/watched recently that you would recommend to your teammates? The Sound of Metal was really good. 

1. What trophy do you think is missing from the VHL Awards? I honestly have no clue what awards are in VHL. However,  maybe we could go with something out of the ordinary.  Best secondary skill that doesn’t deal with hockey?  Do they give awards for best updater too?

2. Which team will win World Cup gold?  I have no clue what the World Cup is?  Is this like the WBC?  If so my vote is and will always be for me new home country of the United States. Why?  Because why not?

3. How would you design a Legion third jersey? The logo really reminds me of the Romulons.  I think we should play off that and go with that nice dark green.  These uniforms could be very imposing.

4. If you could change the overtime/shootout format, what would you do? Keep the way it is just like regulation.  The players get paid millions to play they can deal with it.  If the fans don’t like how long it is then go home or stop watching.  These games aren’t life and death.  If you stop enjoying it go do something else.

5. What is your least favorite part of off-season training? No games.  It gets boring when nothing to set your goals on.  You only need so much rest,  let’s not drags things out and get going!

6. What book/movie have you read/watched recently that you would recommend to your teammates? The only books and movies I read/watch are kids movies now with my toddler.  The only thing I can suggest is the new Paw Patrol movie that just came out.  It was a barking good time though.

45 minutes ago, animal74 said:

1. What trophy do you think is missing from the VHL Awards?

2. Which team will win World Cup gold?

3. How would you design a Legion third jersey?

4. If you could change the overtime/shootout format, what would you do?

5. What is your least favorite part of off-season training?

6. What book/movie have you read/watched recently that you would recommend to your teammates?

1. I think that the VHL needs a graphics award, which would be more member based than player performance based. There are some people who are great at designing graphics, and I think they need to be acknowledged.

2. Definitely Canada. GM'd and backstopped by Legion players is a recipe for success!! 

3. I'd probably invert the colours from the home jersey. I'm more a fan of traditional looks, so I wouldn't want to stray too far from our regular set.

4. 10 minutes of 3 on 3 overtime, and if it's still tied after that, the game ends in a tie.

5. The lack of games to focus on while trying to get better. It's difficult to stay excited about just getting in reps for the sake of reps, always nice to have the games to follow along with while doing it.

6. Just re-watched The Prestige last night, always recommend that one. If you haven't seen Jojo Rabbit, do yourself a favour and watch that too.