Toronto Legion Weekly Presser

On 10/11/2023 at 1:28 PM, animal74 said:

:tor: Toronto Legion Press Conference :tor:

(2 TPE for answering all six questions)

1. What has been your favorite memory of this playoff run so far?

2. What has been your favorite moment from the regular season?

3. Who do you think has been Toronto's MVP of the playoffs so far?

4. What is your favorite thing about autumn?

5. What change would you like to see the league make regarding standardizing rosters?

6. Which member of the Prague Phantoms has impressed you the most this postseason?

1. It was probably when we won game 7 of the series against the Vancouver Wolves after being down 3-2 in the series.

2. Definitly when I signed my contract with the Toronto Legion, I am really happy to stay with the team for the next three seasons!

3. Without a doubt, it is Evan Bihler. Indeed, he lead the league in save percentage and goal against average in the playoff, so he is our MVP.

• 2 weeks later...

1. What is one goal you have for yourself for S91?

2. Do you think Toronto will make the playoffs again in S91?

3. What area did you work on the most this off-season?

4. Who's your preseason pick to win the Continental Cup?

5. Who's your preseason pick to lead the Legion in points?

6. Who's your preseason pick to lead the Legion in goals?

3 minutes ago, animal74 said:

1. Try to improve consistently throughout the season and be a contributor as the season goes on.

2. I think that we're positioned well to make the playoffs with enough solid players returning, as well as lots of strength in net!

3. Defense and Puck Handling are the 2 attributes that I've put most of my extra TPE that I had saved up into.

4. I think the battle for the Cup might come down to LA and Davos, although the smart money would be on Toronto.

5. Gonna go with Mac Atlas here. Top line forward coming off a strong season last year will carry the offensive load for us.

6. I'll take Mac Atlas for this one as well, though I think this one will be a tight race between Atlas and Sogaard.

On 10/29/2023 at 12:27 AM, animal74 said:

1. My goal for S91 is to elevate my game to an all-star level and be a leader on and off the ice for my team.
  2. I believe in our team's hard work and dedication. Yes, Toronto will make the playoffs again in S91.
  3. I worked on my shot accuracy and power during the off-season, aiming to contribute more goals.
  4. This is too close to call at this point. I can't make a prediction without seeing some of these teams in action. 
  5. For leading the Legion in points, I'd bet on our playmaker who's looking sharp—Lavelle
  6. As for goals, I see the sharpshooter Mac Atlas taking that spot. His off-season training has been intense.

On 10/29/2023 at 12:27 AM, animal74 said:

1. I have a lot of goals, because I want to prove that I am one of the best defenseman in the league. My main goal would be to finish top 10 in points among the defensemen.

2. Not only we are going to make the playoffs, I believe we have a chance to win the Cup this season.

3. I mainly continued to work on my offensive side of the game, but I still want to be good in my own zone.

On 10/28/2023 at 11:27 PM, animal74 said:

1. Score more goals and play better defense. I'd like to work on my two-way game and potentially challenge for the Boulet.

2. It's looking dicey right now but we have  good group. We just need to pull a streak together and get right back in the hunt.

3. Definitely my shot and defensive coverage. I worked with our assistant coach on positioning and man coverage in our own zone. I also felt like a better shot would help us score more.

4. I put in my predictions that LA will take it. They have a pretty stacked roster that works together.

5. Our captain Atlas - he has the highest ceiling of us all.

6. I think Atlas is in the running for this as well - he is more of a shooting center anyways.

1. We started slow and have slowly worked our way up the standings. Can we catch the top two teams LA and Chicago?

2. After leading the league in OT/SO losses last year, we have yet to lose in the SO (3 wins). What have we done better?

3. What do you have to say about our rookies, Callahan (27 points T-3rd), Machado (16 pts) and Fitzroy Jr (15pts)?

4. If you could rock one VHL jersey in real life, which one would you choose?

5. Tomas Sogaard is currently 3rd in the VHL in hits (144). Does he have a shot at a Scout Boulet nomination?

6. What's the best hockey game you've watched this season (any league)?

Edited by animal74

7 minutes ago, animal74 said:

1. We started slow and have slowly worked our way up the standings. Can we catch the top two teams LA and Chicago?

2. After leading the league in OT/SO losses last year, we have yet to lose in the SO (3 wins). What have we done better?

3. What do you have to say about our rookies, Callahan (27 points T-3rd), Machado (16 pts) and Fitzroy Jr (15pts)?

5. Tomas Sogaard is currently 3rd in the VHL in hits (144). Does he have a shot at a Scout Boulet nomination?

1. I definitely think that it's early enough in the season to keep improving and close the gap with the top 2 teams in the division.

