Toronto Legion Weekly Presser

On 7/8/2024 at 8:16 PM, dstevensonjr said:

:tor: Toronto Legion Press Conference :tor:

(2 TPE for answering all six questions)

1. The playoffs are here, and we've got Vancouver in the first round. Who is the biggest threat that we have to shut down on their roster?

2. What did your player do during the break between the end of the regular season and the start of this round?

3. What are you happiest about your players regular season?

4. Who is an actor/actress that you'll watch pretty much anything that they show up in?

5. Diego Machado just signed an extension with the Legion, becoming the latest player to extend all the way until retirement. How special is it that we have so many good players willing to stay together for the long haul?

6. What are your favourite pizza toppings?

1- I am a little late, because we already swept the Vancouver Wolves, but if you want an honest answer to your question, I think that no one was really a treat for us in this series.

2- He kept practicing and playing hockey. The season is not over and in fact, the real season is just starting, so we have to be ready to play against the best teams in the league.

3- Well... I had the biggest season of my career and I finished first in points among defenseman, so I would say that this is what makes me happy about my player.

4- tough question, but I think Adam Sandler.

5- I think it just shows how healthy and nice our locker room is. Everyone wants to stay because we are doing good on and outside the ice.

6- Bacon and Cheese, a good pizza needs a lot of cheese.

1. The playoffs are here, and we've got Vancouver in the first round. Who is the biggest threat that we have to shut down on their roster?

The Biggest threat now is the team we meet from Europe. 

2. What did your player do during the break between the end of the regular season and the start of this round?

Drink beer

3. What are you happiest about your players regular season?

50 g's baby

4. Who is an actor/actress that you'll watch pretty much anything that they show up in?

Henry Cavill

5. Diego Machado just signed an extension with the Legion, becoming the latest player to extend all the way until retirement. How special is it that we have so many good players willing to stay together for the long haul?

been a contending team my whole career why would anyone leave 

6. What are your favourite pizza toppings?
Im a basic man bacon pep

1. The Legion need 4 more wins to win our second Continental Cup in four seasons. What's it going to take to beat Moscow or Riga?

2. Did you see the original Twister from 1996, and will you be seeing the new Twisters "sequel"?

3. Joel Castle is looking like the early favourite for Legion Playoff MVP. Can anybody else catch him?

4. Any big plans for the off-season coming up?

5. Moscow or Riga, who are we going to face in the Cup Final?

6. What is your favourite Mel Brooks movie? If you don't have one, you've got to get on that.

39 minutes ago, dstevensonjr said:

1. The Legion need 4 more wins to win our second Continental Cup in four seasons. What's it going to take to beat Moscow or Riga?

2. Did you see the original Twister from 1996, and will you be seeing the new Twisters "sequel"?

3. Joel Castle is looking like the early favourite for Legion Playoff MVP. Can anybody else catch him?

6. What is your favourite Mel Brooks movie? If you don't have one, you've got to get on that.

1.  Looking at last few games I'd say Riga is gonna win but both are good teams.  I think y'all are gonna need to do the same as you did against Van and Sea.  Great defense and hot goalie.  I still think neither of those teams compare to Toronto though.  

2. Yes I did and loved it. I will watch the new one too

3. Nope.  He has been amazing 

4. Counting the damn days until season starts again I guess.  working on getting may FO TPE up which sucks

5.  Riga

6. Young Frankenstein or Spaceballs

4 hours ago, dstevensonjr said:

1. We have to limit their chances and not have any defensive lapses. Our special teams have to play really well and of course, Castle has to stop more pucks than the other guy.

2. Yeah, I saw it way back. I'll probably see the new one at some point. 

3. Well, sure, if we don't win! Obuz Schneider Canet du Bocage with Moscow is having a great playoffs and others on their team are too. Riga's Red Panda is also playing really well and will have a shot if they advance.