2. Our sacrifices to Simon have clearly paid off this season, it's important to know what the sim gods value in a sacrifice.

3. All three have been valuable contributors so far, which has helped offset some of the losses in the off-season. Nice to see that handsome gentleman in there working his way up the rookie scoring list.

4. Probably a Malmo jersey, I love the colour combination. 

5. Absolutely! The combination of the defensive ability and being almost a point per game player should keep Sogaard in that conversation this season. 

6. Leafs were in Tampa Bay earlier this year and dug out of a 3-1 hole to come back and win 4-3 in Overtime. The comeback was fun.

1 hour ago, animal74 said:

1. Hoping Chicago crashes and burns soon but they've been on quite the convincing run.  Sadly I think our slow start keeps us behind LA.

2. I think our defence has tightened up a bit in front of Joel and bounces having been as unlucky as they were for the majority of last season in extra time.

3. Callahan has been sensational!  I believe his ceiling is quite high so it'll be fun to watch him develop more as the season goes on.  Machado and Fitzroy are killing it too, Machado had a really hot start and is holding it down on that 2nd line with Sogaard.  Fitzroy still being fairly young and inexperienced is clear but he has been holding his own in the majors.

4. Josh Vestiquan's Seattle Bears jersey.

5. Old man Sogaard can for sure take a nice little run at the Boulet this year!

6. Every Canucks VS Oilers game has been a delight to watch so far.

• 2 weeks later...

1. What was the most impressive aspect of our 14-game win streak?

2. We are now four points back of the LA Stars. Will we overtake them?

3. Needing 15 goals in 18 games, will Mac Atlas make it to 50 goals?

4. What is your favorite Thanksgiving dish?

5. What is the most overplayed Christmas carol?

6. What's the best thing that goes with peanut butter?

28 minutes ago, animal74 said:

1. Definitely the goaltending. Joel and Evan were both fantastic, and were the primary reason for the streak in my opinion.

2. I hope so, with no head to head games left, we need to focus on winning our games and hope that we get help elsewhere.

3. Mac is definitely capable of getting there, would be nice to reach that milestone this season. If it's close at the end of the regular season, would love to see an ice time boost to get there.

4. We have this broccoli and cheese casserole that is absolutely delicious for the major holidays.

5. Definitely not the one that everyone is likely to say. I love Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You", and could listen to it on repeat.

6. Chocolate. I love me some Reese's.

On 11/28/2023 at 1:12 AM, animal74 said:

1. Everyone played really good and even if, on paper, we don't have the best defense in the league, we were great in our own zone.

2. At the time of writing these lines, we aree only three point behind LA, so I believe we will overtake them.

3. It will be very though, but I believe in him and I know he can do a lot of great things.

4. I live in Quebec, so I don't really celebrate Thanksgiving, it would probably be a meat pie (I am not sure if it is even a Thanksgiving dish)

5. There is only one answer here and it is : All I want for Christmas is you.

6. Again, only one good asnwer, Strawberry jam

Edited by Baby Boomer

1. What is your prediction for our series against Chicago (winner, # of games)?

2. Which Legion will score Toronto's first goal of the playoffs?

3. What grade would you give your regular season (A-F)?

4. Do you think we can make it to the Continental Cup Final?

5. What is your favorite Christmas gift you got as a kid?

6. What are you asking Santa for this Christmas?

7 hours ago, animal74 said:

1. What is your prediction for our series against Chicago (winner, # of games)?

2. Which Legion will score Toronto's first goal of the playoffs?

3. What grade would you give your regular season (A-F)?

4. Do you think we can make it to the Continental Cup Final?

5. What is your favorite Christmas gift you got as a kid?

6. What are you asking Santa for this Christmas?

1. I can't very well go ahead and predict us to lose, that would be very uncool. I will say that we pull it off in a tight 7 games. The regular season series was as tight as can be, the playoff series very well could be as well.

2. I'll take the easy answer and say that our captain and leading scorer from the regular season, Mac Atlas will score the first. Selfishly, I'd love to be the first one to score though.

3. I'll give myself a B+. I would have liked to have contributed more on the offensive side, but being able to play top line minutes and be a positive defensively is something that I'm happy with this season.

4. I think we're capable of going all the way for sure. Our defensive and goaltending strength should play well in the playoffs, I think we're right there with the best teams.

5. I got a GameBoy Colour when I was younger from my grandpa. He wrapped it in a big box of towels to keep it hidden, so it was an awesome surprise.

6. More time would be great! Somehow I don't think that's an option, so I'm hoping for some books and some new shoes!

1. Here we are, the rematch against LA. What is your prediction for our series against the Stars (winner, # of games)?

2. Which Legion will score Toronto's first goal in the series?

3. What surprised you the most about our sweep of Chicago in the first round?

4. Who do you think was our MVP of the first round?

5. What is your favorite outside winter activity?

6. When is the earliest date Christmas lights should be turned on?

1. Game 5 tonight. What's your predicted score?

2. Which Legion will score our first goal tonight?

3. What did you like best about our two 4-2 victories in Games 3 & 4?

4. What part of your game do you feel you need to elevate?

5. What food do you slide by during Christmas dinner and not put on your plate?

6. Do you believe in Santa Claus?

1. Game 5 tonight. What's your predicted score?

Idk I smell a legion win though ;)

2. Which Legion will score our first goal tonight?

Mac for sure.

3. What did you like best about our two 4-2 victories in Games 3 & 4?

Our awesome tendy holding down the fort. 

4. What part of your game do you feel you need to elevate?

My goal scoring for sure.

5. What food do you slide by during Christmas dinner and not put on your plate?

Vegies Christmas is not for the healthy food lol. 

6. Do you believe in Santa Claus?

Only if i win the lottery.

1. We did it!! Toronto Legion, S91 Continental Cup Champions. How does that statement make you feel?

2. What was your initial reaction when you found out we had won the Continental Cup?

3. Who would be you pick for MVP of the S91 playoffs?

4. What do you think our biggest need going into the off-season is?

5. Former Legion (for his final season) Ronan Lavelle @Arce has been inducted into the VHL Hall of Fame. What words do you have for him?

6. What's your drink of choice to celebrate New Year's?

11 minutes ago, animal74 said:

1. We did it!! Toronto Legion, S91 Continental Cup Champions. How does that statement make you feel?

2. What was your initial reaction when you found out we had won the Continental Cup?

5. Former Legion (for his final season) Ronan Lavelle @Arce has been inducted into the VHL Hall of Fame. What words do you have for him?

1. It still feels pretty surreal! I know that a lot of players go an entire career without winning a Championship, so to win one in my rookie year is very fortunate.

2. I was watching the stream when it happened, so there was a good bit of hooting and hollering when I saw the result pop up on the screen. Even cooler that it ended up coming in overtime.

3. I'd have to go with co-MVP's for Captain Mac and the brick wall in net Joel. They both deserve the MVP honours, it should be shared.

4. I think we're a bit thin on the blueline at the moment, that would likely be my first priority. It looks like we're getting a good chunk of the forwards back though, save for Tomas Sogaard's retirement.

5. I missed getting to play with Ronan by a season, but it was an amazing final year in Toronto, and an end of a phenomenal career. The deserving induction to the Hall of Fame is a perfect capper to a great career.

6. My favourite drink is Disaronno mixed with some Dr. Pepper, so that's as good a drink as any for me to celebrate with!

I'm pretty impartial, to be honest. When I was growing up, Toronto was definitely a punching bag there for a little while, always stuck behind Vancouver and Seattle. Being European, of course I'm always cheering for that conference to take home the cup, but congratulations are definitely due, good for them for sure. 

Again, I was more focused on our own playoff run, as we were playing the finals around the same time. I actually didn't see they had won it until a few days later due to all the partying we were doing over here in Saskatoon.

It's hard... I don't want to default to winning goalie, but man are Castle's stats good. But then again, Atlas almost averaging 2 points/game all playoffs long? It's next to impossible to make a choice, but one of those two. BOG voters will probably go with someone out of left field though.

Rest. My dad, who was a pro in Slovakia, always said that long playoff runs were the main reason he didn't play as long as he would have liked. It's hard on the body and mind, so take the shortened off-season, party hard the next few days here, and then try and rest up for the repeat. 

Many congratulations to him. I owned a Lavelle D.C. Dragons jersey growing up, so that's where I'll always remember him. But being inducted is a great accomplishment, and I can't even think of what that honour must mean.

Depends where I am. Out, probably vodka and 7up, but if I'm at home I'd probably prefer a rum and coke.

• 2 weeks later...