4. Nope. Taking a season to rejuvenate IRL and then recreate for the S96(?) draft.

5. I'm thinking Riga can close it out tonight.

6. Robin Hood: Men in Tights

20 hours ago, dstevensonjr said:

1. Four more wins... no matter what.  That's what it'll take.  This team can do it!!!!

2. I have not and don't plan to see the new one, not really the type of movie I like.

3. I think Castle is primed for another MVP playoff cup run.  Let's hope it plays out!

4. Not really, earn as much as possible to fight against that final depreciation hit.  Old man Atlas is fizzling out but hopefully with a bang!

5. Looks like we got Moscow! I was ok with either opponent but honestly didn't expect Moscow to make it here after an abysmal regular season where they underperformed.

6. I guess I've got to get on that.  I heard Spaceballs was super funny though.

1. I'm a little late but I was really hoping Toronto would go to the end and win it

2. I've watched it plenty of times when I was young even if it got me terrified of tornadoes at the time, so definitely will be watching the new one

3. With what Castle was doing in the playoffs, I think he deserves/deserved it

4. Getting my player ready for the jump in the VHLE and hopefully be making an impact 

5. Kind of too late for picking now

6. Dracula dead and loving it. I know it's not as popular as others but I really enjoyed it

Edited by Oddpurplefly

I know how this ends and i dont like it 

I have not and probably not unless i find it on netflix or something 

probably not 

Travel for sure 

Moscow 

I cant think of any sorry 

1. We lost the Continental Cup final in 6 games. How do we move on from that loss and get focused on the new season coming up?

2. If you could play one sport during the hockey off-season, what would it be?

3. NFL training camps open this week. Who is your Super Bowl favourite this upcoming season?

4. What attribute(s) are you focusing on training during the off-season?

5. With the recent run of "legacy sequels" in Hollywood, which older franchise would you like to see get a new installment?

6. What do you think would a fun field (ie. Astronomy) to learn as a hobby? (I say Astronomy because that's what I'd like to learn more about).

1. We lost the Continental Cup final in 6 games. How do we move on from that loss and get focused on the new season coming up?

Earn more TPE and Call spartan names in the VHLM GM chat

2. If you could play one sport during the hockey off-season, what would it be?

lacrosse 

3. NFL training camps open this week. Who is your Super Bowl favourite this upcoming season?

Prob the 49ers

4. What attribute(s) are you focusing on training during the off-season?

scoring need more points

5. With the recent run of "legacy sequels" in Hollywood, which older franchise would you like to see get a new installment?

John Carter honestly 

6. What do you think would a fun field (ie. Astronomy) to learn as a hobby? (I say Astronomy because that's what I'd like to learn more about)

Im Currently working on my pilots license so ill say that

1. The VHL Draft goes tonight (Monday), and the Legion are picking at 15. Would you draft for positional need at that pick, or just take the best player available?

2. With the talk of new contracts in pro sports in a world of increasing salary caps, if you were one season away from free agency, would you rather take the sure money ahead of that season or chance a bigger payday the following off-season? As an example, the Dallas Cowboys are trying to extend Dak Prescott for current market value ($50m-$55m per season), but it seems like Dak wants to wait until next off-season for a new deal when QB salaries may eclipse $60m per season.

3. After losing Joel Castle in the off-season to retirement, can Toddly Bobbly carry the load in the crease and pick up where Castle left off?

4. With Robert Downey Jr. being revealed as the casting choice for Victor von Doom in the MCU, which other actor/actress would you like to see come out of retirement to re-join a franchise in a different role?

5. Now that VHL Free Agency has opened, which team has improved the most so far for next season?

6. Have you played any of the Grand Theft Auto games? If so, which ones, and are you hyped for GTA VI coming out next year?

2 hours ago, dstevensonjr said:

1. The VHL Draft goes tonight (Monday), and the Legion are picking at 15. Would you draft for positional need at that pick, or just take the best player available?

I would say positional needs. At 15 players would most likely be around the same level unless they're a player that drops and then would have to jump on the best player. 

2. With the talk of new contracts in pro sports in a world of increasing salary caps, if you were one season away from free agency, would you rather take the sure money ahead of that season or chance a bigger payday the following off-season? As an example, the Dallas Cowboys are trying to extend Dak Prescott for current market value ($50m-$55m per season), but it seems like Dak wants to wait until next off-season for a new deal when QB salaries may eclipse $60m per season.