1. What was your fondest memory of the Cup parade through Toronto?

2. What area are you going to be focusing on improving this off-season?

3. Do you feel there were any snubs at the VHL awards?

4. What do you think our biggest strength and weakness will be this season?

5. With all the discussion about league improvements, what one thing would you change about the league?

6. What is the best use for snow?

50 minutes ago, animal74 said:

1. What was your fondest memory of the Cup parade through Toronto?

2. What area are you going to be focusing on improving this off-season?

3. Do you feel there were any snubs at the VHL awards?

4. What do you think our biggest strength and weakness will be this season?

5. With all the discussion about league improvements, what one thing would you change about the league?

6. What is the best use for snow?

1. I'm not very sure, my player passed out drunk on the bus and woke up 2 weeks later in Edmonton. Having arrived back in Toronto, it sounds like everybody had fun.

2. My plan is to continue to develop my defense and puck handling attributes first, and if I can get them both raised enough, I want to look to increase scoring as well. 

3. The fact that a Legion player didn't win every award is an outrage and a scandal. The plans to lodge protests on all awards that weren't won by a Legion player are already in motion.

4. I think that we need another couple of forwards to fill out the group, and it wouldn't hurt to grab a fourth blueliner. I think that part of our strength last season was having a deep blueline in front of our amazing goalies, so that would help. 

5. The need to hang onto new recruits and progress them along from new players to long-term members is a large one, and I think that we can do a better job of checking in with them to make sure that they're coming along well in their first season.

6. I'd go with on a hill to ski or snowboard on. Either that, or in cone form with syrup.

• 3 weeks later...

1. What do you think of the move to bring in Lattimer and Caufield Jr?

2. What grade do you give your performance this season so far?

3. We currently sit at 11-11-2 with an uncharacteristic -9 goal differential. What not working for us?

4. Do you think we're suffering from Cup hangover?

5. What song/album do you have on repeat right now?

6. What is your best story about 40 degrees C (104 F) or -40 C (-40 F)?

10 hours ago, animal74 said:

1. What do you think of the move to bring in Lattimer and Caufield Jr?

2. What grade do you give your performance this season so far?

3. We currently sit at 11-11-2 with an uncharacteristic -9 goal differential. What not working for us?

4. Do you think we're suffering from Cup hangover?

5. What song/album do you have on repeat right now?

6. What is your best story about 40 degrees C (104 F) or -40 C (-40 F)?

1. Good to address the Bot situation on the roster, it definitely helps keep us more consistent with the players on the ice. Trading Caufield for Wallace helps upgrade that further.

2. I'd give myself a C so far. I haven't been able to progress offensively this season from my rookie year, but I've been steady defensively. Hopefully it starts to improve, maybe I need to focus more on improving my offensive attributes.

3. I think that we were getting caved in by our bots early on in the season. The bots were -6 and -7, so it definitely wasn't helping us defensively. The line without the bots is +3 or better, so it should balance out now that we're not playing bots.

4. No, I just think that we're finding our way. We lost some pretty key players in the off-season that contributed to our Championship last season, replacing them has been a process that continues.

5. I've been listening to the Blazing Saddles soundtrack lately, and also the Walk Hard soundtrack. Both are fantastic movies, and Walk Hard has a surprisingly good song base.

6. I don't really have a story about the extreme temperatures, but I can come close to the extreme cold. We went on a family trip in the middle of December years ago from Ontario to Florida. As you can imagine in the middle of December, it was very cold while leaving. We were still excited for the trip, so we all left the house in shorts to head to the airport. The people in Florida all looked at us like we were crazy because it was cold by their standards, so they were all wearing sweaters and jackets while we were wearing shorts and tees.

1. What do you think of the move to bring in Lattimer and Caufield Jr? I mean I'm Lattimer, so I think this is a huge W, haha. In all honestly, I'm pumped to be here and playing for a team that I think values me as a player and as a person.

2. What grade do you give your performance this season so far? B. I think the proof will be on how I perform on a real contender. I'm excited for the opportunity to contribute however the team needs and wants me to.

3. We currently sit at 11-11-2 with an uncharacteristic -9 goal differential. What not working for us? I think it's just a malaise. The trades will infuse life and energy into our team and into our skates.

4. Do you think we're suffering from Cup hangover?  I hope not! It's to be expected but perhaps that's thy the midseason trades were so important. Never settle for what's already in the rear view.

5. What song/album do you have on repeat right now? Swept Away by Avett Brothers

6. What is your best story about 40 degrees C (104 F) or -40 C (-40 F)? There are no good stories other than playing a doubleheader in baseball in 104 temp.