I would sign now. Financial security. The market may seem like it's going up but it's still unpredictable and worst case scenario it crashes and salaries go down. 

3. After losing Joel Castle in the off-season to retirement, can Toddly Bobbly carry the load in the crease and pick up where Castle left off?

It's a tall order but with the support of the team, I'm sure he will do well

4. With Robert Downey Jr. being revealed as the casting choice for Victor von Doom in the MCU, which other actor/actress would you like to see come out of retirement to re-join a franchise in a different role?

That's a tough one. I'll just throw this out there... Arnold Schwarzenegger😅😂

5. Now that VHL Free Agency has opened, which team has improved the most so far for next season?

I honestly haven't checked the rest of the league. I pretty much only follow the Legion. Besides that I'm looking to get more acquainted with the VHLE rosters and upcoming challenges. 

6. Have you played any of the Grand Theft Auto games? If so, which ones, and are you hyped for GTA VI coming out next year?

I've played them all and all the expansions for IV. I was playing V today too so definitely excited for the new game. 

I would say positional needs. At 15 players would most likely be around the same level unless they're a player that drops and then would have to jump on the best player. 

I would sign now. Financial security. The market may seem like it's going up but it's still unpredictable and worst case scenario it crashes and salaries go down. 

It's a tall order but with the support of the team, I'm sure he will do well

That's a tough one. I'll just throw this out there... Arnold Schwarzenegger

I honestly haven't checked the rest of the league. I pretty much only follow the Legion. Besides that I'm looking to get more acquainted with the VHLE rosters and upcoming challenges. 

I've played them all and all the expansions for IV. I was playing V today too so definitely excited for the new game. 

Edited by Oddpurplefly

It's past the draft but when a team like us are competing and normally trading the future, its always preferred to go with best player available.

It depends on age but I wouldn't risk it, especially in the NFL. It's easy to get injured for the season in the NFL and then not get paid. It makes sense why players are holding out. 

He has some solid games for us last year. It's hard to fill the void that such an impactful player like Castle leaves, but Bobbly has a lot of promise so we hope to see him excel this year.

It would be cool to see Ian McKellen have a cameo on the new Rings of Power series.

I haven't really paid much attention to this to be honest. I'm really excited for the Legion this year so that's all i've been focussing on.

If it comes out next year.. I do love playing those games although I've never beaten it. Maybe this time around I will.

On 7/29/2024 at 9:23 AM, dstevensonjr said:

1. I've always heard draft best possible player so that's what I would do.

2. I'd sign earlier rather than later. So I'd take less money.

3. Maybe not right away but I'll say eventually.

4. I've kinda stopped caring about the MCU, it's been going down hill for a while now, with that said I'll just say a boring pick and go with Chris Evans.

5. I'll say the Americans cause they traded for me!!

6. I have, namely the 6th generation games and GTA 4.

1. The season is upon us! If you could pick one team to open the season against, who would it be?

2. Do you play Fantasy Football at all? If so, how many leagues are you in each season?

3. If you could take any NHL player (past or present) and drop them into our lineup for this season, who would it be and why?

4. Seen any good movies this summer? In theatres or otherwise.

5. What is one statistical goal that you'd like to hit for this season with your player?

6. Would you rather be book smart or street smart?

1. The season is upon us! If you could pick one team to open the season against, who would it be?

Moscow would be a good test. No better way to start than to beat them

2. Do you play Fantasy Football at all? If so, how many leagues are you in each season?

No I don't unfortunately. I follow a bit of CFL and watch the greycup and superbowl but that's about it

3. If you could take any NHL player (past or present) and drop them into our lineup for this season, who would it be and why?

Dominik hasek since Castle retired

4. Seen any good movies this summer? In theatres or otherwise.

Watched the new Beverly hills cop and it was pretty good. Want to see twisters and the new planet of the apes movie

5. What is one statistical goal that you'd like to hit for this season with your player?

Atleast 30 goals and/or 50 points. Trying to stay somewhat realistic going in the VHLE

6. Would you rather be book smart or street smart?

I'd rather be street smart. Book smarts don't always work in real life situations 😅

1. The season is upon us! If you could pick one team to open the season against, who would it be? Moscow, lets get our revenge, that championship should have been ours.

2. Do you play Fantasy Football at all? If so, how many leagues are you in each season? Nope, Id rather control a fake hockey or mainly baseball player.

3. If you could take any NHL player (past or present) and drop them into our lineup for this season, who would it be and why? Steven Stamkos, RIP, you will be greatly missed.

4. Seen any good movies this summer? In theatres or otherwise. Every 80s movie is a good movie.

5. What is one statistical goal that you'd like to hit for this season with your player? More hits, I want 200+ hits the season.

6. Would you rather be book smart or street smart? Book smart, can get further compared to street smart.

1. Jimi Jaks has picked up right where he left off last season with 13 points in the first 8 games of the season. Will he finish the season as our scoring leader again?

2. We've got two players shooting the lights out over 14% right now (Jaks and Toms), and eight players who have been unlucky shooting under 8% (everyone else). What do we need to do to get the struggling skaters going?

3. What is your favourite meal to cook?

4. Despite our shooting woes, we still have the sixth best points percentage in the league. Are we poised for some positive regression in the standings once our shooting normalizes?

5. The talk around the league during the off-season was that we were in trouble in net this season. Through 9 starts, Toddly Bobbly has a .932 save percentage and a 2.27 goals against average. Should that be enough to shut some people up about our goalie?

6. Which tv show has your favourite series finale?

2 minutes ago, dstevensonjr said:

1. Jimi Jaks has picked up right where he left off last season with 13 points in the first 8 games of the season. Will he finish the season as our scoring leader again?

2. We've got two players shooting the lights out over 14% right now (Jaks and Toms), and eight players who have been unlucky shooting under 8% (everyone else). What do we need to do to get the struggling skaters going?

4. Despite our shooting woes, we still have the sixth best points percentage in the league. Are we poised for some positive regression in the standings once our shooting normalizes?

5. The talk around the league during the off-season was that we were in trouble in net this season. Through 9 starts, Toddly Bobbly has a .932 save percentage and a 2.27 goals against average. Should that be enough to shut some people up about our goalie?

1. I believe Jimi Jaks has a good chance to finish the season as our leading scorer, Callahan also has a good chance as well I believe.

2. More Coffee at the Team meetings??? Maybe some Shooter Tutor Lessons(Especially for that Shotzky guy)

3. Mac and Cheese cause I'm honestly just that basic.

4. I believe so, the rookies will see progression.

5. Nah, Todds the Man even though he smells bad.

6. FRIENDS as it was one of the shows I grew up on.

1 hour ago, dstevensonjr said:

1. I believe he can. He definitely is on a hot start

2. I'm not sure. I would say match up playmakers with goalscorers or adding a physical body to give them space

3. Diced beef with veggies and gravy on white rice

4. It's still early in the season. It could go many different ways.

5. He's stepped up and is doing fairly well. I don't think anyone should or could say that the Legion is in trouble

6. Fresh prince of bel air. Finale really hit when the house is empty

1. Jimi Jaks has picked up right where he left off last season with 13 points in the first 8 games of the season. Will he finish the season as our scoring leader again?  Heck yea, the team has only gotten better so he will more support

2. We've got two players shooting the lights out over 14% right now (Jaks and Toms), and eight players who have been unlucky shooting under 8% (everyone else). What do we need to do to get the struggling skaters going? OH I don't know, maybe a team trip to the Mall of America.

3. What is your favourite meal to cook? Hmm, thats a tough one because I have a lot but I have to go with Spanish Bean Soup.  Have had a lot of influence when it comes to Cuban food here in Tampa.

4. Despite our shooting woes, we still have the sixth best points percentage in the league. Are we poised for some positive regression in the standings once our shooting normalizes?  I hope the sim engine will even things out and that will become a positive for us.

5. The talk around the league during the off-season was that we were in trouble in net this season. Through 9 starts, Toddly Bobbly has a .932 save percentage and a 2.27 goals against average. Should that be enough to shut some people up about our goalie? Its still a small sample size but it definitely will help.

6. Which tv show has your favourite series finale? Um...The Office maybe?  I cant really think of many shows that had a good finale.

1. We're officially a third of the way through the season and we sit 1 point back of the lead in the North American Conference and 4 points back of the lead in the VHL. Where do we need to improve to close the gap with those teams?

2. Last season we had 4 players in the top 10 in the VHL in points, this season we have 0 despite all 4 players still being on the roster and no strategic changes. What has gone wrong for us in that area?

3. NHL training camps open in a few weeks. How is your favourite team looking this season?

4. Of the new additions to the VHL roster this season (Kyle Toms, Andrew Skilton, Wayne Shotzky) who has been the most impressive so far?

5. 9 of our 10 skaters have scored on the powerplay so far this season. What has led to the balanced scoring for us with the extra skater?

6. What is your favourite kind of doughnut?

1. We're officially a third of the way through the season and we sit 1 point back of the lead in the North American Conference and 4 points back of the lead in the VHL. Where do we need to improve to close the gap with those teams? We need to outscore teams more.  When you score more goals than the opposing team you tend to win them.

2. Last season we had 4 players in the top 10 in the VHL in points, this season we have 0 despite all 4 players still being on the roster and no strategic changes. What has gone wrong for us in that area? Simon giveth and Simon taketh, nothing we can do about that 

3. NHL training camps open in a few weeks. How is your favourite team looking this season?  Stamkos was allowed to walk so I better expect the team to be better for it.  If not, it should be the GMs head!

4. Of the new additions to the VHL roster this season (Kyle Toms, Andrew Skilton, Wayne Shotzky) who has been the most impressive so far? They have all been amazing and I am glad they are there to carry my sorry butt.

5. 9 of our 10 skaters have scored on the powerplay so far this season. What has led to the balanced scoring for us with the extra skater? As previously mentioned before it is the luck of the sim.  Maybe if we talk sweet nothings to it it will continue to be nice

6. What is your favourite kind of doughnut?  I don't care for doughnuts but my Son says his favorite is Chocolate so we will go with that.

1. We're officially a third of the way through the season and we sit 1 point back of the lead in the North American Conference and 4 points back of the lead in the VHL. Where do we need to improve to close the gap with those teams?

Keep working hard. Anything is possible!

2. Last season we had 4 players in the top 10 in the VHL in points, this season we have 0 despite all 4 players still being on the roster and no strategic changes. What has gone wrong for us in that area?

Maybe it's more spread out throughout the team. I wouldn't say it's something wrong. Everyone can have a lower numbered season. The key is to keep pushing

3. NHL training camps open in a few weeks. How is your favourite team looking this season?

After acquiring Laine and a second rounder for Jordan Harris ( a 7th D ).. I'm pumped

4. Of the new additions to the VHL roster this season (Kyle Toms, Andrew Skilton, Wayne Shotzky) who has been the most impressive so far?

I've been following Skilton since my first season in Halifax and he's been consistently progressing and having a good season to show for it

5. 9 of our 10 skaters have scored on the powerplay so far this season. What has led to the balanced scoring for us with the extra skater?

Balanced team means everyone has lower numbers but everyone contributes to the success of the team. Everyone is just as important of a player as the next

6. What is your favourite kind of doughnut?

That's tough. I would have to say Apple fritters

1. If you could pick a movie quote to describe your player, what would it be?

2. We're just a little over halfway through the season now. Are you happy with your player's season so far?

3. If you could bring back one defunct franchise from the NHL, which would it be?

4. We're 10 points back of first in the VHL, but we've got 8 of our next 13 games against teams in the bottom 4 in the league. How vital is it that we take as many points as possible from those kinds of games?

5. We've been struggling to string together long win streaks like some of the other teams have in the league. Is that a product of the schedule benefiting those teams, or do we need to do better in that aspect ourselves?

6. Who should be the next James Bond actor?